[FAQ] Getting Started 5k & 8k

Think I have invited a good chunk of users whom have the headset & team members. Please add your name to the wiki post as all will be contributors

Hi there, I’ve taken screen captures of many solutions to frequent problems early backers have found, I’ll upload them when I have a minute since they could be useful.

3 Likes

When having a difficult hardware problem post your system specs by

1. Open Steam
  2. Click Help menu at the top
  3. Click System Info
  4. Copy and Paste that along with your problem

A more in-depth report (and system check) can be created through the Microsoft tool DXDIAG.

1. Click START button so menu slides up
  2. Just start typing “DXDIAG” and click the icon that appears to launch it
  3. Wait for the little green diagnose bar to complete
  4. Click each tab and you want “No Problems Found” under the Notes of each tab.
  5. Click the button “Save All Information” and save the file to your desktop (usually DxDiag.txt)
  6. Open that file and scroll to the bottom where crash reports are listed. You may find something there that helps identify an issue.

The DxDiag.txt file is often sent to support engineers so they can compare your driver versions with known issues.

Advanced troubleshooting

1. Right click the Start Button
  2. Left Click “Event Viewer”
  3. In the main window you can view the summary of Critical errors and normal errors that have been logged by windows. This is very helpful in finding issues with your system. You can double click an error to view more info on it. You can also clear the logs, reboot and then re-run these steps to see anything that failed since clearing the logs.

For USB diagnostics I like to use the excellent tools by NirSoft, in this case try USBDeview You can filter to only display connected devices (Options->Display Disconnected Devices) and also see when devices register and de-register themselves along with their power draw. It can help you identify what those annoying connect/disconnect windows chimes are for example.

3 Likes

Check that connected devices have not failed

1. Right click start button
  2. Left click Device Manager

Nothing listed should have a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

2 Likes

I will be able to reply properly when I’m back from Microsoft conference end of the week.

Eno

1 Like

Cool eno. Just wanted to invite folks that have good knowledges on these things.

1 Like

@Heliosurge edit some place, for your reference,tks

1 Like

Awesome made post #2 a wiki there is a grey colored pencil. Anyone can edit post #2

Contributed by @Doman.Chen (pimax) add to faq later
Hello,everyone.
Here is a description of the indicator light.Details are as follows.

Red:The DP interface is not plugged in or the power adapter is not connected.

Green:Helmet normally connected.

Purple: Parallel projection is turned on.

Blinking: DFU mode (please contact technical staff).

More please check this link: http://piplay-us.pimaxvr.com/PiTool_User_Manual_en.pdf

3 Likes

I have a compilation of various topics (including hardware and software solutions). It is a wiki if any of you want to contribute.

Feel free to cherry-pick some of the solutions for this FAQ.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Rec 5k+ Tried Getting Started Faq

Did this “Getting Started” guide ever happen? I’ve been searching and it all just seems to lead back to this thread. There are troubleshooting ones everywhere, but a nice clean step by step following Pimax’s piece of paper that says “plug it in here” might be helpful.

I think I have done most everything right, but after 4 days of struggling with it, I have yet to play a game other than the War Robots VR demo which worked beautifully. No luck with anything else.

Today I came searching for a basic guide to start all over which lead me to this thread.

1 Like

This is the thread. Anyone can add to the wiki. I haven’t gotteb back to updating with pics of the other sections. For FFR for example I need someone with an RTX card to provide a pic of features my 1080ti doesn’t show. :nerd_face:

Will maybe see about pics of where to plug in. But usb, dp & wall plug is all we have. Usb seems to have varying results & I’m sure most folks won’t use the mobo dp. :beers::smirk::+1::sparkles:

1 Like

lol, the plugging in part is easy.

When I decided to start over from scratch instead of winging it like I did when I received the headset, I searched and found your opening post with the pitool, status, and settings all numbered and thought “Ahh, this is just what I am looking for”. I guess it’s that particular part that didn’t seem to go any further that I think might be helpful.

I fully understand everything takes too much time! Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something obvious. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately no. Just no where near complete. Will try to get back at it sometime. Are you running an RTX card by chance?

no, 1080ti here I also have no lighthouses and controllers, so trying to get by with an xbox controller, and I think that is only adding to my issues. One quick question though. I thought I would start with an early stable version of pitool and then work my way up through them just from a learning and “seeing the changes” perspective, but now I am wondering if that is a mistake. I am on 95. Would you suggest going straight to 112 or even the 121 beta?

1 Like

Atm 112 seems better balanced imho. 121 has some nice features but am having some odd crashes in games that were solid.

I’d reccommend waiting for the official release (if of course we don’t wander into another beta). Unless your one of the folks with Eyestrain & need to test to see if the soft ipd will work for you .

I am in the same boat with seated xp with a 1080ti.

1 Like

yep, thought you were. :slight_smile: ok, thank you. Will do that update and proceed from there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get my 5k+ a few day ago and instaled latest beta pitool, works fine.

1 Like