CES Impressions please?

Could anyone lucky enough to get to CES this year give your first impressions on the 8K X and plus please?

7 Likes

Live streams (hopefully) from MRTV should be up when the CES show floor opens in about 6 hours. Reviews and first impressions should followed shortly.

8 Likes

Still nothing but this will hopefully be a live stream from @vrgamerdude

5 Likes

I have CK questions! As posted earlier, just replaced my torn second WMR face foam with double sided velcro under the original Pimax foam - totally unusable blurry, warped, juddering mess. Added about 6 layers now and barely improving, even another 5cm wouldn’t do.

I think the standard foam is totally wrong for my face (it was under the WMR foam before) - nice quality and feel, but far too firm to adapt. I cannot get any sweet spots with that thing.

I’m worried the CK and MAS might not be the perfect solution I’m hoping it to be, even if it’s great for others.

Can someone please check the following:

1. What thickness / firmness is the current CK foam compared to the original foam?
  2. If the CK on demo is not quite production ready, in what ways will it differ from the final version?
  3. What foam options will Pimax offer for the CK in case we need to swap it out? Any confirmation from PImax of planned thickness and material types would be great.

Thanks!

1 Like

the actual livestream is here

2 Likes

Finally they found a beautiful logo haha I like it

1 Like

its on the new website too, only black in stead of white. me likes it

Thanks for sharing the event with us! Very excited to hear more details about the 8KX!

2 Likes

no problem, happy to share it exited too for new impressions!

1 Like

and MRTV Live

8 Likes

Can anyone confirm how the MAS receives audio - via USB or a separate jack? I only saw one cable coming from the unit, but I know there’s a junction box as before with Pimax headsets and Googling the DAS, it has a jack.

If USB, I would want to not send audio to the MAS speakers but to my PC 2.1 speakers instead (I lost a lot of hearing in my right ear last summer, which unfortunately means VR positional audio is a no no for me).

Would I be right in thinking I can just go to the Sound setup on the PC when the headset is plugged in, just set my main playback device (ie PC soundcard) to be the default again? I’ll guess when the MAS is plugged in, it is detected as a playback device in its own right and picks up the audio instead.

If it’s a jack then irrelevant I can just not plug it in :slight_smile:

You should be able to choose any sound device as output in Windows no matter what kind of device it is.

If only using SteamVR You can also make it switch between devices when starting/stopping SteamVR.

2 Likes

Thanks, I assume that to be the case but just don’t want any interesting surprises :wink:

I’ll have a detailed look at the SteamVR options, haven’t checked the audio settings there :+1:

1 Like

Did I catch that right that on one of the streams (I think it was vrgamerdude) that the 8kx will run at 120Hz in upscale mode - I can’t see anything explicit to that effect on the Pimax website or am I missing something? If so, anyone know what is the max FOV that might work in?

3 Likes

In one of MRTV’s videos, Kevin said that the 8KX “should” be able to do 80Hz native and 120Hz in upscale mode. That’s great news!

7 Likes

I’ve heard that the 8k X is running at 80hz at CES. That’s pretty awesome if it’s true! Is this the case? @PimaxUSA

5 Likes

Thanks Neal i missed that, i did notice it on a comparison chart but thought it was a mistake :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s awesome news if true.

1 Like

Is it just me, the silver metallic chevron on the 8kX looks so premium.

@vrgamerdude You mentioned in your stream that the chevron is now silver metallic on the 8kX, do you know if this as default for all the 8kX’s. Can you check with Robin Weng on this.

Source: https://youtu.be/-w7gZPWwJOQ?t=32

6 Likes

I too think the metallic chevron looks premium, but the choise of blueish color for the Vision series, not a fan :neutral_face: don’t really see the point. I held back on commenting this untill I was looking @mixedrealityTV video and seeing the VivePro wands, it looks like it’s the same color. :upside_down_face:
Really looking forward to recieving my 8kX, and hopefully the color won’t be that bad :rofl:

5 Likes