First Impressions of the X from a person that doesn't care about color and doesn't see distortion from the 5K+

No, no, better one “leave as it was found” checkbox, @SweViver . I maybe leave some changes in that files.

I’ll change it but whenever I change my GPU render target scale it changes itself back, the highest I got it was 0.56ish.

For GPUSpeed I can change it to 2000, but GPUSpeed 10 will always change itself back.

1 Like

No worries your understandably busy with various parts of the project.

A simple script to overwrite the settings file we could likely create for folks pre Experience release as I am sure some have done so already.

2 Likes

I believe so yes, although the online profile part will not be included in the first releases, as its really far from done yet. Im getting a little late to get all things done… The last weeks I have found many things to improve and change on the current Alpha. The VR Exp might not look so complicated, but it really is a challenge for me to get all functions to execute correctly, and make it reliable and free of bugs here and there… Im working on it on full time, basically every day.

Its a little complicated, as there are many ways to do this. But there will be options so you can choose whenever SteamVR settings are supposed to be made automatically (upon game start) or not.
Also, for whatever change is made, there is always a backup file made and stored for instant recover.

Yes, as said, new backup file (date and time stamp) is created and can be selected and reverted to, at any point.

Hmm, Im not following you here? Sorry too much coding eats my brain lately :slight_smile:

10 Likes

At one point PiTool was supposed to become open source. The VR exp being a virtual extension to PiTool would surely be part of the open source package I reckon?

1 Like

You need to change all 10 gpuSpeed values (gpuSpeed0 to gpuSpeed9)
Thing is, once you start up SteamVR after changing all to 2000, it will change the value 0 again to the one thet it gets from the benchmark. Now, it calculates the gpuSpeedHorsepower based on an average value of your gpuSeed0 to gpuSpeed9.
So lets say you have:
gpuSpeed0 with the new automatic value of 939, and gpuSpeed1 to 9 is still 2000, then the gpuSpeedHorsepower will be calculated as:
939+2000+2000+2000+2000+2000+2000+2000+2000+2000 divided by 10, so it should be 1,894.

this means, the gpuSpeedRenderTargetScale is based on gpuSpeedHorsepower (which is 1894).

Quit SteamVR and start it again, and now it changes the second value as well, so it shows:
939+939+2000+2000+2000+2000+2000+2000+2000+2000 divided by 10, so it should be 1788.

this means, for every SteamVR restart, the gpuSpeedHorsepower decreases. This is why you need to change this 10 values to 2000 so often. Because after 10 restarts, you have no 2000 values left.

In your screenshot above, you have only gpuSpeed 0 to 2 available, which means you have only started SteamVR 3 times since you started to use the steamvr.vrsettings (or since it resetted to default). So thats why your gpuSpeedHorsepower is only 1292.

So try again by changing all 10 values :slight_smile:

(This is one of the reasons it will be much easier with the VR Experience, as you can set these values to always be updated upon each SteamVR launch.)

5 Likes

To be honest, I have no idea whats happening with the PiTool OpenSource as of today. Robin confirmed recently that PiTool OpenSource WILL be updated and executed, but lately the team is just too busy with other things and its all been postponed.

5 Likes

The changes VR Experience does are put UPON your current profile. So nothing is really removed or replaced, except for the few values that we change (gpuSpeed, maxRecommendedResolution etc).
But yes, backups are made every time. And the first backup that is made is always your original file before any changes made by VR Experience.

6 Likes

Please add a field to put custom script which will be executed every time you start a game.

I guess it can be a highly useful feature to use custom settings for other purposes like games that still not yet supported or for new steamvr settings which will be released later but still won’t be supported by pimax experience yet.

5 Likes

Hmm you mean a input for a path to a *.bat file or something?

3 Likes

Think I may have found a way to get steamvr.vrsettings to stick.
I set “gpuSpeedCount” : 0,
Run then stop steamVR 5 times untill “gpuSpeedCount” : 5,
Then change to “gpuSpeedCount” : 15,

You can then change all settings and they should stick.
This has made the settings stick for me, maybe it will work for others.
I did try this with “gpuSpeedCount” : 10, but it just loops around again and nothing sticks.

3 Likes

yes exactly, just a text field to a filename which will be executed before every game or application like steamvr, it will allow to create custom scripts & share with community to address some specific cases which later can be added as part of Pimax Experience

3 Likes

Simply that altering these files grom PE should be a selectable option. As one a user might not want these optimizations being made for them if they have there own prefered modified file or not comfortable with it being done.

Just make various optimizations selectable.

1 Like

I was referring to a meanwhile solution. Similar to scripts folks had created to start and stop pi services. Until PE is rolled out.

2 Likes

I just received my 8K-X, no cloth in the box. Actually, nothing in the box except for the HMD (with 5m cable) and the silicone protective sleeve (tightly wrapped up in a cardboard tube). No instructions, and no cloth.

7 Likes

Please give some impressions after trying it out

1 Like

Congrats on receiving. Though this is concerning @PimaxQuorra

Did you receive it with the Modular Audio Strap?

1 Like

Congratulations on recieving your 8K X :slightly_smiling_face:
Sounds a bit wierd that stuff is missing but there is a silicone sleeve tucked along in a cardboard tube ?

looking forward to reading your impressions if you post some :+1:

2 Likes

Haha, people doubting me about the cloth I searched EVERYWHERE for the Cloth. @PimaxUSA @SweViver @PimaxQuorra Please include a cloth in the Backer Box Please!

@Darkcyde Did you at least have the SMAS included. I also got the Silicone Sleeve.

2 Likes

Yes, I got the SMAS.

3 Likes