Got a shipping update from Pimax support regarding 8K X & 8K Plus

Are you saying the 8k and 5k+ were delivered on time?

All I’m saying is they never deliver on time. It’s difficult to refute but easy to rely on.

It’s frustrating to have no controllers and base stations this far in and sitting back watching them work on another cash grab before fulfilling previous orders, but at least I get to laugh at those expecting new orders to be smooth and on time.

5 Likes

IDK but I think they might just pull a rabbit out of the old hat and surprise everyone… Lets wait and see what CES brings… not much longer now! []-)

5 Likes

Yes that would be a pleasant surprise. People like actuati seem to take my posts to heart but I’m just stating facts as pimax support crew are notorious for giving false estimates when people try to cancel orders. I really want the best for this company. Just hoping Kevins hard work pays off this year so I can buy one myself

7 Likes

Talking of which, today we ought to get the new Pitool.

5 Likes

Yeah from the private conversations I have been having with them I can tell you that they are all working really hard to turn this around… Even though I am a relatively new Pimax user I fell in love with their tech the first time I tried it and am very much committed to helping them succeed in any way that I can both now and in the future. []-)

4 Likes

Well, I got a brotip for you: don’t fall in love too deeply.

8 Likes

A few months ago we also had no signs that they would delay shipping 8KX to next year.

But we had experience seeing Pimax missing their own announced dates almost every single time.

So it is logical to doubt that they will hit the date this time. It is on them to prove to themselves that they can do it. And maybe they will! Would be great as I’d love to get one that soon.

Even so, if they do ship in February, the 8KX would have already been delayed from their initial date around 20 months. The biggest word in 8KX backers mind would be FINALLY.

I kind of wished they just stuck to their End of March/Early April 2020 dates so if they did get them out early it would be a big positive surprise to everyone for once. Always err on overpromising (never underpromise) seems to be their way.

No, where did you read that ?!

My point just was that there is a difference between saying their estimated delivery dates are notoriously unreliable (which is true) and claiming that one knows that they will definitely not deliver on a given date - which is just blowing hot air and makes us backers seem ignorant to logic. No, we are not in a position to state that we can base our expectation of them failing to deliver in February on any kind of solid facts.
The track record argument doesn’t work well either - while they postponed their 8K deliveries multiple times, at the end they will have met their umpteenth reschuffled date when they eventually did deliver. And if you wanted to argue that we cannot expect them to deliver on the second date, i.e. first corrected date, they give for a product launch, then what is your sample size for this kind of argument - as this would be based on the probability of the whole series of delays in the 8K launch, it would be a sample size of 1. Not exactly of great scientific value, is it.
So much for the point I made and which you commented on.

On the subject matter: I am as frustrated as you are about sitting here with my 8K rendered useless because my og Vive base stations have both ceased to work properly in the meantime, and having to approach Matthew in the forum repeatedly to get my tickets for separate delivery of the base stations heard & (somewhat) responded to. I paid for them in 2017, and still Pimax is trying to tell us that we should wait for the base stations till their controllers are ready, which of course is by no means safe to assume to happen in 2020 at all.

But on the other hand I also can appreciate that Pimax may be living in a world of pain because the base stations in 2017 were announced by Valve as being better & cheaper, I recall a price of around 50-60 USD was being thrown around. I paid Pimax 300 USD for two controllers and two base stations, 150 USD for each pair.
300 USD probably gets you two base stations from Valve now, no change left. Okay, let’s assume they cut Pimax a bit of slack (though probably not really much), likely they are still being asked to pay significantly more than 150 USD for the base stations (which would be the amount I paid Pimax for the base stations), so Pimax may well be making loss on the base stations while still having to add packaging, apparently testing & QA (if Pimax have learnt what that stands for). Surely not an enviable position to be in even if the wise guys around here will tell me they should have fixed it contractually with Valve at the time - but perhaps Valve wasn’t prepared to commit yet but gave them some kind of statement of intent Pimax thought they could rely on. A small company like Pimax is not in a position to demand anything from Valve, and surely not where they need to use Valve’s SteamVR API and Lighthouse licenses.

Valve changed their approach for lighthouse licensing & base station supply quite a bit, even HTC was struggling with the supply, so I for my part am willing to acknowledge that Pimax may very well have been asked to deal with moving goal posts here.

2 Likes

BTW, where did you update on the forum?
I want to know where I can see updates like this rather than have to go through every thread to find it.

3 Likes

If you had to put your money on a roulette wheel but instead of red/black you have Feb/not Feb, where would you put your money?

I run a far smaller business than Pimax, a one person operation and have no business training. Yet I wouldn’t offer something without guaranteeing supply and having leeway in case something goes wrong. It’s about showing respect to the customer and creating a sense of reliability so they confidently become repeat customers…and protecting myself from losses.

Pimax continues to show disrespect and lack of reliability. It has been an eye opener for me to see how many people order again in such a situation, but I could never do that to customers.

And I can admit I’m just poking sticks at them through my frustration of them treating me poorly. They certainly deserve it from their behaviour. There’s just no way I’d be spending my time on getting new orders and fulfilling them instead of fulfilling older orders.

6 Likes

I can safely disagree with them. I was a pre-orderer from 21.Nov.18 for the 5k + and on the 5th of March it was there. Everything on and nothing defective, until today, the PITOOL software has improved enormously to this day, also because of 120HZ. Smaller modifications were necessary and with my IPD of 65.5 I have a sweet spot of 100 ° and only minimal distortion at the edges. My OG Vive had a total FOV of 85 °, I never saw it again.
I only need the Comfort Mod and the Modular Head Strap, then it will be perfect.
I am sure the new 8k + and 8kx will be great.
Anyway, I’m thrilled with my 5k + and don’t think I’m the only one.

Thanks to PIMAX

7 Likes

Great review of 5K plus.

Just curious, do you have cracks at your 5k plus ?

1 Like

https://community.openmr.ai/t/december-2019-updates/24154?u=heliosurge

Below Topic Control switch to Watching.

2 Likes

Thank you … I don’t see the word February in it though.

2 Likes

No cracks everything is great :+1:

1 Like

Only time will tell if it lasts uncracked…

In life I am a very skeptical person and was very worried at the beginning after reading a lot about problems.
But I can say that I used my 5k + at least every 2 days and often over 5 hours (F1 with VorpX and Project Cars2) whether at 16 ° or 35 ° room temperature. Everything lasts like on day 1.
A little tip for all people who have big problems to see real 3D. Get good 3D pictures or 3D bluerays or on YouTube Side by Side / HOU with depth and popups.
“Light moon” showed with 3 + 4 reference in 3D. Absolutely awesome and beautiful music.

edit, AMAZING 3D sbs #3DinTV - YouTube

4 Likes

How long do you own your Pimax?

It’s not updated

What about the work they are doing now on Pimax 8K X ?

after the good results of V.4 passing tests.

Your welcome. Started some Restructuring of layout. Should be easier to find things once Complete

3 Likes