Eye Tracking Software Fix

Yeah I know - I meant besides the dev and the tester.

I don’t kbow about pimax updates.

@spamenigma and a couple of others. @guppyexpress could give a better list.

1 Like

Maybe they could share their findings with us here?

@spamenigma @guppyexpress

2 Likes

Yes I can confirm that, its working with both eye tracking modules I have here.
Just download the package from pimax.com under Support → Eye tracking.

The link is:

It contains this:

Now, run the firmware update (for help, check the Word document guide provided)
Install the runtime. But skip the old PiTool. Just run latest PiTool.

In PiTool, when eye tracking is connected, make sure the 7invensun Runtime is running (theres a warning message under the HMD icon in PiTool if runtime is not started).

Now just run the calibration, then enable DFR in PiTool and run any game that supports it. Works really well.

Its a 2-3 minute setup basically.

6 Likes

I have tested it on 5K Plus, 5K Super, 8K Plus and 8KX. All works.

It has never been easier than now.
Now remember, both the eye tracking runtimes must be running, here are the icons:
1634210929069_B2AB7680-7684-465c-AC38-43BFB9237F89

If its not running,you will see this text in PiTool:

Also, in AMCap, to test that cameras are working fine, set the resolution and fps:

4 Likes

I would suggest checking out Guppyexpres firmware as reports have suggested full 120hz to compare with.

Not sure why before they kept saying updates needed to be requested by pm.

1 Like

Having all that said, DFR is far from perfect, it still have bugs, but it works really well I think, and faster than before if you ask me. Helps a lot with performance in Skyrim, Half Life and others, even on conservative mode.

If you use a high Pitool render quality such as 1.5 or higher, even aggressive DFR isnt really distracting and sometimes barely noticeable, since its downscaling the resolution from an already higher resolution. So you wont see that crazy shimmer at the edges as you would with PiTool 1.0 or lower, with DFR on aggressive.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have not tested Guppyexpres firmwares yet, looks promising Will do that tromorrow. Although, I see really no problems with 100Hz either. Its definitely fast enough for my eyes to not bother or even notice the DFR resolution areas moving if I look left-right-left very fast.

4 Likes

I have actually been able to get internal testing, allowed frame rate of up to 240 hertz!

7 Likes

Hello!

Yes spam did try it along with a handful of others in the pimax discord server. If you have an eye tracker after the revision. It significantly increases it’s accuracy and quality.
If you have an ET made before the revision. It does not help it that much as that is a hardware problem

3 Likes

Just a heads up, make sure you are using the latest revision of the ET it does not work well with the older versions

2 Likes

Holy cr*p I wasnt aware of that, really great job man!

Is there a specific serial number we can use as reference for the “new” version? I have a bunch of these eye tracking units here, but many of them are early units, one of them should be pretty new at least, since it was sent to me after receiving the final 8KX.

Ive only tested the 100Hz firmware with my 2 latest units, and both work identical, but Im sure only one of them could be the latest.

3 Likes

The 240 hertz update is not publicly available as it sacrifices accuracy for it so I am working on fixing that as it is just an internal product at the moment. In terms on serial numbers. I’d have to get that when I get home from work haha. But as a reference I can say, after the 8 months it just wasn’t for sale not before then

2 Likes

Sorry for making another comment on this, I’m out of the house and the phone controls of openmr are confusing haha

3 Likes

Wait there are multiple versions of the eye tracker? So if we jumped on it when it first released were out of luck?

I tossed the eye tracker back in its box because it was crap, would really be disappointed in finding out that the unit is defective from factory…

(And yes I consider the stock eye tracker experience defective)

4 Likes

Haha yeah it was defective when you get it XD

Yes so if you first jumped on to buying one

This was before the hardware revision and not even my fix can help it

4 Likes

Ah I see. Either way, very impressive! Would love to try it some day when you feel its ready.

What’s been defectice from start is not the hardware itself, but the software and the firmwares. These have improved finally… I agree it took too long, but its never too late to bring it out of the box :slight_smile: After all, DFR does really help with framerate in many games. I just wish it was supported by FS2020…

3 Likes

At the moment my 120 hertz version works great! And is much much more accurate than the version Pimax provides :smiley:

5 Likes

Does your firmware expose the values to the SDK the same way the pimax firmware does? I want to try your firmware with VRChat which requires a wrapper to allow c# endpoints to interact with the ET data.

Also, any news on all the missing values such as dilation, eyelid position etc that are broke with the standard firmware?

3 Likes

Hello! it should in fact expose the values to the SDK as it is just a branch of the 7Invensun eye tracking firmware. i am currently also working on allowing blink states to be used so it is even more similar to the Droolon F1 and closer to Tobii eye tracking

5 Likes