[FIXED] Audio suddenly about 50% lower. Halp?

Annoyingly, I am not sure if this is a Pimax issue, a steam one, or a windows one. Or perhaps even a headphones one.

I use a DAS. Suddenly, all my audio is at about 50%. Like, even if I set it to max.

I have tried

• altering in steam vr settings
  • altering it on dektop
  • altering it in the windows control panel settings
  • rebooting everything
  • verifying steam vr
  • switching to SteamVR beta
  • Reseating audio lead in headset

but with all at max it is still quiet.

I know I could add a gain filter using Peace and Equaliser APO, but it was working without this before so I’d kinda like it working properly again.

Any tips? Thanks.

Solution below :

Fixed!

Embarrisingly, it was fixed by the windows trouble shooter. You know, that thing that is useless 99% of the time.

Had to connect the headset so it saw the USB audio, then ran the troubleshooter. It found two issues, one relating to some stopped sound services or whatever, and one I think relating to the driver (can’t remember exactly as I didn’t expect it to work), then I rebooted, now all is fine.

2 Likes

Any recent updates? Windows etc

I had this happen recently. I had installed an older version of PiTool, so I figured that had something to do with it. Installing the newest version seems to have fixed it, but I don’t see how the older(255)version was an issue since it caused no problems when it was ‘new’.

3 Likes

Probably? But I don’t think any occured at the same time as this started. Not sure though. I mostly update without making a metal note etc. The main suspect, if it’s an update, would be steam, as it updates every week or so, I guess. But I would have expected others to have the issue too if this was the cause (or if it was windows etc. too, tbh). I’m not on the SteamVR beta branch although I have considered trying that.

There was a gfx driver update around that time but as the audio is not through HDMI or similar I don’t think this would be it.

1 Like

Hmm I may try different versions / uninstalling re-installling, thanks. I’m on 258, if the number under settings is right. I have been on this version for weeks though and the issue only started a few days ago.

1 Like

It could be a coincidence that I got the audio bug at the same time that something else had updated. I figured it could be a combination of an older Pitool with current graphics drivers/steamvr.

2 Likes

I searched a lot about it before cause i got this problem since I got the 5k+.
The only way I managed to solve it was using the APO method =/

i’ll be following this thread if someone suggests something.

1 Like

FWIW I tried the SteamVR beta, no difference.

Fixed!

Embarrisingly, it was fixed by the windows trouble shooter. You know, that thing that is useless 99% of the time.

Had to connect the headset so it saw the USB audio, then ran the troubleshooter. It found two issues, one relating to some stopped sound services or whatever, and one I think relating to the driver (can’t remember exactly as I didn’t expect it to work), then I rebooted, now all is fine.

4 Likes

Sure that all plugs are 101% THIGHT fitting and correctly inserted all the way or the plug on the board ist not lose? I had that a few times and every time it was the plugs… (not only in)VR)

Sorry I was to late.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.