For those who received lighthouses from the pledge (or order) from Pimax

Well Steam Support would likely presume folks are keeping firmware up to date and be using latest diagnostic info based on led color codes.

Ment Pimax support not steams.

1 Like

I agree on the status light, this was also part of the reason I wrote the original post. I cannot judge the tracking operation difference between 2001 and 3008 (and must take Valve’s or rather @PimaxUSA word on it), but I know that there are subtle differences in BT LE.

It is true that BT LE does not concern Pimax headsets directly, because none supports BT LE, but it could still be important to the users who would want to control their lighthouses. Power management (i.e. turning the bases on and off) should be possible with 2001, but the channel config seems to be a bit problematic as there seems to be no (obvious) way to get the channel number from the base, compared to 3008 where it is quite easy. So for those who want to control theirs lighthouses remotely by DYI tools, there is a clear incentive to flash them with 3008.

1 Like

One other option might be to find a bluetooth dongle that has that broadcom chip as we might be able to install the steamvr bluetooth driver.

Similarly I recall a method to get wii motes working with a non Toshiba Bluetooth dongle involving installing the Toshiba software and then swapping out bluetooth driver name in one of the configs. So something similar might also be possible.

If pimax simply makes the linkbox that they had said they’d look into would be a good fix. Otherwise they should stipulate the LH compatibility issue with the bluetooth.

What is interesting is why pimax’s valve lighthouses are bundled with an extremely old firmware considering Firmware 3008 was released in 2019. However I suspect it is due to valve clearing v2 lighthouses prior to the Hardware and housing revision. Saving pimax a small amount vs purchasing latest revision. Tracking wise they are the same save the revised version Iirc has I think 10° wider FoV.

There likely using Valve’s debugging info that is up to date while these LHes are using an out of spec firmware that uses obsolete color coding.

Pimax tech maybe unaware of the diagnostic coding changes of the ones there distributing vs the more current version. Another reason to have the firmware updated to avoid confusion.

Hello,

Thank you for the useful tip risa!
We do appreciate it!

Could we bookmark this and share it to others on the community. Pretty sure it would helps other to resolve the similar issue.

Somehow, we have forwarded this to the engineer, so let’s see what they can do for the lighthouse matter.

Sincerely.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.