Could not launch application ISSUE

Tried the PE, but I cannot start a single game from PE.
I have tried with a lot of titles, like DCS, Forest, No Man’s Sky, Elite Dangerous, still have the same message: “could not launch application”

Starting games is still working from pitool by the way…

Any Ideas?

1 Like

I think there is an underlaying issue to this, which occurs before you even launch the game. Thats why the games arent starting for you, so its not really a launcher problem.

First off: Are you sure PiTool is running in the background - and do you have connection between PiTool and PE? In other words, can you change any HMD settings through PE? If not, then the connection is not establioshed. In the upcoming version 0.60 coming anytime, Armin have fixed a lot of issues with the connection between PiTool and PE, and also you will have a real-time status shown if connection is OK or not.

But until the version is out, could you please provide the Player.log file here? Just use pastebin.com to paste the entire log content and give us the link here in this thread.

the Player.log is found here:
C:\Users\your-username\AppData\LocalLow\Pimax\PVRHome\Player.log

Thanks

1 Like

I noticed that in PE there is an icon that says of the pitool connecting…

but i never connects.

But im cheating and uaing Pitool 261 but incopied PE 0.50 PVrhome into the folder

This is probably why. but until Pimax fixes Asgard and many other oculus games going Haywire with the tracking in v262 and above. I will need to use this version for now.

1 Like

Hmm I see. We will make sure that base functionality (all except PiTool settings and stuff) will work in PE without the PiTool connection required. Most of that work is already done actually by Armin the past week, but I think its still not 100% ready to be added into the upcoming 0.60 version. Let me check with Armin!

1 Like

AFAIK, the API part of PiTool wasn’t available before .264.

that explains alot. you dont think my recent not being wowed by 8kx resolution has to do with me using this older pitool do you?

Am i being capped to 1440p or something lol.

1 Like

Not sure but I wasn’t initially either… :wink:

Guess our expectations were too high, but I’m pretty sure going back would reveal the difference… :upside_down_face:

its funny because i remember feeling the same when i got to try the Samsung odyssey coming from a rift.

it was a 78% increase in rez but i was like "i know it looks better but…i was able to go back to rift no problem(alot of it had to do with the fact that despite the tech it was still a WMR headset)

1 Like

Thanx for help, Martin!

I think it is connected between PT and PE, 'coz in PE there is an info about my system, and if I change anything in PE, it is changing in the headset as well.
My config is 5xr, 2080ti, 9900k.

I just pasted my log file here:

Thanx,
George

Gonna post mine here too as I have the same problem but a different log

https://pastebin.com/CczBuy21

Thanks George!
Yes I see there is no issue with the communication between PiTool and PE, so thats not the cause…
Whats confusing though, is that the log you posted does not indicate any app launch. For instance, when launching a game, you should see log lines like (this is just an example):

2020-10-06 18:03:44:917 :[Debug] Opening Game-view popup with game: Board Games VR. Launcher for game is set to:  
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

2020-10-06 18:03:55:250 :[Debug] Preparing to launch selected game... 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

2020-10-06 18:03:55:251 :[Debug] Starting non-Steam game from SteamVR library with exe file: steam://launch/250820/VR 

2020-10-06 18:03:55:385 :[Debug] OK! The non-steam (SteamVR compatible) game started with SteamVR, using link: steam://launch/250820/VR 

2020-10-06 18:03:55:385 :[Debug] Attempting to Quit PVRHome application... 

2020-10-06 18:03:55:751 :[Debug] Forcing PVRHome Application to Quit. Goodbye! 

2020-10-06 18:03:55:751 :[PVR-Unity] Shutting down PVR. 

Could you please try launching PE again, launch any game and then Quit PE, and then paste the log again? you should have similar lines in the log like the above.

Thanks

1 Like

Interesting, thanks! It seems like the SteamVR Optimization process halts the launch. Armin already found the issue.

But meanwhile, could you please try to launch any game without applying the SteamVR profile (upon launch)? Just untick the second checkbox before pressing Play and see if the game launches.

Thanks

3 Likes

That did launch the game indeed

3 Likes

Great! We have made sure now so the SteamVR optimization cannot halt the launch-function.
It seems (from looking at your log), that you had some illegal character in the steamvr.vrsettings. at line containing “lastVersionNoticeDate”. That is the reason the script halted. Now, we have solved this by ignoring the error if it occurs.

Fixing the error in the json file itself is not necessary, as it should be fixed anyway by SteamVR once you start SteamVR (if file has any errors, SteamVR will correct it, or replace the entire file with a new default one).

Anyway, this shouldnt be an issue in next version :slight_smile:

Although,

4 Likes

Martin,

Another interesting issue should be: For first booting the windows and launched pitool, than PE, -the PE app has not detecting my config. (I have read that some of us has the same problem - that PE not detecting and connected to the hardware) I have launched steamvr, - PE closed, After quit steamvr - PE relaunched and it connected, detected my hardware at that point. After I have tried to launch DCS from PE, with still no success, “could not start the app…” Maybe you can use this info for help.
I just also pasted the fresh layer logfile (after “could not start the app…” message) here:

Hope helps,
George

1 Like

Martin,

Another thing should be helps for you. MAybe something should be with languages and charsets. I mean that was some similar issues in Simtools (that is a motion platform controller app) after upgrade it has some issues about the motion vectors in the code resulting strange movements, but only at european users…They finally solved the issue, cased by the language sets of windows, something in the app code has run different ways in different language packs. I don’t know if it can help you…

Cheers,
George