Disable 1/3 Smart Smoothing

I’m often on the pimax’s side, and I have read the comments from people who know what they’re talking about (like mbucchia), but I still can’t figure out why there is not a simple option to just choose only 1/2 and disable the 1/3, at least until they fix the chaotic behaviour of the algorithm.

@SpencerGrant Exactly. I hate it when the fps fluctuates anyway, so in the event I’m playing a title that would ever need to switch into 90/45 mode I would just limit it to 45 anyway and have the Smart Smoothing on all the time in that title. There were plenty of ways to limit the fps of titles before Pimax added it to PiTool directly. Ultimately I just want it to work the way it did, which was reasonably well. It’s so awful now.

1 Like

Can confirm. It´s sad. Just tried Project Cars 2 again and when SmartSmoothing kicks in it´s really a pain with 1/3 instead of 1/2. Was event trying to use 90hz instead of 75hz on my 8KX. In this way it´s really unusable.

@hammerhead_gal @PimaxQuorra Can you please check internally why the default setting can not be like with Meta, Valve Index or even Microsoft MR? With Headsets of these software stacks everything works much better with reagards to Smart Smoothing, ASW or Motion Reprojection.

As much as I really like my 8KX but this is driving me nuts.

I came to a point where I just want to use the headset and not work myself through more and more Tutorials. And even need to do this all over again when build a new PC.

Thanks for your support in advance. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s about time the community makes a serious effort to bring this to light.

Please Pimax: don’t release another PiTool without a fix to motion smoothing and timings.

We understand there are cycles, testing, iterations, - please make this a primary effort for the base software. The demands of the new ecosystem are of course high priority as well - but your existing customers are asking that motion smoothing be fixed first. Otherwise we have to go all the way back to Pitool .270 to get smart smoothing working properly! Pitool .263 to get Oculus games working (at full GPU utilization)!

Please take my ticket #29542, which is now nearly 6 months old, as a genuine interest in making Pimax software as wonderful as the hardware!

Thank you to the community for any additional thoughts you may have to assist Pimax in hunting down the root cause - especially if you’re a programmer and have any ability to help. If a friend has a choice between buying a Crystal and a Varjo at this time, I would recommend Varjo as they are finally implementing motion smoothing (I hear).

An option to disable smart smoothing 1:3 is what’s needed, but the frame timings that are sent to the Motion Smoothing also have to be corrected. It’s a two-fold problem. See PimaxXR, which is open-source, to see what’s been done. It really works, but naturally it only works for games run in OpenXR - a SteamVR fix has even been proposed, but would be a work-around for what can be done more directly - and correctly - by PiTool.

Thanks Pimax!
You’re great!
Your community is great!
Your hardware is great!

You software is almost great!

4 Likes

It looks as if Motion Smoothing is only programmed correctly in 90hz mode.
Such that it shunts to 1:3 mode at <45FPS instead of when <37.5FPS as it should in 75hz mode.

So perhaps it’s limited to an error in calculation of 1:3 motion smoothing only in 75hz mode.
Please refer to my most recent post in the original thread here - @Heliosurge is this something that can be merged with the topic Pitool has Sub-Optimal Timing: Motion Smoothing (Originally Titled: Something changed with Pitool on version .271 and forward)

1 Like

Hello,

We have submitted this request to our Pitool team.
This should be their primary goal while developing the new patch.

3 Likes

Thanks. Looking forward for a fast solution :slight_smile:

Upon further testing it wasn’t the threshold that was incorrect. Man this is complicated. Rather it may relate to something more complicated.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.