Game profile issues

When a profile is created with eg. Potato FOV and other settings for a game, then when entering the game the profile is applied and works great.
But when exiting SteamVR, and PE reloads the last game profile is still loaded for PE.

Suggestion:
Please allways load the Common Profile when entering and reentering PE.

5 Likes

Hmm… thats how its supposed to be, because the headset stores the profile used in the runtime, and it will remember it upon next start of application.

Its not just the settings itself that is send to the headset when settings are changed, its the profile name as well. Everything is controlled by profiles, so Im never really sending a single value to the headset, Im sending a profile with one or multiple changed values to the headset.

Also, the thing is, anyone is supposed to create its own “favorite” profile, and I dont want to force people to use the Common Setting profile

Maybe I should add a setting in Profile options, to let you chose what profile should be run at startup?

BUT…

Still, that will require the headset to initialize and CHANGE the current settings upon startup, which is not optimal and may result in PE look like sh*t :slight_smile: Especially if the new settings are much higher than the settings currently stored in the active profile (inside HMD).

Let me give you an example:

1. You start with Common Settings (FOV Large for instance)
  2. You start Skyrim VR with its own SkyrimVR profile (FOV Potato for instance)
  3. All settings from SKyrim profile are automatically applied (if auto-profile is enabled) at start of the game
  4. HMD goes into Potatoo FOV mode and renders Skyrim correctly in Potato FOV.
  5. You play the game
  6. Now you quit Skyrim and SteamVR
  7. PiTool and the headset still uses the SkyrimVR profile and PotatoFOV.
  8. PE starts. Which means rendering already is started.
  9. Now, upon PE startup, lets say I force HMD to change to Common Setting profile again (upon startup)
  10. HMD gets Large FOV setting
  11. the Large FOV setting is suddenly rendered, but the amount of pixels is still used for Potato FOV (because rendering started before changes were applied to the FOV).
  12. Result: PE looks extremely low resolution. And it will look bad unless you change back to Potato FOV again.

Do you see what I mean here?

What Im trying to prevent here is to PE looko bad at any time. It starts up with the settings you already set before. Based on these settings, the Unity Player renders the image. It cannot reload the rendering once its started. Not even if I reload the unity Scene (as I do with Restart button).

2 Likes

Continuing: The only proper solution to this, would be to let PiTool apply the “default” profile, every time right before PVRHome is launched.

2 Likes

Exactly what im experiencing :smiley:

1 Like

I totally agree with your observation here :slight_smile: and the solution

1 Like