CES 2018 V5 Road To Vr Review!

Xunshu , Then there is one thing I do not understand, what was the purpose of showing the v5 at CES?

3 Likes

You are perfectly right. We all agree with that, they are amateurs and don’t have anything at hand.

Then why CES ? What else are they doing there except showing this absolute horible thing.

The damage they did being there is magnitudes order higher then if they stayed at home pretending they missed the airplane.

2 Likes

“Get feedback”
But what if there are problems about which they already knew.

If they were not paid for fail, what was the purpose of the 14 million dollar support ?

Answer this question.

They are still to release a final product. They have closed both their Kickstarter campaign and a round of private funding.

So what damage has exactly been done?

The only thing that matters in the end is the final product. That will go out to testers, reviewers and backers and their opinions will be what matters and what creates buzz and a market push for the product or if it’s not good it will fail.

how about you learn to read…

2 Likes

With each new prototype, the thing goes backwards instead of moving forward.

@deletedpimaxrep1 I think you need to do a poll of your backers, I would imagine most of us would rather have a smaller FOV if it means a significantly better SDE situation, causing these issues by trying to go bigger on FOV was an unnecessary risk for CES

6 Likes

Do you not understand how business and private equity markets work? Private Equity Explained With Examples and Ways to Invest

If it was money paid to get them to fail do you really think it would have been made public? No it would have been under the table money.

And when will we have this final product?

After these horrifing hands-on from road2vr, I do noch expect anything before the last quarter of this year! Sad but I´m afraid we have to wait many month!

1 Like

So, in your opinion, what do you think those who invested capital in Pimax have to say now ?
Or , another way, don’t you think Pimax would have done everything possible to fulfill the investors expectations ?

What did they do instead ? Or better, what do you think was the investors goal ?

My supposiotion is that the investors goal was to protect their other investments. Pimax is a nuissance.

But that’s me, I don’t try to convince others, but keep in mind , this is a multibillion market, a lot is going on under the table

100% agreed.

Before any of the Pimax White Knights chime in here (I’m looking at you @Heliosurge) I want to make perfectly clear that I really do feel for these guys.

They shot for the moon, they got amazing funding, great press and really were put on a pedestal they couldn’t hope to stay on without delivering what they had promised within the ridiculous timeframe that they had set themselves.

So now you have issues in R&D which is normal and part of the process, but you also commited serious capital to appear on the global stage at CES and a community that given their sizable investment is scrutinizing every bit of information to get their hands on. That is a very difficult position to be in and one that the majority of small companies do not recover from.

Add to that what I consider to be deep-rooted cultural differences between mostly Western backers and a Chinese company and this is the result we see:

Non-functional hardware that is being reported on by the global VR press.

I do very much hope I’m wrong, but this could definitely be the end of the road for Pimax in the high-end VR segment.

7 Likes

Lower the Fov to 180-190… Still massive upgrade over rift etc.

Don’t lower picture quality wanting to stretch the image to 200 fov

9 Likes

yeap, but I would complete your statments like this:

Non-functional hardware that is being reported on by the global VR press, FORTUNATELY FOR THE BIG PLAYERS IN THE FIELD.

1 Like

Let it go, please. In a way @mirq is actually trying to stay positive if you look at at that way as he’s trying to find a reason for this very pressing question:

If you know your prototype is serioulsy flawed, why on earth show it a CES? This is not a neighbourhood VR Meetup, it is the single biggest show on earth that professional companies use to show the best aspects of what they are working on or even the final product that will be released. It’s a setting that is meant to create demand and develop a brand.

No one in their right mind would have rocked up in the state that Pimax did.

2 Likes

Honestly you seem somewhat level headed but this statement is a huge stretch. Similar small H/W startups have done much worse and gone on to much bigger things.

3 Likes

I think you overestimate the threat that Pimax would have posed to HTC, Rift and the likes.

Just in terms of hardware requirement the 8K wouldn’t have made waves outside the super-enthusiast niche and it’s actually a great way for other companies to gauge demand for high-end VR completely for free.

All said, if the 8K had succeeded in the way we were all hoping for, one of the big players would have acquired them immediately. Way easier than shadow investments which you appear to suggest.

2 Likes

Common guys, give them a break.
Do we get emotional by one review ?
We all want our pimax HDM to be it a success.
I think @twack3r has a point.
But let’s wait a bit longer before we get really nervous.
And yes I am a backer too ( 8K full package )

There are so many negativ comments that I disagree so I don’t even want to spent my time arguing with these guys, but I want to greet pimax devs team, keep going, you’re doing well, im sure there are many people who might support your business plan even if they don’t write about that :slight_smile:

@deletedpimaxrep1

3 Likes