Constantly Getting Software Errors Between Gaming Sessions

The pimax 5k+ is great when it works, but I’m finding that much more often I need to spend 1-2 hours to fix random issues and get it working.

Sometimes the headset is not detected, sometimes it is not tracking, sometimes I the position is wrong and I view myself from above while in steamVR or my viewpoint is flushed with the floor. Is any one else getting errors frequently? and those that are not what are you doing to avoid the errors?

I have to keep doing random things like registry cleaning, uninstalling, reinstalling, stopping services, restarting services to get a play session in. It’s exhausting and often not worth it because by the time I get it to work I just don’t feel like playing anymore. How can I get it to work well more consistently?

I’m not. What version of PiTool are you using?

1 Like

I suspect you may be using an older PiTool version? The tracking issues could be related to USB ports. Try changing the USB port which your Pimax is connected to, this helps many times with occasional loss of tracking.

None of these should be needed before a session, sound like there could be some problems with your Windows installation maybe? Have you tried using your Pimax on a different PC, just to double-check?

5 Likes

Tbf 258 works great when it’s working but overloads my USB port and I get the error - ‘USB controller bandwidth exceeded, unplug a device to free up bandwidth’. Before any one says it, it’s the best USB controller you can get and is the one that was recommended by Oculus, the Fresco logic one. It is also the only device plugged into the 6 port PCI E card!

I think they needed to really push the limit to get the full Normal FOV at 120/144hz. I’m not complaining, I’m glad they got that to work even if they had to fly close to the sun to do it!

The flushed with the floor error tends to come when the headset crashes or is rebooted with Steam VR active. Disable Steam VR before rebooting the headset.

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s a bug which is sending excessive data through the USB port.

1 Like

How long since you did a fresh install of windows?

Before i got my 5k+ i was using a vive with no issues, when i started using the 5k+ i was getting random crashes of the steamvr process as well as steam itself, kicking me back to desktop with blank panels in the HMD.

I also tried taking tidying up measures which did nothing so in the end i decided to reinstall windows since it had been a year and half since last time and that stopped all the crashing, been running rock solid for almost a year and half now.

3 Likes

Yesterday, I pick 8k+ to friend 's house. Also has issue about tracking. But when I test with 9-axis mode, it still have wrong orientation and auto some moving.

This error caused in pimax home.

I try to restart service and reboot hmd, but not work.
When error caused without using base station. I think that this error may caused by power source, may be about usb, display port or power hub.

I ever assume that the error caused by lighthoust list, but may error caused by the headset.

2 Likes

You could try to wipe the lighthouse folder and re-do room setup. That’s what I’ve done when orientation was off.

3 Likes

I also experience frequent issues. However, trying to troubleshoot them directly is a waste of time, I’ve found. Just restart the headset once or twice, if that doesn’t work make sure steamvr is exited and restart the pitool service. Then try the headset again, restarting once more if needed. If all else fails restart the computer entirely. Shouldn’t take more than 5-10 minutes most times that issues arise.

1 Like

Sorry everyone for late reply. I am using the latest pitool, just updated very recently.

I tried something that seems to help, but might be a placebo effect… After lurking int he forums I saw someone mention unplugging and re-plugging the cable from the HMD side. I unplugged the cable from the HMD side and blew on the hole and cable like I used to for N64 cartridges haha.

Since then, I’ve had a whole day with no issues.
I’ll let you know if the tend continues, but I used to get errors initially almost every time I booted pitool and required a a new room setup for a few attempts.

1 Like

I think you were right, I updated that unplugging and re-plugging from HMD side seemed to help so far, but only been a day.

1 Like

I can attest to this, you can look in the forums for my mile long rants on my 5k+ not working and CTD on 80% of games I tried up until july 2019.

I reinstalled windows and every gane I was having trouble with worked right away and havent had any issues since.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.