First Impressions of the Samsung Odyssey+

First impressions looking good. Defiantly sounds like an Oculus killer. Just a pity the FOV didn’t get a bump

@Sjef looks like they cleaned up SDE for good

“The “sweet spot” in the center is much bigger and the image is more consistently clear as you look away from the center. Oh, and there is NO SDE. At all. I’ve looked hard and can’t see any. If I really try then I can see very tiny pixels”

5 Likes

Well that’s great news that Samsung has solved SDE! Can’t wait till other HMD manufacturers start using their anti SDE tech.

3 Likes

There is a roadtovr article posted on the method they used. It’s a dispersion filter similar to what psvr used but in the actual display.

Of Which Samsung is from what they said not selling to 3rd parties. Ie htc & Oculus.

Article here

3 Likes

It’s nothing new I believe @Cdaked suggested this idea long before Samsung Odyssy+ about using a dispersion filter to mute/eliminate remaining sde.

3 Likes

I suspect that what they do is reflect a smaller copy of the real pixels over the dark spaces between pixels, to reduce them without blurring the image.
Or at least that’s what it looks like in the promotional images of technology.

Samsung Anti-SDE AMOLED Display solves SDE by applying a grid that diffuses light coming from each pixel and replicating the picture to areas around each pixel. This makes the spaces between pixels near impossible to see. In result, your eyes perceive the diffused light as part of the visual content, with a perceived PPI of 1,233PPI, double that of the already high 616PPI of the previous generation Samsung HMD Odyssey+ [sic].

This could increase the sharpness too, because is more like adding reflected subpixels. This real pixels and reflected subpixels have blacks around (but 50% the size) it’s not a blurred image, I think.

3 Likes

This could still be an idea for future pimax projects. Though Nvidia cascaded displays could be neat to explore.

3 Likes

I think it would be great to do this for the 5K BE and the Pimax 8K (because of its pixel layout.)

At such a high FOV, getting rid of SDE entirely is really the only box Pimax needs to tick. I feel its even more important because Pimax can only recieve so much benefit from supersampling.

4 Likes