【Discussion】How to support Native 4k resolution

As we all know, Pimax 4K goggle support physical 4K by Interpolation menthod.

Actually, it also support native 4k resolution by using data compression technology(Qualcomm FBC 2.0 or VESA DSC 1.1), and it works well on android platform. there is the sketch map as follows.

And question arrives, Why not open the native 4k resolution?

The cause is because the graphics card(NVIDIA or AMD)couldn’t support the Qualcomm FBC 2.0 or VESA DSC 1.1 tech. so we have not opened the native 4k resolution until now.

If u are expert on GPU or data compression, please participate in the discussion and try our best to find an valid method to resolve it. thanks.

2 Likes

How about this?

and

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/753944/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-340-43-beta-game-ready-display-driver-feedback-thread-6-17-14-/post/4245376/#4245376

and

Great topic ! Too bad to hear Nvidia and AMD dont support DSC 1.1. Just out of curiousity: how would the headset support DSC 1.1 ? Is the SM32F CPU fast enough to decode it, I doubt it ? Or do you have some hardware decoder in it that supports DSC 1.1 decoding ?

But, since Nvidia and AMD dont support it I guess you’d indeed need another solution. I’m not sure if the Nvidia technology that forum user VTS posted about, is still supported in the latest drivers ?

Either way, both DSC 1.1 and that Nvidia technology are lossy codecs, so it degrades the video signal. I think a lot of people are interested in 4k support mainly for watching movies. So I wonder, why not support 4k @ 30 hz uncompressed input ? If you have enough processing power you could interpolate each frame to get to 60 hz. Or you could just simply send each frame twice to the display, so that would just mean 4k @30 hz. For gaming this would not be good, but for watching movies I think this actually would be THE best solution, because you’d have the highest video quality. Of course higher lag too, but for watching movies I doubt this matters that much.

I also think this would be really easy to implement for your guys. So why not support it right away ? I’m no expert at all regarding video signal, so I don’t know how you can distinguish between compressed and uncompressed signals but if this is possible (I guess so) then you could support both 4k @ 30 hz uncompressed (for watching movies) and 4k @ 60 hz compressed (for gaming, using maybe the nvidia technology). Wouldn’t that be best of both worlds ?

1 Like

Well i can’t say im expert but i used to push 4k60hz 1.4b hdmi data out of my computer to my OLED TV by using 4.2.0 chroma sub sampling = reduced colors which honestly doesn’t make any noticeable different on watching movies or actually playing games.

I think you guys should talk to Oculus. The Gear VR SDK might have support for this, since it is an android based headset that operates using mobile hardware. Maybe you could use a wrapper of some sort to emulate an android based HMD’s protocols on the PC to feed the display.

Thanks for ur links! And here is a good news for all pimax’s player

We have got into contack with NVIDIA, and FAE told us that they have the soft encode technology to resolve it. And now we are applying for the relevant cooperation with Nvidia.

6 Likes

@Sjef,
yes, the handset has a special hardware GPU processor which could decode the compressed data within 1ms. all done by hardware.

3 Likes

Awesome news guys, thanks !!

I was just wondering why the DSC compression couldn’t be implement with something like a compute shader if you have access to DSC specs then comes this great news!

I’m impatiently waiting for this, Can we get an ETA on how long it will take for DSC to be implemented? I would gladly settle for 4k @30hz for the time being. Thank you for the good support so far.

Yes, please unlock our Pimax 4K to be use it at 4k @30hz like you did with 2k. It would be great.

1 Like

no no great will be the possitional tracking my friend, this is only a upgrade jajaja

So in theory it should work with ARM FBC?

I think so. But Nvidia and AMD don’t support it.

4K ARM TV boxes are cheap and even KODI supports 4K so not sure why you cant use them for movie experience?

How to enable native 4K in our Pimax 4K headset ??? We had been waiting months for this feature and now that Pimax 8K is almost out I do not think Pimax team is going to enable it. @Sjef found a way through an adaptor but… still waiting for Pimax team answers.

@PiMAX @PimaxSWD @PIMAX-Support any news on this please?

any link for above workaround?

http://community.openmr.com/t/supporting-native-4k-mode/1967/7?u=sjefdeklerk

It was more of an idea. Pimax said they would work on it but never gave an update

I think you could even build an adaptor to use DP 1.4 and then have the videocard do the compression directly (since DP 1.4 comes with DSC), so you wouldn’t even need an external chip. You’d then just need to convert the DP 1.4 DSC compressed signal to compressed HDMI 1.4 signal (if that’s even possible)

Pimax however is dead silent on the issue so I’m afraid that doesn’t mean much good.