Cheap Innovative black border fix for narrow FOV HMDs

Can this cheap technology be adapted to VR where we replace the black border with colored LEDs? Certainly it would be a huge jump in immersion, and would only cost pennies in the overall scheme of things.

It will probably have to be baked into the HMD behind each screen. The interior of the display module will also likely have to be a lighter colour for better reflection, while also minimising reflections/glare into the lenses.

It’s not an ideal solution by any means, however it would be a good half-way house between current gen black borders and expensive high FOV HMDs…

2 Likes

Saw a video about someone modding his rift or vive with an diy ambilight led stripe. Said it did enhance the immersion. But it obviously is not for the masses.
Real benefit you only gain if there is new information processed in the ambilight stripe. For that you need a driver which supports that calculation (ingame support). Call it an extreme version of VRS. Not practical -will not happen.
In the above mentioned example the information displayed comes from the outermost pixels of the hdmi signal. No new information, just expanded.

Found another Video:
Rift Ambilight

To me it would break immersion. But I remember it being the first problem I saw in my vive and the reason I backed the kickstarter.

Yeah on reddit someone did this for “fake wide FOV” effect. They said it worked really well. IIRC there is some patent (sony?) on sililar ideas so they said they could not manufacture or sell it.

Ahah here it is. Apple, not sony.

well acording to some youtuber anything but absolute perfect peripheral picture quality is worse than worthless so I¨m guessing this kind of thing would make the users eyes fall out of their head.

1 Like

I’ve seen that before, but as a built-in feature of the TV itself.

It seems to me that you could achieve this same effect with a border of white cardboard, angled towards the viewer at a 45° angle. It would simply reflect the existing scattered screen light towards the viewer and have the added advantage of blocking some of the surrounding room light. Of course, this method has no “cool factor” and would probably look tacky.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.