Eyestrain discussion / Problems and Solutions

On this setting i can’t play games just tested if i could get somehow the right IPD, this is the point there i got the right IPD with both clear eyes with the lowest HMD setting of 59,9. My IPD on VIVE is 64,5 . Maybe something wrong with my unit

With 3 face masks and a 59.9 IPD on Pimax you got a clear image in both eyes when your actual IPD is 64.5mm?

there is no chance to play it with that setting haha, but there is no other way to get the right IPD for me, on the VIVE it is 64,5. Just waiting for a answer to my ticket, maybe i got a bad unit. The most annoying problem is the bigger world for me, everything looks about 20% bigger than it should.

Yes, just need the Lenses a little bit closer together, maybe i got a bad unit, waiting for my ticket answer.

I think its because the minimal distance between the lenses is actually 70mm (as others have measured), and not 59.9mm as Pitool reports. So you have to increase the face distance from the lenses to compensate for the extra 6mm IPD that you need for a clear image in both eyes.

As for the image warping on your headset, I thought it may have been firmware related but another user reported the fish eye effect distortion was removed from Skyrim in firmware v111. But if you report seeing it in Skyrim still on v111 firmware then I suspect its either Pitool version (try other previous or later versions) and if that still doesn’t fix it, then the fish eye effect and some people having clear vision at 64mm IPD while others at 64mm don’t is either caused by defective hardware or biology, you should tell us if a replacement fixes it for you and if the abovementioned fixes don’t work for you.

tryied realy all of that stuff, switching pitool versions, reinstalling everything, played with config file, tryied every IPD, face foams, switching USB ports and Display ports and so but nothing works, don’t know if there is also a possibility to change the firmware, maybe there is the bug. I wrote with voodooDE and he said that he have a IPD of 60 and set it on 60 and everything works fine for him. Hope i will get my ticket answered soon.

@bosnaboi Contact support and arrange an appointment for a firmware flash, and if that doesn’t work ask them to escalate the ticket for you to a replacement request.

1 Like

I think the people who are reporting that the headset is fine are not actually looking through the middle of the sweet spots of both lenses, which should be in the centre smallest rings in each fresnel lenses, but because the screens dont move with the lenses during IPD adjustment, and the lenses only move, the smallest middle fresnel rings of each lens is probably not the middle of the sweetspot.

1 Like

thats the reason why i wrote extra to Voodoo because he owns all of the HMD’s and he was confident with his Pimax’s so was wondering which IPD he has.

1 Like

It’s a trade off between slight blur in the middle and tolerable geometric distortions on edges (real IPD) vs clear view in both eyes and atrocious geometric distortion that start almost from centre of view and make HMD unusable (-3 to -6 mm from real IPD).

1 Like

Using your actual IPD you get minimal distortions? What is it?

For me that are all points that i can live with happylie my eyes get realy easy used to new scenarios, but that world scale of +20% is so annoying after few years of VR. Hope this will fix a firmware update or so. Or a option in Pitool like in Project Cars 2 would be nice

1 Like

Ive heard one person experience those distortion problems on their headset but not on their friends somewhere on the forum, I’ll try find it for you. I think you need a firmware flash or a replacement.

1 Like

was so happy in the beggining because the setup was so easy, no problems with tracking or anything else, all went smooth, games and headset working right out the box not much tweeking or anything else, expect this 2 issues.

1 Like

Too bad fisheye distortion on some devices and not others isnt an officially acknowledged hardware issue so there’s no replacement policy yet. Contact Support ask for a firmware flash appointment (remotely done) and then ask the consultant to escalate to a product replacement because its defective if that doesnt work, tell them you’ve tried all different IPDs, face positions ( vertical, horizontal) and face distances and it still hasnt fixed it.

2 Likes

It is a bit too large, i don’t usually notice it except when there are human characters in game. Probably because we are more sensitive to human proportions. Also in Skyrim i reduce it to my liking with ini edit but it would be nice if Pimax could give us that scale adjuster in Pitool for games where adjusting is not possible.

1 Like

With actual IPD distortions are minimal and not bothersome unless looking in far corners. With near IPD lenses obviously move closer together along with all the distortions.

1 Like

Wow …

and i need a thinner foam then the orginal foam,i need to be closer to the lenses…

3 Likes

I cannot really spot the fresnel rings, when having the lenses close to the eyes, but I am pretty sure that the optical centers (center rings) are offset outwards, because my real IPD is 72 mm and the distance between the lenses centers is ~ 81 mm (for 70 mm dialed-in on Pimax IPD)

As I already wrote above, I cannot see the completely clear image by both eyes either. I have also explained why in my post about IPD confusion I have already linked several times.

My theory, why it does not bother me as much as it seems to bother (some) others is that I am wearing glasses (and have been for last 40 years), so my eyes+brain have already been conditioned to all kinds of fuzziness and imperfect views. I am simply much more tolerant than someone with 20/20 vision.

On the other hand, the geometric distortion, which stems from lower IPD setting than projected, is really giving me an eye strain and kind of nausea.

5 Likes

Interesting, have you tried the Pimax with out your glasses ?

1 Like