Dynamic foveated rendering in VRChat?

Is it possible to use dynamic foveated rendering in VRChat post-EAC with the eyetracker? Thank you.

No, it is not.

1 Like

However, the VRChat team has shown in their development blogs that they are working on their own implementation of foveated rendering. They have a video showing a prototype of the feature working. I’m not aware of any expected release date for it, and it could be well into the future.

It’s not clear to me how this would interact with eye tracking on Pimax headsets. I think eye tracking data would be communicated to VRChat using OSC, but that implies the existence of software which is somehow receiving eye tracking data from the headset and then speaking OSC. I don’t know if this is something Pimax has even thought about as a feature of their software or if it would have to be some opensource application that performs this role.

It’s also not clear to me how VRChat’s built-in foveated rendering would interact with Pimax’s foveated transport on the 12K and Crystal. Presumably the structure of the foveated rendering would be quite different between the two which seems like it could create visible artifacts and degrade the results.