Finally I received PIMAX VISION 8KX today [Review]

Thatcis quite impressive! Especially since you mentioned a 1070ti to boot.

2 Likes

Awesome! Did you get a delivery tracking number or did it just show up?

1 Like

Could you try large fov and see how distortion is it like for you?

1 Like

I received Fedex tracking number by email a couple of days ago.(The day when it was broadcast on youtube)

2 Likes

FOV can be set from Large to Potato.
To set Potato, just cut off the outside of view.
So distortion is not change.

A real pitty about the brightness (and maybe the colors)

I found that also on the pimax 8kplus the brightness was too low,when i afterwards put on the index …i was from yes… this is the brightness i want…

2 Likes

Thanks for the headsup and congrats to your new 8KX :slight_smile: I think you are the first one in the world having one actually!

Regarding the brightness, I see you have brightness set to -4 in PiTool. Isnt that very low? Have you tried resetting the options in PiTool and see what the brightness looks like on default?

Also, for optimal image quality, I highly suggest you use PiTool RQ at 1.0 and play more with the game settings or SteamVR SuperSampling to improve performance if needed. There is quite a big difference in overall sharpness on 1.0 compared to 0.75 I think. Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Distortion is precisely located at the extremity of the FOV, so pitool FOV setting will obviously affects how much you see them. You must use large FOV to check about the distortion (large FOV distortion is what most people want to know about, but you can additionnaly check with normal FOV too).

You may want to check this video for the through the lens part displaying a test pattern (grid with circles). Checking deformation of circles is the best way to check if geometry gets distorted at the FOV extremities.
At 2min55s: https://youtu.be/O1D_FbBJZ04

You can display such test patern using virtual desktop (or any other app that can display pictures, as long as you can move/rotate your head with the picture staying still in the VR environment = test pattern must not follow head movements).

4 Likes

Greetings from further down the queue. Congrats! Shame you have nothing else to compare it to though.

3 Likes

Really? How far from the center? This would be the first time I have seen or heard of chromatic aberration in such a Pimax headset.

1 Like

Can you describe this chromatic aberration?
I didn’t see any when I tried it back in November

1 Like

That part at 2:55 is so awesome because it shows EXACTLY what I see with pimax headsets

2 Likes

Example of chromatic aberration (before photo)

1 Like

We know what chromatic aberration is of course. What is unexpected is to hear of it with an 8kX.

This could be a (hopefully very rare) manufacturing defect.

3 Likes

It’s nice to hear he sees no distortion

1 Like

He seems to not understand what it is since he says that the FoV mode should not affect it. So he must have a different idea of what distortion is.

Either way, it’s all about comparing opinions from people who saw distortion on previous Pimax headsets. That should tell us if it indeed has gotten any better

1 Like

I agree and Im as well surprised to hear that. Been long ago since I saw any CA, probably during the old m1/m2 beta phase. Either way, nice to hear about the lack of visible distortion.

4 Likes

condescending much? :joy: Not everyone does!

It’s very possible incorrect terminology is being used, not everyone knows what chromatic aberration is. So always worth checking with people, same with other terms. Even sweviver has had one or two of the common vr terminologies misunderstood in the past so always good to get confirmation and if people have it wrong to help educate.

13 Likes

Not condescending at all. Pardon if I read that post as directed at me, rather than the OP.

On a similar note…

Regarding distortion - this will be very difficult to perceive without a base station for 6dof tracking. Not only that, but the roomscale use cases that tend to be more sensitive to distortion are much less enjoyable without 6dof anyway.

2 Likes

You have brightness setting as -4. Did you try to set it to 0 or higher? Not sure how it works but minus sounds very low.

Also what is with the obsession with distortion everybody screams at. People who havent even tried the headset are the most loud people about the subject.

This guy says that there is no distortionion and still some people spoon feed him, saying that yes there is… I mean, what??

2 Likes