Custom made locomotion system through hardware modification of gamepads and vr controllers using arduino and sensors

Anyone has a suggestion where we could mount or have wires with connetors pass through in the knuckles, without getting in the way of any ir sensor?

Thanks!

1 Like

Work in progress for hacking both the quest controller and the valve knuckles controller

Screenshot_20200331-221832_Chrome1

Quest controller

I tested already the quest controller and overall works. So this would be I think the 1st ever locomotion system for quest that works without steamvr / without cable to connect the quest to the pc.

Ps:
I hope at some point to make the whole different setups wireless and share the files for printing the pcb circuits to remove also those other wiring. Of course unfortunately the worldwide health situtation might slow all this down since ,as most probably anyone else, also my job and hence my finances has been inpacted and restrained for leasures things.
This method for now requires a lot of work and risk doing it and it is more oriented for people that likes messing with electonics, but since i made it public for anyone, i wish maybe some would come up with new ideas and solutions to simplify it and make it easier for anyone to try it

4 Likes

Testing the arduino based shoes, on the hacked oculus quest controller .

3 Likes

Hacked knuckles for using with the arduino based locomotion system.

Tested it and it works!

Next steps,

1. adding a chest sensor for diagonal movements (and if wanted also for sideways and backwards movements in conjunction with the pressure sensors on the shoes for the same purpose) and for jumping and crawling

2. making the whole setup wireless :ok_hand: , with the use of wirelss sensors at the chest, shoes and wrist, communicating with a base station receiver connected via usb to the pc

3. adding an on/off button on the controller , to enable/disable the locomotion system with 1 click, so that we can activate or deactivate the locomotion system in 1 sec, while leaving the arduino system on and just cutting out of the circuit the hacked controller

3 Likes

Added the 3dd accelerometer at the chest for different use:

This is how the sensors are going to be used for controllign the joystick/touchpad of controllers for quest, knuckles, xinput ,vive custom controllers , ps4, xbox

This is the wireless setup sketch/ how the modules will be. Any long wire will be removed to make the system look like more as wireless as katloco , rather than a wired walkovr with wires running around

3 Likes

Testing phase and programming of the 5 wireless nodes.

1. Right foot node with accelerometer (for walking and running) and pressure sensors (for lateral and backwards movements).

2. Left foot node with accelerometer (for walking and running) and pressure sensors (for lateral and backwards movements).

3. chest node with altimiter (for jump and crawl) and accelerometer (for forward, backwards, lateral and diagonal movements , using upper body)

4. right harm node , for controlling right controller (ps4,xbox, knuckles, quest, custom vive controller, xinput controller)

5. left harm node , for controlling right controller (ps4,xbox, knuckles, quest, custom vive controller, xinput controller)

Hopefully would work as relaible as the wired solution
…otherwise forced to revert back to the wired solution.

This is why i left the long wires still on these nodes :wink:

4 Likes

“Oh! …and pick up a pair of Marcos on the way out.” :9

2 Likes

Not for sale. You can make them yourself if you want since i have shared and will keep sharing skematics and codes to do a diy locomotion system, rather than buy one.

Hopefully someone with a bright brain, can inprove this system and share it with others

3 Likes

Sorry for the empty reply. Would like to avoid this thread closes because I am still working on this project and I would like to continue to share info about it, if you do not mind

1 Like

Looks incredible! You should do a “Kickstarter” no pun intended!

2 Likes

This thread has no timer set, so it should not expire. Even if it did, you could PM a moderator to unlock it.

3 Likes

Impossible for me even think about a kickstarter. Too complicated. Plus I have no control on the coding part and at this stage this is more an hardware hack for many controllrs. I just wish to share what is simply a way for anyone to make their own custom locomotion system. Maybe others can use part of this and offer more ways to achieve the same for common interest, without charging anyone for it. I have been sharing the codes and schematics and anything else for anyone to do the same. I hope at some point I can share files so that anyone can have small circuit boards printed. But this requires investments on my part so would take some time.

On the wish list is creating a custom made knuckle’s controller which would includ the locomotion system.

As it for now, I have shared a way to create custom vive controllers based on vive tracker in controller’s mode. And to this custom vive controller we can add this locomotion system.

Same is for gamepad controller. We can create custom gamepad controllers and to them add this locomotion system.

The other options requires hacking knuckles, oculus controllers , ps4 controllers or xbox controllers or most probably ps5 and xbox x controllers, to add this locomotion system.

I wish some people with experience in coding in arduino and c++ would help out. I wish there would be more people wishing to work together and achieve things that would make anyone happy, other than capitalise on things

4 Likes

Hi Marco, first time seeing this. I’m very impressed. I’m pretty busy with work, but I’ll take a full read up on this later.

I see you’re using the mega - nothing against ATMEL MCUs, but aside from having a large # of GPIOs, I find arduinos to be clunky, literally, in terms of size. ESP32 or ESP8266 are programmable through arduino IDE if that’s your thing, and have pretty much replaced arduino for me.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you so much!

I would use anything that works for now.

Since this in “prototype” status, and the final goal would be printing in pcb the circtuit and mount on a circuit the processor and kind or miniaturize things, I was not stressing on the form factor.

In the end whatever allows the use of accelerometers and pressure sensors or any other sensors we would think it could be useful for a locomotion system, would work.

I already invested buying all these parts, so I was thinking to stick with them and for now focus on the coding development/refining and connection to controllers and also focus on custom controller creation (custom knuckles).

The form factor/miniaturisation, is the last step, I think, at least based on my finances :slight_smile:
I can live with a bulky system until I have the money to go into miniaturisation

3 Likes

https://www.deviantart.com/akayakimi/art/ArduVR-left-hand-controller-838347620

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/comments/f6ca1p/finally_some_wellworking_arduino_jitter_from/

Looking forward to this be accomplished

3 Likes

Holy sh***t are you making your own dexmo gloves ?

The hand controller is not my work. It is his work => https://www.reddit.com/user/AkayaKimi/

I hope to add the locomotion to this custom controller, as he was also mentioning about it.

For whatever reason though , his page with the instruction is down and I am not sure what is going on with the project :frowning:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Co5u5vZ99BgJ:https://ovr.ayakimi.rf.gd/page1.html&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1&vwsrc=0

ps: I have just actually received a response from the person making the project above, and it puzzled me. So most probably nothing will come out of this project or maybe the person has other plans, that are unclear.

1 Like

There is also this project if u are interested

1 Like

@Heliosurge

What you were telling me a year os so ago :slight_smile:

Thinkign maybe if I can get a 10-15 m^2 and add to it:

1. walk in place
  2. run in place
  3. strafing in place
  4. backward movements in place
3 Likes

Looking into anyone that would be able to please help out with creating an OpenVR driver for this system so that anyone could use this arduino based custom locomotion system in vr without the need of hack the valve knuckles controllers as i did.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/blob/master/samples/driver_sample/driver_sample.cpp

1 Like