Gameface "5k" headset to start shipping in a few weeks

“It also features two 2560×1440 OLED, low persistence displays with sub-20ms latency.”

“The kit can be pre-ordered for $599 and will start shipping to approved developers in the next few weeks.”

“Users will be able to tether their headset to a PC to access SteamVR content with six degrees of freedom (6DOF) Lighthouse tracking via base stations included with the kit.”

So it seems they might beat Pimax to the market!

2 Likes

Not going to wait for Pimax’s basestations, that’s for sure.

1 Like

…And here in Spanish. :slight_smile:

Last year they were talking about 2560x1440 OLED. 120º FOV with Leap Motion and eye tracking.

But this time it’s only for selected developers. They are aiming for this end of year.

Same old soup…sigh…sub 20ms Oled ?? What a joke…when less than 1ms panels come to the consumer, these will be the ones to pay your money for…

Until then…Pimax 5k/8k will do :wink:

That site mentions a single 1440p panel. Their own site talks about “VR displayS”: GFL Developer Kit with Android 7 (Nougat) Powered by NVIDIA Jetson TX2 | GameFace Labs Developer Platform so you’d think it was indeed dual panel, like uploadVR mentions.

I wonder why there is no mention of the fov and refresh rate…

1 Like

Gameface Labs says “VR DISPLAYS 2560×1440 WQHD OLED”. I supose Harold is saying “Displays of this type”, no “one display”.

post withdrawn by author

It’s quite unclear actually … The HMD itself doesn’t look like it would fit 2 panels, so maybe it is only 1

1 Like

Yes, Upload says two screens, we are checking with Gameface Labs.
Probably they are two screens (or just one), with a total resolution of:
1 x 2560 x 1440 or 2 x 1280 x 1440.

1 Like

Two displays would have been used. I have an experience with two panels made in such a way. They would eventually have to overlap about one third of the display to make the two images visible through the lens look like one. As a result, the size of the headset has become somewhat smaller, despite the use of two displays.

1 Like

I expect this topic to be useful for all in one module that pimax will release in the future.

I found another news about Qualcomm Snapdragon XR1

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-23/qualcomm-is-said-to-unveil-new-chipset-to-power-vr-ar-headsets

2 Likes

Just by looking at the screen shot of the unit, you can see the FOV is going to be closer to the 110 , not 200. The unit is barely as wide as the mans eyes/brow

me like it :slight_smile: WiFi build in ! so no cables and we can play steam games ?

NVIDIA Pascal™ Architecture GPU
2 Denver 64-bit CPUs + Quad-Core A57 Complex
8 GB L128 bit DDR4 Memory
32 GB eMMC 5.1 Flash Storage
Connectivity to 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth-Enabled Devices
10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet
VR DISPLAYS

2560×1440 WQHD OLED
Low Persistence
Ultra Low Latency <20ms

1 Like

One of the key features of the pimax 8k is the 200deg fov. The 100-110 fov headsets are going to be old hat once large fov rated HMDs go to market… Pimax being the closest but I suspect not the only brand coming soon!

Anybody know what the refresh rate is? 60 or 90. $599 is a little steep to be the guinea pig. Might wait until the Pimax 8k starts showing up on Ebay although I do like the immersion of the OLED panels better than the LCD panels!!

to be fair, the 8k will not not be using standard ‘common LCD’ but will be using CLPL which are custom designed by pimax to reduce ghosting and increase brightness to make is similar to OLED. you wont be getting the cheaper LCD we all hate with artifacts, ghosting, dull colours and uncrisp edges and below par gamma.

When i queried the panels in a PM to @deletedpimaxrep1 asking if the panels were still CLPL as mentioned on their main websie, she confirmed that they were still CLPL and this was confirmed while the M1 was being prepared to send to Beta testers - so i do not think they would of had time to change them.

Personally i would wait, the CLPL seem to have all the benefits of OLED but are LCD lowering the god rays etc… Customized Low Persistence Liquid displays (CLPL) will i think make its debut on the 8K etc.