Comfort kit installation - it's super hard to detach the original face part

I’ve received the confort kit for my 5K+ today, and I’m struggling on the very first step - detaching the old face part.
Like I watched in some of the videos giving instruction on how to do it, I pulled it from the side, like almost as hard as I could that even ended up making some small cracks on my 5K+'s front part worse, it wouldn’t come off.:cold_sweat:
Is it just happening to me or is taking the original face part off from the HMD that hard and needs that much :muscle: power…?

3 Likes

I am in the same boat! Recieved it today, ordered April 3rd from Aliexpress, shipping to germany.

I managed to get one part off near the nose area, but the rest is just not moving and my 5K+ squeakes like it is dying XD also got some cracks i don’t want to make worse…

Edit: 小派5K/8K系列舒适套装 (Comfort Kit) 拆装教程_哔哩哔哩_bilibili
Confort kit pour les Pimax - Installation & Avis - (English Subtitles) - YouTube
Found the videos! Was on the aliexpress page and one from youtube :wink:

She just pulls on the sides. I am not the strongest but just pulling doesn’t work…

Edit2: My fingers hurt :joy:
Edit3: Squeezed the HMD between my legs/knees, grabbed one side of it and pulled like never before…still nothing…

Edit4: Finally! Got the two lower parts arround the nose loose and pulled on one side. My hands are shaking and hurting now. And i do martials arts, so my fingers should be used to some punishment :joy: but this was worse than some break tests i had to to…

5 Likes

So it seems you just have to be stronger than the plastic (which was not the strongest i thought due to the cracks :grin:). I partially ripped of the edges of these little plastic things that hold the cover in place…

Same here, I used a screwdriver (very carefully) to push the edges out.
It was hard but in the end all is fine. That means that some people may easily break some things…

I hope that this operation will not be necessary in the future (confort kit already installed).

The confort kit is soft, comfortable, it is wayyy better, BUT clearly made for very wide faces because I had to put some parts of my old face protection to close the holes and fit perfectly to my face. I’m a litte disapointed for the price.

1 Like

The old plastic is also harder than the new one. The new one bends more easily so i hope it comes off better now.

I used a srewdriver to push the plastic things back in, so one way or the other a useful tool here :wink:

Oh! I got it!
Starting from the nose part was the key!
I pull the nose part like till it flips and from there I could pull off the rest of the parts like pulling plants out by the root.
Thank you for all the effort and help!!:smile:

3 Likes

Glad I could help :kissing_closed_eyes:

Mine was hard to remove also, it came off in the end, but the new comfort kit is not securely fixed , but its OK.

You got to push and wiggle it until it “clicks”. Mine was loose at the top and i thought my Vive-DAS adapter was blocking it. But after some tries, i pushed the right spot and heared the “click” :wink:

2 Likes

IIRC they plan on releasing an alternate face foam for smaller faces.

1 Like

Your all making me jealous.

Ordered my comfort kit in january from the pimax site and still nothing. Wondering if I should cancel and order from aliexpress

I had to mod my comfort kit to achieve 1cm more distance to the lens, but it’s a game changer for me.

2 Likes

@Yen
Interesting, I was pondering a 3D print which enables adjustment of the “eye to lens” distance. But I will not receive my comfort kit before my 8K X’s are shipped unfortunately.
Any chance we can see a picture of your mod ? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Of course!!

3 Likes

Doesnt that extra centimeter make your field of view a lot narrower as compared with the default original face gasket?

Yes!! 5% less FOV but 100% less distortion and absolutely nothing of glare.

Actually this is the problem. Pimax want to offer a BIG FOV. Everyone want BIG FOV. No one want to sacrifice any degree of fov. That the reason why Pimax HMD has a lot of problems.

You can force Oculus/HTC/Index to have more fov, if you reduce distances. But it gives you a lot of new problems, like distortions/glare/etc…

Pimax simply went to the other side and searched maximum fov, ignoring the rest of problems. But it isn’t a fault for Pimax… people want to see this numbers in paper, and force theirs HMDs to the maximum.

Then… everybody has eyestrain, glare, distortions, problems (like me. I forced my hmd), and in the last moment… you understand that you want to enjoy the experience, and not have maximum fov.

Now… I have a bit less fov, but in large fov you can’t appreciate the difference. But my experience is the “maximum in general” that Pimax can give me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.