CES 2018 V5 Road To Vr Review!

No he is reporting eye strain on distant objects which can happen if the IPD is completely wrong.

Oh, I didnā€™t mean to say that I believe tracking will be harder to solve than optics, quite the opposite actually.

What Iā€™m saying is that they licensed a fully functional tracking solution from Valve including hw and sw and still havenā€™t been able to get it to work at this. Which is why it worries me that much because the issues in optics are that much harder to solve as Pimax cannot rely on outside R&D and have to instead develop it themselves.

Honestly, I expected maybe somewhat mixed feedback from CES regarding lenses, possibly the colour gammut of the LCDs and a nudge towards lacking ergonomics - the kind of issues roadtovr is reporting cannot be solved in a timely and iterative manner. We are talking a neccessary paradigm shift such as drastically reducing FOV to start to narrow down the persistent issues and possibly a large scale investment into their partnership with Valve if they want to get tracking sorted.

1 Like

The tracking issue could very well be to do with the fact they have hidden the sensors. Iā€™d like to know what demo this guy was on and if the tracking problem exists across all of the demos or not.

All the other issues seem to me to be a simple matter of more engineering time being required.

Fucking hilarious some of the backers here, already talking about refunds. :joy: Take a valium FFS, how do you survive the real world with such little patience.

3 Likes

I am pretty sure that Linustechtips did report tracking issues in his review like 2 months ago.

Isnā€™t it obvious now why they didnā€™t do a press conference?.. I feel for you backers!

They say you canā€™t teach a old guy new tricksā€¦ We only have to look at the nightmares with their 4k headset to know they struggle fixing things.

I would be looking to hiring a few new people if I was pimax as they have the money to do itā€¦ Iā€™m sure someone from the outside could fix these issues within 2 months.

They could even make it open source, but they wonā€™t do that.

The guys behind psmoveservice could fix this software within weeks.

1 Like

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

I will wait for other reviews and see if they are reporting the same issues. Hard to say if this is limited to the headset used (possibly not tweaked) or it is a general issue with both headsets. I believe that they have taken two headsets.

Iā€™m conscious of their hard push to 80hz which might have introduced all sorts of displaying issues .

Iā€™m really surprise that they have taken this prototype to CES, what were they thinking? people will not notice!

Please hire professionals to help push this product to the next level and while you are at it hire better quality controllers.

CES is not meant for collecting feedback but to showcase your product. the bad press can destroy your reputation

very poor execution indeed.

Imgur

4 Likes

The good thing is that no one complains about the refresh rate ā€¦

2 Likes

Its a prototype, not a final productā€¦

Totally agree. They have issues to fix, and I dont mind waiting while they do that. I can live with 180/190 FOV and as long as it has a higher resolution as it would still better than whats currently out there.

Pimax really do need to sort out their communication, this is the 3rd time they have dropped bomb shells on its community/backers. People were expecting things to be in a better state, especially given all the talk about beta testing.

1 Like

The strange thing is, if you check out the reviews of one year ago, when they show-cased their V1 prototype, the only thing they added on the HMD is the positional tracking and IPD. And those seem to have flaws in their functioning, and on the other issues they seem to have managed to almost rather add issues then removed themā€¦ but okay, let us wait and see what the other reviewers and normal users say.
Perhaps they need to fix a lot. But perhaps the 8K with a bit of fixing the most dire issues could at least serve as a special purpose HMD, e.g. for cockpit sims where you do not move the head around all the time, but have it largely stationary where perhaps some mnor flaws or latency in the tracking would not be noticed so badly. As I am looking for the upgrade in experience primarily for such sims, and perhaps watching the odd movie in VR, it might still serve its purpose, even if flawed.
Letā€™s wait and see.

On the lens issue being reported, I did get the impression that all of the distortions they describe where in fact at the very boundaries of the lenses, hence my assumption of it simply being the distortion created by the rounded edges of the lenses. That would be something which is to be expected and just needs to be covered up with some fabric, so you see black instead of distorted, moving & irritating light. If just all issues could be fixed that easilyā€¦

I still keep my opinion that Pimax was paid to fail at least at CES 2018.

All the facts and demos and reviews so far justify this.

But here are political reasons for this failure:

• if Pimax came with the perfect VR HMD at CES, HTC and all others would have felt out of attention of everybody

• that would have made them (HTC ) step back from further investment in an already obsolete technology (lower specs than Pimax)

• and thatā€™s how the year 2018 would have been a loss for VR because Pimax would never manage to launch the product they promised

What has happened now with Pimax at CES was a necesity for VR in any form to survive this year.

This is the most optimistic way of thinking, I can only hope to be right.
Otherwise, we are all f**ed.

5 Likes

I think itā€™s clear we need to wait for further reviews. ā€˜Testedā€™ originally reported similar distortions, but yet ā€˜@Sweviverā€™ who uses VR extensively every day didnā€™t observe such a problem.

Unless I missed it, RTVR didnā€™t suggest which games they tried. If the latency/low FPS/whatever was from a badly set up DCS then Iā€™m not surprised. I have many problems with it with the Vive and just deal with it.

As for tracking, this could be any number of things at a show like this, or perhaps their new hidden sensors are a new issue.

Iā€™m going to remain optimistic for now.

1 Like

Disappointed.

Give your HMD to fanboys already to write positive review.

Iā€™ll wait for further reviews to see how much really needs doing but if things are really as bad as described, youā€™ve got to wonder what sort of idiot would take a product in this state to CES 2018 and not expect a slating. They really need some good press.

They used ā€˜The Blueā€™, as always. So far no mentions of any other experiences being showcased.

This just popped up on reddit:

Iā€™m calling it right now, we as backers are fucked and I should personally have listened to those that already went through the 4K shitshow.

What a bummerā€¦

In other news, at least Pimaxā€™s community management is as capable as their PR/Marketing/engineering. I mean, what did they seriously expect rocking up to the CES in that state? The minimum would have been a quick post BEFORE the show on this forum to make their backers aware of what would undoubtedly be scrutinized and reported on and comment on each issue on how they plan to remedy it. The way they did this AGAIN is pretty mindblowingly naive at best, deceptive at worst.

I use Google Translate
We have to wait for the Pimax answers.
and especially to know why the V5 has more problem than the V3.
The V3 was almost perfect after the returns, while the returns of the V5 say that the mask is unusable.
illogical

1 Like

Oh right, new version, new problems