Elite Dangerous Setup Guide - Lets make it Dark Again :)

Lol. Point taken.
Ill try to keep my eye out for ghosting as i wasnt looking for it before.
I suspect ill be changing those settings at some point

The sound when you press F12 was probably Steam taking a screenshot…

Thanks for these configuration tips! The blacks are quite good with these settings. Removing the station haze also helps a lot with the clarity of station environments.

I reduced the quality in the graphics settings and set the HMD quality to 0.75 in the game in order to get 90 fps without smart smoothing. Otherwise I get around 45 fps in stations and 60 fps in space. Smart smoothing isn’t enough for a fluid experience when you are in combat.

Yeah F12 is stupidly always a SS in Steam. High pitch tone.

@Nifter - does that not really make the image awful?

It’s not awful but it’s certainly a bit more blurry. I’m using an i5-4690k and 2080 ti.

The biggest fall in quality are the ships that are farther than 4km away. They are harder to distinguish against the sky. Look more like a mess of pixels instead of a ship. However once I fly closer than 2km to my target I can make out the details of the ship just fine.

To me there’s a big difference between 45 fps smart smoothing and 90 real fps for high paced combat. I think smart smoothing is better for slower paced games or games where it’s completely impossible to reach 90 fps like Fallout 4 VR.

I honestly think even 45fps in Haz Res’ is acceptable to me. And that’s without this fancy Brainstuff. It’s not generally a super fast paced game. 45fps feels like 90 to me.

I use around 4000x in Steam and 1.25 in game, with SS in-game set to 0.65. Try that and see if it ‘feels’ ok.

ED on this headset is amazing. The first time I came up from a planetary hanger was amazing.

I am currently jumping to the Galactic Core to see what a Black Hole looks like in VR

:slight_smile:

Be careful , I lost my RTX 2080ti in Black Hole…

2 Likes

What?!? :wink: …

seriously my card burned in Sag A, I did RMA and waiting 3 weeks already for return to my place

1 Like

you need to set center button in game option , go to binding options , micelenious and look for „center hmd”

1 Like

BTW due to recent changes, you can only center the head in game or during the load screen. It doesn’t work on the screen with the Eagle and SRV

For me it does work even in the hangar. Just make sure that the button you mapped for the HMD re-center does not collide with any of the buttons used for the menus.
Just for the record, I am using Xbox One controller and I have it mapped to “Y”+“Left trigger”.

Weird. It definitely doesn’t work for me in the hangar despite having it bound

Works for me even on the initial loading screen… I have it bound to a button on my Throttle… Warthog. The program MUST have focus however… I use Joyfocus.ahk to make sure Elite has focus as soon as my throttle moves etc… it sounds to me that maybe Elite is loosing focus…

In my case, if ED loses the focus, my XBox controller does not work at all. But I agree that what @TonytotheB experiences is strange. I had previously a problem in the hangar with “HMD re-center” when I had it mapped to the combo which used one of D-PAD buttons. This did not work, because D-PAD was captured by menu control and the combo was not recognized (while in game it worked ok).

Weird. Must be my config. Works during load and in-game. Not in the hangar. Oh well. At least it works somewhere

I flew to ‘Black in Green’ last night. Black hole in VR using a Pimax - wow!!

When I first tried ED it was all washed out color wise. After some tweaking and moving Piplay up to 1.5 it now look great. Steam app 100% Steam VR 20% Game hmd 1.5. fov normal and 64fps. Runs smooth enough for my play style.
I must have lucked out on 5K+ panels as I find the blacks to be great. As good as my Rift.

3 Likes

Piplay? Can you explain a wee bit further how you got better colours?

I find 45-65 fps is fine in this game as it’s not fast paced. Even when dogfighting in a High Rez.

I find my blacks better now than the first headset I had (replaced due to dead pixels)

Not sure why it was washed out on my first run. I have been running piplay as high as I can (2.0 in some games). I think I also have gamma cranked up but will have to check that. Seems like the more you can push PP the better the result, but again I’m not sure.
I also moved to PP beta and latest Nvidia drivers.

1 Like

Maybe I am being dense sorry… you mean PiTool SS?

2 Likes