Dear Pimax, some suggestions for streamlining the 8KX experience

This is advice I have for Pimax on how to maximize the user friendly experience. @PimaxUSA @Miracle @PimaxQuorra @Sweviver @arminelec

What I notice in the Quest 2 is how Facebook has emphasized ease of use. When you first turn on the headset, I get a setup wizard that guides me through every step and even tells me I should move my headset up/down until I get a clear picture, adjust ipd, etc.

Here’s how Pimax can apply this:

1. When customers first open their 8KX package, they should be provided a link to download latest Pitool bundled together with Pimax experience 0.70. They should not be seperate downloads. Ie: After Pitool finishes installing, the installer for PE begins.

An even better alternative would be if the headset automatically downloaded and installed the necessary software when headset is turned on for the first time.

1. After getting both Pitool and PE experience installed, when they turn on the headset, the first thing they should be greeted with in Pimax Experience is a setup wizard.

Step 1. Wizard will first tell them to adjust the ipd knob until they get a clear picture (visual demonstration).
Step 2. Move headset up/down, left/right until you get a sharp view of this detailed picture. Close one eye, then the other to see if its equally sharp in both. If not try adjusting ipd again or eye offset.
Step 3. Teach them how to navigate Pimax experience, what the different settings do. What parallel projection is, when they need to use it, etc. New users should NOT have to go to the forum to learn all this and piecemeal everything themselves.
Step 4. Other steps you might want to include, like room setup. Some steps may require to be done on your PC.

Also have default settings for each game (ie maxRecommendedResolution 16384) so that a user can jump in and play if they don’t feel like adjusting or learning these settings.

Once they’ve completed the wizard, have a button that lets them go back to it if necessary.

If Pimax does this they can significantly reduce the amount of dissatisfied new customers who don’t know how to get the full potential out of their 8KX.

15 Likes

Absolutely agree. This is a very supportive community but no-one should need to work through a large and growing set of online topics JUST TO GET UP AND RUNNING.

A while back Sweviver (perhaps in a moment of frustration) posted that “no-one should expect VR to be plug and play”. I don’t want to criticize Martin because he is doing great things with Pimax Experience, but actually, why not?

And for everything that prevents it from being plug and play, then the least Pimax could do would be to provide a quick introduction to the many variables that need to be managed.

OP’s suggestions would be a good start.

4 Likes

VR needs to be as simple to use and plug & play as possible for it to become mainstream like smartphones. Facebook has taken every single thing into account for user friendlyness, even down to the cloth strap being easy to put on and take off despite making headset front heavy and limiting ipd adjustment to 3 options for simplification (which I disagree with).

I don’t think Martin still believes this because otherwise he wouldn’t have made Pimax Experience which is really great software and adding an initial setup wizard will make the full experience complete. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What you’ve said is right and correct. But what I would also hope is obvious, but perhaps not to everyone, is the reason why this isn’t happening yet.

Two separate dev teams building separate sets of code, with little co-ordination to merge the branches and test. Seems pretty clear the reason for this isn’t just technical, but cultural.

I’ve been in the same boat before. Software dev HQ is in another country, and they basically just do their own thing and drip feed minimal information to other locations, who then have to catch up rather than everyone working together from the outset.

This is why we see PT and FW releases that doesn’t include PE, or introduces features that then don’t work correctly via PE, versioning issues etc. Until you have a effective, open, and communicative culture, this is difficult to achieve. And time and time again we’ve seen evidence that Pimax still don’t have that, and one hand continues to do things separately to the other hand.

Hopefully they will make proper progress on it soon, because of course it is in everyone’s interest to have proper integration of these packages :+1:

I’m sure Martin and Armin are working on a setup wizard, and it will be great to have it asap, but I can imagine it takes a lot of work.

2 Likes

Hello,

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Much appreciated for these sir.
This might be a new feature if we success to launch this setup wizard, but we will forward this suggestion to the software engineer, so they will consider these to maximize the user friendly experience.

Sincerely.

3 Likes

I totally agree. We are aiming to have this kind of automation and plug & play functionality. Its what we are working on, besides many other features. Most of the things mentioned are fully possible within PE alone. Thank you for all the suggestions. We have noted them down and will make sure to add the features one by one!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.