Future of OpenMR Forums

What’s happening to the OpenMR Forums???

It’s very sluggish. A few days ago it was impossible to access. That was the way for 4 days.

If Pimax have lost interest then maybe they should hand it over to someone who wants to keep it going. Some one who wants to invest time and effort to make the forum succeed and have a future community.

Pimax need to do one or the other.

3 Likes

TBH right now it is not much happening/activity in this forum and exspecially regarding Pimax news or activity. The real last activity by Pimax and the members was around the crystal release and the XR-4 event. Since then beside the AVP launch the forum seems to be in some sort of sleeping mode.
I miss the days around the pimax 8X and crystal release time, as the activity here was far more higher.

I hope that in the near future this will change again here to more activity, as I really like this forum and all nice members!

Can confirm this, I had also difficulties to access the forum. Luckily this happens not so often and more like a few times per year, which is completely tolerable for me.

2 Likes

Yes seems very quiet here, I enjoyed interacting with some different forum members.

Pimax news has gone somewhat quiet recently? Perhaps like most of the VR industry, it’s been overshadowed by AVP launch and more recently by news about Sony’s lacklustre promotion of psvr2.

Thoroughly enjoy using my Crystal (and also my index) whilst having a stack of games many unplayed still to get through. RTX 4080 doing a stellar job considering it’s reasonable price.

Amazing time to be PCVR gamer despite many proclaiming PCVR is dead! As someone who’s been using VR since early 90’s Im still super impressed by what we currently have access to.

3 Likes

Nice Crystal unit and valve knuckles, I really like the yellow covers on them!

Could contribute to that, is a weird time currently in that regard, isn`t it ?

4080 is indeed a nice gpu!

Upphh, than you are far longer into VR than me, I started roughly five to six years ago with VR like nearly everbody at that time with the original Vive, then Samsung Odyssey + and very quickly moving to Pimax.
I can remember the first time I saw the awesome FOV of the 5K + and how I was astonished by it.
Crazy what has changed since that… and will change in the coming years.
The 12 K will be some milestone and later a HMD with the Hypervision 240 degree hFOV lenses will be the ultimate best VR HMD money can buy!

4 Likes

At present like last year pimax’s mail server is broken since Jan 17. A Reddit user @sci666 informed me on Reddit that he was unable to sign up. So ATM only those ppl logging in regularly are seeing new posts.

This is one of the reasons I have been working on

Cleaner interface & more features that add qol.

2 Likes

My most recent project, following years of dabbling with hardware.

5 Likes

Looks pretty cool. What does it do?

2 Likes

It’s a modular steamVR controller, “openXRC” project

The entire thing assembles from parts with a couple of Allen keys, so can be completely customised and rebuilt.

Controls are adjustable for optimum fit. Haptic handstrap eliminate tracking jitter whilst creating awesome in hand feeling.

Another picture below.

4 Likes

Now that is cool. When will it be ready for mass production?:sunglasses:J/K! I’m assuming here but it looks like some components were 3D printed. Parts list somewhere? I’m certainly interested in your project. Where can I follow your progress?

4 Likes

This was the final chapter of my modular steamVR controller project, following

Project Caliper

Project Modular

Long story short, it wasn’t going to happen without the backing of a platform holder due to production costs including patent licensing

2 Likes

The server experienced downtime, but our web developer has rectified the issue and is investigating the underlying cause.

Indeed, there has been a lull in activity on the forum lately. I’m contemplating strategies to reignite engagement.

5 Likes

The mail server is down again like last year. Cannot have much engagement when no one is getting emails. Including new users that have tried to sign up between Jan 17 and now.

Is the email server fixed? As it is likely the same cause as last year.

EDiT - I see it has been fixed with emails going out on Mar 9

3 Likes

Well one obvious reason is what @Heliosurge mentioned, new users couldn’t sign up. But I also think the other reason is that Pimax has not been sharing news anymore on this forum, only on discord, although I assume that also has dried up in recent months. But either way, if Pimax wants to keep this forum alive, it’s probably a good idea to share news both on discord as here and not exclusively on discord.

4 Likes

Yes, the mail server has been fixed since you reported it.

4 Likes

I’ll upload all news and updates across these 3 platforms: OpenMR, Discord and r/Pimax.

4 Likes

The Forum is still very sluggish. Sometimes it’s hard to get past this screen.

2 Likes

With no feedback from forum operators I come to the conclusion nobody at Pimax cares.

Still getting the same problem today.

Pimax really need to hand over the running of this forum to someone who cares.

2 Likes

Another day with the same loading problem.

Is anyone at Pimax taking note?

2 Likes

I should have time this week to take a look ATM we have had a small technical detail that is being looked into.

Let me know how the forum is performing. Update completed

2 Likes