Changes in new 5K+ models?

Hi,

I’m backer number 5XX and recieved my 5K+ in december 2018. During black friday I ordered a new 5K+ on Amazon Germany and recieved it today. My new Pimax got serial number 204200939xxxxx. I’m using Pitool .197 and firmware 244. I have strong distortion on my new Pimax 5K+ in every FOV. No comparison to my old “backer” 5K+, that has nearly zero distortion. Also the refresh rate which can be set is 65, 90 and 120 hz. There is no 64 and 72 hz option. Are these software related issues or are there hardware changes? Especially the distortions are very annoying and I’m thinking about sending it back, if it’s a hardware problem…

Best Regards
Uppi93

3 Likes

You might want to try the update to the newest firmware? 248
If that does not help create a ticket, very often PiMax can helps solve it - in the worst case by changing the hardware.

@Matthew.Xu is there any thing known about this behavior and or the version specifics of this 5k+?

2 Likes

Already tried to flash firmware 248 but it seems not to be compatible with my headset. Just getting a light blue LED an headset is not recognized anymore. Had to rollback to 244 via DFU mode to get it working again.

1 Like

You mean you manually tried to update the headset, or you installed the latest PiTool and it did the automatic update? If the former, it may as well be that your headset is not compatible with the firmware, which seems to be quite confusing, when it seems to be a new model (considering the S/N).

3 Likes

Tried to update manually via DFU tool in Pimax install folder, as the 248 firmware ist not included in .197 Pitool. Then I had to rollback to 244 via CMD.

2 Likes

@Matthew.Xu some ideas?

Hi @Uppi93, please go to the helpdesk to create a new ticket and ask for the support. Thank you.

@Matthew.xu Newer models should be improving not getting worse? why is there less distortion on older models compared to the newer models?

wasn’t the production line changed to make sure manufacturing is consistent? It looks like some devices have different panels (it would explain why OP can’t do 64hz or 72hz)

We discussed a lot of improvements in new products in the forum, including materials, technology, production process and so on. And the distortion has also been improved.

Okay so if thats true @Matthew.xu then why does @Uppi93 have more distortion on his newer device compared to his late 2018 backer 5k+, why is the distortion worse on the newer device?
Distortion should be getting better not worse, and I don’t see how it could be a manufacturing issue if the production is all automated and triple checked now?

So is the greater amount of distortion in @Uppi93’s newer 5k+ because of the panels or more defects in the automated production line?

I think need to let our technical support determine the cause of the problem.

1 Like

I think I have similar issues, just got my RMA back with serial 204200942xxxxx and by default it has heavy warping on both sides. I played around set the IPD to max (instead of my 68.5) and increased offset, after that it gets better but the distortions are still there.

After 1 month now of only Index usage this was quite shocking…

Have to play around more…

But could that maybe be the reason? After being used for a month to a distortion free image (on the index) swapping back to pimax feels like a distortion-shock?

1 Like

Maybe this is one factor but by default the warping is so heavy like you are drunk…

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m getting a new headset for RMA soon too, I hope it doesn’t have such issues :confused: My current early model 5K+ doesnt’ have any distortion issues…

I call bollocks on this being a problem on “newer models”. I got mine a week ago and the optics and displays were faultless. Their packaging has improved too.

3 Likes

Got my replacement last month. IPD is right on. Optics are great and the build is much better in fit and finish than the one that cracked (new one built Jan 2019). No evidence of cracking. Unless cracks appear again, I am quite pleased, Confidence is high.

5 Likes

I am impressed that even after the P2 version they went and made further improvements to their existing product line. They could have just put all their R&D into the next models, but they seem to have pride in their work and are willing to improve.
I was waiting on the RMA before putting down money for the 8KX, now I feel they have earned my continued patronage.

4 Likes

Kevin had told me the US inventory was better than the original in that they had tightened up manufacture and testing. He also indicated the Shanghai inventory was even better still. A third level of improvement was the intimation.

This perhaps bolds well for the US running out and awaiting new inventory from China, as it will be the latest and greatest so far. Not to say there will be zero defects which very few companies attain that. They seem to have much better QA in general.

My biggest fear in RMAing was that aside the cracks was, I loved my panels and was concerned I would get a replacement with less desirable panels. My replacement exceeded my expectations. Happy as a pig in poop with the build.

2 Likes

Little update on this:

Firmware 255 is working on SN204 headset but just with pitool 197. Using Pitool 245 the Headset is not recognized.

Sadly firmware doesn‘t change anything, still heavy distortion in every FOV mode and no 72 hz mode. The headset is not usable at the moment:(

1 Like