Etee Vr Controllers - better choice for artisan users?

Welcome to the Open[color=orange]MR[/color]!

Thank you for accepting my invitation! :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

4 Likes

RoadToVR Article with HL: Alyx Gameplay with Etee!

5 Likes

I look forward to experiencing Etee when it’s available! :pi_thumbsup:

4 Likes

Skarred Ghost Review

1 Like

ooh let’s see how it fairs.

2 Likes

Now that‘s a review! Very well written, I‘m impressed. Good find.

2 Likes

honestly i like the overall idea and it seems for finger tracking more reliable and comfortable than the knuckles…

But how hard do you think it would be to just stick somthing on the top of it that had a joystick and two buttons.

you could probably 3d print something .

2 Likes

How our technology works is we train the algorithms in the firmware to do pattern recognition on the capacitive signal that changes as you manipulate the various control surfaces with your hands. Any change in the outside material will have an impact on the signal and de-tune the firmware algorithms.

Our current approach is to deliver against our button-free promise of a more lightweight and immersive controller. Once that’s done we can look at other modifications and adjustments to the etee platform. Having the controllers in peoples hands at a larger scale will provide everyone a better understanding of the current form factor and the feedback will be more informed. This will give us a better starting point to improve.

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool. Now wish it was in the budget for the translucent special ed.

1 Like

Update, Sony seem to be developing very similar controllers but I doubt they will make the mistake of not having a joystick and buttons.

1 Like

Etee is just there controller. Other companies can have VG0 used in other form factors with buttons, Sticks etc…

Tbh I think it will be a nice controller but may need to get used to a new concept.

Here is a more recent video with Boneworks.

TG0 Technology just posted a video! Go check it out!

1 Like

Hard to tell much from that video, but it occurs to me that potentially; While the fitting over the proximal bones of the fingers seems rather awkward; If the sensor coverage is there, that positioning should allow for sensing rotation of the joint on either side of the device separately, making it easier to determine whether you are making a fist, only curling your palm, or only the middle-with-distal-assumed-until-closing-to-contact ends of your fingers, and maybe also read some degree of finger splaying with hand open.

E.g. Being able to properly guess a pistol grip gesture, from the three fingers that wrap the handle, and the index one that reaches and pulls (EDIT: not wraps) the trigger.

No idea whether this is actually what is going on… :7

As for thumbsticks and buttons: My third-to-main complaint about Valve’s Index controllers, is that they gave in to the backwards-striving mob that demanded more such gadgetry. Second is the encompassing-the-former one, that I can’t bring my index finger or thumb in, because there is a big bloody cluster of triggers, and other control surfaces in the way. Main complaint is the even larger umbrella that they are lumps of matter held in my hand in the first place, and neither force-feedback/haptic gloves, nor bare-hand tracking. :stuck_out_tongue:

…so I guess I would be almost perfectly in Etee’s initial demographic, even though I decided to wait this kickstarter out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately, now that developers have their sticks and multitudes of buttons, they will keep chaining their UX:es to pre-VR paradigms, instead of innovating. Oh, well; At least there is the SteamVR Input remap tool…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.