Distortion Correction via Software

Now that we got the Open Source, are there more possibilities to decrease distortions and warping individually?

Has anyone digged into it yet? This topic is for discussion of approaches…

6 Likes

the most annoying thing that I find is items popping into view in the periphery of my right eye , hope someone can sort that out

1 Like

I thing the problem is that many devs have not designed the game for such large FoV- so they pop into view at the time they normally would have appeared on a screen. Games just recently started adding FoV sliders and still could be ignoring larger values for performance gains sake.

Even my “wide” screen shows me how many devs still hard code aspect ratios, FoV etc into stuff like menus and the like so that they are not visible or cut of or don’t reach the edge, crosshairs are off center and so on …

4 Likes

They open sourced PiTool, not the drivers i think?

2 Likes

IIRC they said there was going to be a three part incremental open-source of software, starting with PiTool.

For now the only thing that they have opened up is pitools. And that’s just a GUI to change settings. Without access to the driver there’s no way you can do thing like change the distortion algo.

2 Likes

I doubt that’ll happen. Wouldn’t opening the drivers sourcecode reveal the fact that they “borrowed” ReVive code? (allegedly)

1 Like

Hehe they borrowed a lot of code. Their main code is copied from OSVR. I saw this when I was reverse engineering it. But after that they’ve developed a lot themselves.

2 Likes

Easy fix turn on Parallel projection.

The thing which bothers me, why they opensourced and archaic version of that. I mean, if you want people to actually develop the code, you open source the development branch. So far it is not at all clear, what Pimax wants to achieve with their opensourcing.

4 Likes

So they can say someone else did it, I guess.:thinking: