Finally I received PIMAX VISION 8KX today [Review]

Dude, same thing, my system can only run dcs at 30-60fps depending on which server I’m on, but running in the 120 or 144 hz mode is just butter smooth compared to running in 90hz mode. I can’t make sense out of it, but it is very noticeable.

2 Likes

at this time, for Xplane would be 40Hz the optimum :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Just saying hi from Stockholm, backer 281 up and running. Not a lot to say yet, I have much testing to do before I draw any conclusions.

50 Likes

Congrats!

If you‘d be so kind as to share your first impressions before any in-depth statements, I‘m sure we‘d all appreciate it to tide us over until we have our units ourselves.

12 Likes

Awesome, congratulations!

1 Like

OK some very preliminary notes, then:

Setup was silky smooth, I can’t imagine how it could have been any easier. Unplugged my Index, plugged this in, Ran latest Pitools, paired controllers, done.

Screen brightness is low at default, but I have yet to explore how I can get the settings better so this might very well be a non-issue ultimately.

There is some light leakage by the temples, and I see reflections of those leaks in the lenses. This is despite a fairly big head—I’m 185 cm / 6’1" for reference—and won’t be trivial to address. Obviously in a darker environment it’s a lesser issue.

Comfort is definitely something to evaluate long term but I am so far not finding a setting for the halo strap and headband that gets it close to the Index in comfort (which is my #1 reference for this parameter). But again, time will tell here.

Not going to comment on lenses etc until I’ve done way more testing. But if anyone else tested Panasonic’s 200 degree FOV prototype back in the day, you can rest assured it’s way better than that =)

My first test was some Google Earth and it was quite magical; this resolution and clarity really does something profound for the sense of presence in a virtual space.

On some other titles there is predictably some peripheral flickering due to frustum culling being hard coded to a narrower FOV, and while this isn’t Pimax’ fault it does limit the enjoyability of those specific titles.

The built in audio so far seems inferior to that of the Quest or Rift S, more on par with the Go. But obviously a headset like this should be paired with something far better anyway, these little emitters here are just placeholders really.

35 Likes

This. 20 Char…

4 Likes

Thanks for your review! BTW, not sure if you know, but if not, the culling can be removed by selecting parallel projections on (at the cost of some fps)

2 Likes

Well, for me the Vive-DAS fits even better than the Index headstrap. But that depends clearly on headshape…

1 Like

Fantastic effort on a first impression, thank you!

The comfort will always be subjective and based on each individual’s head shape, but coming from an Index you might try wearing it like a VivePro (the back part way low, cradling your occipital bone).

Would you be prepared to comment on perceived clarity and SDE, specifically in relation to the Index?

Also, do you find the refresh rate of only 75hz compared to the Index‘ 144hz noticeably distracting so far?

5 Likes

That very last suggestion about using eye tracking to calibrate lens warping is an extremely good idea. I hope you caught that Pimax. With the eye tracking, the exact position and rotation of the eyes could be precisely measured, and the projection profile could be adjusted accordingly. No lens distortion ever again with the eye tracking module.

1 Like

That’s a great picture, props to the photographer. Which might be you too probably

2 Likes

oborling, those are two great pics of you. I’m including your little profile pic. Who’s your photographer?

Hah that’s just my iphone, triggered (with 3s delay) from my apple watch. Tiny color adjustment in VSCO. The profile pic is a proper Canon 5D on the roof of the Here Be Dragons office in New York (RIP dragons!).

2 Likes

I need to make comparative tests with the same material and scrutinize all the settings before I can comment on how this ranks versus anything else. But obviously this kind of resolution is going to be very nice regardless. That said, PSVR looks better than its 1080 and Quest looks worse than its 1600 so panel type and lenses obviously make a huge difference.

144 on the Index is incredible and 72/75 range headsets can feel a bit “off” in some titles. Weirdly I personally think the Rift S at 80 looks really good, so panel type and implementation clearly matters too. How FOV impacts perceived smoothness will be interesting to examine here but I don’t have a specific comment yet; I also need to ensure I am not dropping frames so that the evaluation is fair, which can be a bit hard when Steam’s default render resolution for 8KX is 3776x3160 per eye…

11 Likes

Very nice

What CPU, GPU do you have ?

1 Like

@objorling some records seem familiar to me… xD

1 Like

I’ve noticed my GPU fans go crazy in SteamVR Home…so I’ve shut it off, visiting it every now and then, because the environments are awesome.

2 Likes

I’m the same, I see 72Hz flickering in Quest and the saw it in Pimax 72Hz…however, when I tried the X in NYC, I remember just looking around and enjoying the view in Aerofly FS2, with a bright sky, no SDE, not noticing any flickering…of course that was a demo and maybe I haven’t had time to get used to the headset…but maybe those 3 extra Hz helps? I don’t notice 80Hz flickering on Index either…so maybe the panels are are just better in general.

2 Likes

You look like a Pimax ad. Haha…also, my excitement is real considering I have like 4 posts in a row here.

2 Likes