Dr. DisRespect, one of the most popular Twitch streamers, wants a Pimax headset

I don’t even know who he is. As a developer my view might be biased but I would think the best exposure for PIMAX is getting their VR units to be used as standard for exhibition demos of upcoming VR titles at events like PAX and GDC. People will be more likely to take out their wallets for the serious money required if they can experience it for themselves and make an informed decision.

That’s great for industry adoption (which isn’t a concern because of openVR and the fact Pimax runs on SteamVR), however if you really want to get to the consumers you need to get them exposed. Very few people go to cons, realistically speaking. And the ones that do, are already the ones who are closely following the industry and are willing to throw their cash around. The segment needed marketing towards is the uninformed gamer, and you hit them via going on their channels. Often, that means getting to the big names on twitch and youtube. Dr Disrespect has 2.7 million followers on twitch, Ninja has 11 million followers. Other gaming youtubers (regardless of the quality of their content) have massive fanbases, Markiplier and Jacksepticeye coming to mind with over 20 million subscribers each on the youtube platform. That’s a lot of people relative to a convention. Granted the majority of those subs/followers probably cannot afford a Pimax, but I’d warrant it’s still a bigger market than the percent of the tens of thousands who go to pax that year and are both willing to buy a system and have not already heard of pimax.

And here is the best way to think about it. A company has to shell out a lot of money to have a station at PAX or GDC. And that is going to limit you to mostly the population of that conference. You send a free unit to a youtuber/streamer, you can be getting several million views of exposure for the price of one unit.

1 Like

To respond to you in a manner which is less conceited:

PIMAX can sponsor developers and have the hardware down on the show floor running the latest titles and on flagship hardware, PIMAX donates the hardware and the developers will support it. The office at which I work is sponsored by Intel, this is pretty much how it works.

Even small conventions like Eurogamer Expo net around 80k visitors per day with AAA stands expecting around 5-8k guests per day. From personal experiences people can and will talk to their friends, unless you have shit friends I would hope you value their opinions more highly that a Youtube entertainer. Those turning up to conventions usually are those with disposable incomes and with a greater number outside of the casual player base.

I don’t think you appreciate just how much of a big deal E3, GDC, PAX East and PAX West is for the gaming industry.

3 Likes

While Pimax struggles to produce 100 headsets and will continue struggling until the new year at least. They do not need 2.7 or 11 million people rushing in here and demanding where they could place pre-orders.

5 Likes

or going to a website that will throw malware at their pc. XD

1 Like

Nah nah you have me confused. I’m ALL FOR pimax delivering it to us FIRST, then focusing on stuff like this during retail sale

2 Likes

Loool :joy::joy:

Nah but we mean after they’ve delivered it to us. Hopefully during retail release in 2019 pimax will be able to produce atleast 5 thousand units per month

2 Likes