Certain games fail to launch

For some reason, certain games in my SteamVR library fail to launch within the latest PE. Majority of my library works, but a few games I still have to launch via SteamVR. Any ideas why that would happen? These are SteamVR games purchased and downloaded directly through steam. What happens is SteamVR starts and I see the grid, but it never actually loads.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue with IL2. Except it did run a few times and then quit. Now the game will only start in flat screen mode no matter how I start it. (Whether in pitools or from steam or even from the desktop icon.

Believe I had same issues and moved on. But somthing is definitely conflicting.

Did you happen to try launching them, without applying any optimizations from PE?
If not, please try and share your result with us.

To do that, you can either:

• Uncheck the checkboxes in each game detail page, before launching the game.
  • Uncheck the checkboxes under Settings page, to disable applying optimizations to any/all games.

If you have more time to test this scenario on your machine a bit further, you can follow these steps to help narrow down where the problem might be originated from:

• First directly launch Steam VR from your machine (not via PE) and then run the game to check the game works. This is important, since we make sure Steam VR runs and sets its own settings, if any file or parameter was malformed or incorrect for any reason.
  • When the game runs correctly (as you expect it to run), then quit the game and Steam VR.
  • Launch PiTool (if not running already) and run the game via PiTool directly. This should launch Steam VR as well as the game.
  • If the game does not run correctly, there is something wrong regarding PiTool settings. We can check this further/later.
  • If the game does run correctly, then quit both the game and Steam VR, but leave PiTool running as it is.
  • Launch PE.
  • In game details where you select your game to play it, make sure the checkboxes are unchecked, so nothing extra is applied by PE.
  • Launch the game via PE.
  • If the game does not run correctly, then we might need further checks (with your help again) to figure out why.
  • If the game does run correctly, then the problem seems to be with optimization settings. In this case, parameters can be the adjusted/corrected from within your PE itself to fix the issue.

I look forward to your results.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thank you for the response. I’ll check these steps out today and report back. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

It seems there are some games that does not automatically trigger SteamVR to start when launched from PE. In these rare cases, the game starts in desktop mode. Therefore, we will elaborate with a function to that forces SteamVR start upon each game launch (only for SteamVR games of course). If it turns out to work, we will add it to the next version of PE :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t get a chance to test it out yesterday, but that sounds to be the issue. Thank you for looking into it, and appreciate all the hard work you two are putting into it.