First impressions Pimax 8K backer №974 (Google Translate form Russian) + Photo through the lens 8K

User from the forum 4PDA.ru received 8K in Russia.
I did the translation through google translate. This is not my review.
He has some problems.

The first thing I’m trying to solve now is low resolution. It is felt in the absence of clarity in the image, as well as in the complete unreadability of the fonts in Bigskrina and the virtual desktop. Current settings:

Summary

s2

I feel somewhere a dirty trick and conflict.
Otherwise, about the first impression, although it is probably wrong to give them out for the final, because important points are still not resolved. I also remember how many of those who received helmets, at first were not enthusiastic, but then changed their minds.
I’m also in an uncertain state at the moment.

Firstly, the headset straps are inconvenient, the seams are rough and when fitting the straps are in the ear area, respectively, they create pressure and discomfort. (subjective moment)

Secondly, a strong smell, when I ordered a large mouse pad from China, I also encountered a similar smell, weathered it on the balcony for about two weeks.
The face pad smells weaker, while it doesn’t cause any unpleasant sensations, unlike my PIMAX 4K, the pad of which, after prolonged wear, dug the pores of the sponge into the skin of the face. (subjective moment)

The above is not the main thing, of course, given for information.
On lenses, fresnel and that says it all. I clearly see the glare, they are more pronounced if the helmet is tightly fixed on the head, i.e. the eyes are maximal to the lenses, in such a position the illumination goes along the fresnel rings (semicircular highlights). When I remove the helmet, the glare disappears or becomes weaker. They are not the same as in the helmet lenovo, but still exist. Apparently, you need to change the face pad to a more dense one, since the loss in the viewing angle will in any case be insignificant.

Also on the lenses, the wheel of adjustment of the interpupillary distance is not informative, it has idling, it even seems that the reading of the value on the screen of the helmet and the position of the wheel may not coincide, but this is just a guess. By the way, when you scroll the adjustment wheel, the IPD value immediately appears on the screen.

As for the clarity of the image and the adjustment of the helmet in a vertical position on the face, then there is such a moment, you need to raise the helmet more upwards, otherwise the muddy image, probably also the Fresnel heritage.

And the most important thing that disappointed me is the gap between the lenses, I see it and notice that I see it often. This is a thin vertical arc, more pronounced towards the bottom, is almost not noticeable when you look straight, but if you just look to the side, this gap is like a partition between the eyes. Because of this, the sensation of an inseparable whole picture in a helmet is lost. I brought the lenses as close to each other as possible, while the ipd value is displayed as 60, this did not eliminate the septum effect.
The overall picture in the helmet or field of view looks like this:
p1

The borders of the screen and the helmet are visible, the top is smaller, the sides are larger. This is not a pipe, but not a complete view of the view. Does this feeling cause delight? Rather, no, looking at it you understand that the field of view is extended, but apparently due to the fact that on the sides you can see the borders of the helmet and this reduces the effect of full immersion. But it should be noted that the screen already holds more pictures, for example, you can see the entire front part of the cabin, as well as the right mirror of the car in the autostimulator from the cab, which was impossible with other helmets. Senturi has already provided similar information from the reviews of other helmet owners.

As described earlier, there is a blur around the edges of the lenses. In Virtual Desktop applications, these blurring and geometric distortions are expressed very clearly. With a slow turn of the head from side to side, a strange effect can be observed, the picture seems to roll up and unfold from these edges (barrel effect). To this we add geometric distortions, when the rectangle located on the front top when turning the helmet is drawn out at the corners. Straight lines bend. This effect is not pronounced everywhere, it does not appear brightly in the autosumulator in the passenger compartment of the car, but if it stops near a traffic light, then when you turn the helmet, the traffic light will start to bend a little.

Screen-door effect or pixels, I unfortunately see them. I have myopia and therefore what I see close and well. And I begin to see them not only on a light background, for example, the sky, but also on people’s faces, and on everything else. On PiMAX 4K, the Christmas tree pattern appeared on bright colors, otherwise it was necessary to peer. Here is the diagonal pattern.

So the only positive thing I see in this helmet is an extended field of view, it is not so exciting, but it still looks more natural.

Original source

edit: Here I sit and think that the letters are blurring suspiciously, it seems that the supersampling was unscrewed and the helmet is sitting tight. I decided to put on my glasses, put on the letters and at once the outlines acquired, they became clearer, the text in Windows Explorer became readable. True, I had previously reduced supersampling for the sake of experiment by 100 and then I put on my glasses, did not plan one for the other, it happened. Still in a virtual desktop I observe ripples. This ripple, as if the overlay in the form of heterogeneous color transfusions on straight lines, was observed similarly after installing the title on top of the pipe on the helmet of pimax 4K. Here, this ripple is also present.
I measure my eyesight in 2005, my left eye: -2.0, right: -1.75, but now I think that it has worsened a bit, as I usually don’t wear glasses. It should be noted that in PiMax 4K and in Lenovo helmets, I did well without glasses, the texts were read normally, I did not have any difficulty.

4 Likes

First review I read that discussed that funky smell the HMD has… that was something I noticed right away the first time I put the 5K+ on.

1 Like

This looks like a russian sorrow mood review. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is such a moment… :roll_eyes:
But now the situation is beginning to improve a little :slightly_smiling_face:
This 8K owner is a bit myopic vision. (minus 2)
He put on his glasses: and the fonts, texts and symbols - everything became clear.
Here is his quote:

Here I sit and think that the letters are blurring suspiciously, it seems that the supersampling was unscrewed and the helmet is sitting tight. I decided to put on my glasses, put on the letters and at once the outlines acquired, they became clearer, the text in Windows Explorer became readable. True, I had previously reduced supersampling for the sake of experiment by 100 and then I put on my glasses, did not plan one for the other, it happened. Still in a virtual desktop I observe ripples. This ripple, as if the overlay in the form of heterogeneous color transfusions on straight lines, was observed similarly after installing the title on top of the pipe on the helmet of pimax 4K. Here, this ripple is also present.
I measure my eyesight in 2005, my left eye: -2.0, right: -1.75, but now I think that it has worsened a bit, as I usually don’t wear glasses. It should be noted that in PiMax 4K and in Lenovo helmets, I did well without glasses, the texts were read normally, I did not have any difficulty.

2 Likes

Skrindor sounds like something out of Lord of the Rings.

3 Likes

Thanks, corrected the text :grin:

My ranking of new HMD Smells: Vive > Oculus Go > Samsung Odyssey > Pimax
Step your smells up Pimax!
:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

A picture through a lens 8K and the comment from the author:

Nikon D7000 with a macro lens Sigma 50mm.
PiTool 1.0, SS=200%

In the last two screens from the Bigscreen application, you can see that the letters are ripples from colored pixels, so they blur the text. If you look at the background of the last two screenshots, you can see that the small text is not readable at all. The smaller the text, the less it reads. On the screen with the face, the pixels are seen.

and Lenovo Explorer for Comparison:

Summary

And now a direct comparison of the Lenovo Explorer with the Pimax 8K:

Girl’s face

BigScreen

Author’s comment:

I still think that something went wrong, maybe I will find a solution and add clarity and resolution. At least to us (forum users), helmets are already coming, when they come, then it will be possible to compare.
In Project CARS 2 it is already possible to play with glasses, the devices are already readable and distinguishable, not like on a 4K pimax, but still. The fact that here you already have to use glasses means that the focal distance from the lenses to the screen has changed. This is sad of course, because I did not plan to use glasses. In any case, WoW effect did not work.

1 Like

:joy:
How can you take such review seriously?

6 Likes

Machine translation strikes again. :7

No it’s not machine translation, the guy complains about clarity and plays with SS but it does not help … then he puts his glasses on and discovers that clarity gets better :rofl:

8 Likes

Exactly :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: like wtf…how do you not wear glasses in vr if you wear them all the time? And he really made a review without even putting on his glasses I’m lost for words.

2 Likes

Well, second line in the OP states right away that what we see is the original impressions mangled through Google Translate (EDIT: Heck, it’s in the topic), and the result is incoherent and nigh on impossible to parse enough, that I’m inclined to give the writer the benefit of doubt, at the expense of the Alphabet corporation.

…and even if he did make this mistake, the sheer number of times I’ve seen perfectly intelligent people make that very same one, I’d also be inclined to not curbstomp him for making a bad assumption. :7

The author of the review practically never wears glasses, especially in VR.
He has a Pimax 4K, a Lenovo Explorer, and he never needed glasses there. He has a small myopia, in which even the car can be easily driven.
Please do not make an elephant out of a fly :poop:
Let’s constructively approach the discussion without pickling to Google translation, , if you are adult sane people, Do not disappoint me :slightly_smiling_face:

Better pay attention to the photo.
On the whole, it turns out that 8K has SDE and resolution is approximately at the level of Lenovo Explorer :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Lenovo has 706ppi grid, P8K - around 800ppi diamond. So, they r about the same.

2 Likes

Worst photos I ve ever seen on this forum, or perhaps they are edited because he wanted to show us what he sees without his glasses…

Yes, I think so too. This is not so bad in fact. For example, I am satisfied with the SDE and clarity in Lenovo. On 5K + everything should be worse at 2560x1440 … (although we don’t know the size of the panels 5К+ to calculate the PPI, but in any case PPI 5K + will be worse than Lenovo Explorer)

1 Like

The author made a photo at the request. He may not have tried too hard, but at least SDE is visible on these photos. These are the original photos, which were later enlarged for more detailed viewing for direct comparison.
At least SDE is perfectly visible on these photos, as well as the readability of fonts compared to Lenovo.

Can you find similar photos on this forum through the lens 8K comparison with Lenovo? :roll_eyes:

Yes, and we have enough 8K owners here to confirm that they see the same thing.

I have the same myopia as that guy (-1.75, -2) and I wear glasses always, also in VR. Because it’s needed.

I also have a Pimax 4K and need to wear my glasses in them. The fact he says he can live without them is maybe something he can live with but he has simply decided to be ok with a blurry screen. Nobody should do that, doesn’t matter if it’s possible it will degrade the image quality

1 Like