Does Boneworks work with Pimax Anyone?

Can someone explain the Compatible with Vive only games setting and the Hidden Area mask settings? Do you typically leave those enabled or disabled?

Thats a good Question . I think you should turn on hidden area mask when you are playing with large fov . I dont know though what compatible with vive only game option does :confused:

1 Like

I fixed it but upgrading again to the latest pitool and firmware. Jitters are really annoying but at least I can play the game

1 Like

You always want hidden area mask enabled, it boosts performance. ‘This mesh is meant to be rendered into the stencil buffer (or into the depth buffer setting nearz) before rendering each eye’s view. The pixels covered by this mesh will never be seen by the user after the lens distortion is applied and based on visibility to the panels. This will improve perf by letting the GPU early-reject pixels the user will never see before running the pixel shader.’

5 Likes

Hi, I’m using the Pimax 5K XR with index controllers. I can move around the room, pick up objects but I can’t reach out to pick up the coffee cup to throw in the incinerator. Anyone else have this bug? I’m running Pitool latest ver. I know it’s a Pimax problem, cause I tried my Valve index and it works, but if I can’t get the Pimax 5K XR to work, I’ll ask for a refund and try it again later.

I didn’t have any problem with my 5k. I’m using the last version.

1 Like

Did you pressed both grip button and trigger while heading your palm towards the cup?

Seems to have been the case for me to … (5K+ and Index Controllers work very nice)

1 Like

I have been playing boneworks on the rift s but I must be missing something because I am finding it quite boring and the graphics is not very good .

3 Likes

Same here, but I haven’t gotten further than the Museum.

Graphics are nice on the 5K+ but not amazing.

4 Likes

Museum is just the tutorial. The real “fun” begins once you get out to the streets.

I said “fun” because it’s depressing and challenging at the same time.

3 Likes

Completed it now, it’s definitely more challenging later on and the gameplay improves the more you try to roleplay. If you fight the physics it’s just makes it frustrating.

Check out this guy on youtube, he has just been employed by UBIsoft as they obviously want his physics interactions for a new project. I think he’s already surpassed some of the boneworks stuff, his climbing especially. Also there is no IK, even his arms are physics joints.

4 Likes

I need to get further into it, but the start seems quite faithful to Half Life to me. And it was an official HL game, until Valve changed their mind and insisted all the assets were changed, because it seems Alyx was quite poor in terms of physics and mechanics by comparison (no doubt for graphics quality and setpieces it will be more impressive). They are now borrowing ideas from BW before showing it off again. In the trailer where Alyx grabs shotgun shells from the shelf, that wasn’t actually possible in-game, only in Boneworks.

Apparently a recent scheduled Alyx demo was pulled because it only offers teleportation, and it was pointed out that seems seriously old fashioned now by current VR standards. I wonder if they can properly fix it by March, changing major mechanics must be risky a few months before release.

2 Likes

It will be amazing when the next gen of VR games has this level of detail :+1:

Have you been watching VNN? (Tyler Mcvicker) I don’t know where that guy gets so much info… always thought he was a son of someone at Valve, or something like that… he had a ton of info on Alyx a month before the release video.

I was actually a little worried for Half Life as teleport really changes how you play, especially with jumping and climbing. The fact that it will still support teleport could mean some of these things aren’t as challenging, if you can just warp onto a block etc.

Boneworks is still slightly sicky for me at times, even though I’ve been pretty bullet proof with sickness lately. I think it throws you around a bit more than it should, especially when climbing. Nimsony has a demo of an earlier release of his system, and it feels REALLY good. You can even run by jogging on the spot. And he has light sabers!

1 Like

Yes I am now, I haven’t followed Valve for years so his info is quite an eye-opener. I was always curious about why Boneworks was so oddly similar to HL, and know we know why :slight_smile:

I do occasionally get a bit of stomach lurch when falling from a height etc, but tbh I get that in 2D games anyway, not just VR. However, gotta agree with comments that the mechanics can sometimes get in the way, rather than enhance the experience.

I first watched one of the Nimsony videos a couple of days ago, I’ll definitely be following him from now on!

1 Like

Imagine when it’s combined with a fully destructible environment too :slight_smile: https://youtu.be/aAgVSTrqNOc

1 Like

That volumetric smoke is absolutely mint when he blows a hole in the wall. Once we have enough power to combine all these things together there won’t be a gamer alive that doesn’t want VR. The Pimax wide FOV is part of that future for sure, I just can’t use any other headset.
My job is engineering simulation, so I can already see how much better the physics could be… but I’m still running jobs between 1% and 10% of realtime so we have a decent way to go.

Sorry OP gone off topic a bit :smiley:

on topic… I’m struggling with the index run button for boneworks as I can barely press the damn stick down whilst pushing forward . :rage: The double tap forward works ok but it’s not ideal.

2 Likes

Hey mate,

I had one of the first batch Index Controller sets as well, with the same issue. I RMA’d them and got sent new ones. The new ones are perfectly fine and do not have the Thumbstick issues.

1 Like

How long did the swap take? Can you just send one back? One of mine works fine it’s just the left one.
I saw Sebastian complaining about it but until boneworks it was never a real issue for me.