Can We Get Acknowledgement of the Pimax Specific RTX 4090 Latency / Lag Issue please?

How do we reconcile the fact that your update contradicts the updates we are receiving from Pimax Support please?

I was told about 3 weeks ago by Pimax Support that Pimax were working on a fix, then 2 weeks ago they said that Nvidia were fixing with a driver update.

Nvidia deny they are working on it to me.

Now your update reads like Pimax have just sent stuff to Nvidia to investigate.

I am now unable to use my 2 Pimax headsets for a month, and right now I feel there is no meaningful update.

This is not confidence inspiring.

It’s already been explained pretty clearly to you that your interaction with Nvidia support is not worth much. You keep constructing narratives and treating them as absolute.

I feel your frustration but try to remain constructive.

All we can do is be patient and keep raising awareness of the problem.

1 Like

Wut? I am not constructing any narratives, and I don’t need ‘explaining to’.

I am simply asking which is the correct response given that there is a variety of responses quoted from Pimax.

My take on this? As Pimax and Nvidia do consult each other. It is likely they are working on this issue together.

1 Like

I would like to believe so, of course. But as a SW engineer myself, I know all to well the blame game that sometimes happen where neither party acknowledges a given issue. It’s very easy to kick the ball over to the other player. I really hope that is not the case here though.

1 Like

The matter continued to interested me and I experimented to get this problem.
After days of tinkering on the computer I still had no success, but today my bad memory still has something to say.

Well, I can actually understand the latencies now. The picture sometimes lags behind.
The reason for my originally smooth experience is my active LINDY 38415 Repeater, which probably smoothes the signal.

Maybe someone can counter-test that, then you would at least have a reasonably cheap workaround to the problem.

@DrWilken - any (affected) person with a 40xx in your Area?

1 Like

Isn’t a repeater for extending HDMI signals over long distances? Shouldn’t using the Pimax optical cable be sufficient?

Also, there is no lag in signal, just in tracking head movements. So the image is being displayed up to speed, but just changes in position are like they are not getting back to the GPU quick enough. Not sure if this is via the displayport or HDMI. I assume displayport?

1 Like

display port 1.4 - 8k resolution@60Hz. I also don’t understand why there is a discrepancy between motion and image. It feels like some images have been repeatedly transmitted. Possibly because the signal is too fast for the older 8kx Gen1 scaler. I’m only rudimentary in the matter.

1 Like

With the 3090ti these cards seems to have weak DP signal. The fix for it with the 8kX was to use an active repeater with a short dp cable.

If what @dstar experiment is true somevof tye 4090s might also have a similar issue that the repeater’s boost might help in fixing.

Anything is possible. During the p1 series pimax had created a workaround firmware for rx400/rx500 And Vega series Amd gpus. In this case it was indeed an issue with Amd’s change in Architecture. It wasn’t until after the KS release that Amd with Pimax was able to address the issue that required changes in both drivers/firmware.

Hopefully it doesn’t take as long to address this issue. As the Revised 8kX only works at present with RTX desktop cards it is indeed a priority for pimax to have working for all users.

Similarly it will also be some kind of priority for Nvidia as they need headsets like pimax’s to help drive sales as Flat games are not likely to need or leverage this amount of gpu power.

Unfortunately time is always a paramount issue. The 3090ti issues with connecting might have been a preview of the 4000 series having some issues on launch that were seeing.

It is always frustrating to upgrade to newly released architecture to have issues that was not a problem in the previous series.

By difference in motion versus image let me give an example to explain:-

Let’s say I am in cockpit in DCS. I click a button on my joystick and the image in the headset to the corresponding change has no lag. The in cockpit switch moves with no lag.

However if I move my head, the movement of the 3D world in the cockpit lags behind. It doesn’t update immediately.

So the image is not lagging, just the tracking of head movement has a lag. Does that give a clearer explanation of what I mean?

1 Like

I know what you mean… and as written, I didn’t have it as I always have the lindy in between to add 3 meters to my playing area.

Without the repeater, I then also got the Latency, of which you report.

In my test, I stuck to the Pimax Home environment you mentioned. The planet immediately lagged behind, even jumping from left to right 1-2 times.

But before making a wild purchase, I would also wait for a second test… although I think the repeater is an asset for the 8kx. But for the 12kx it will probably be useless again.

3 Likes

Pure Neugier :rofl:

1 Like

Reasonably cheap? That things expensive! Not in stock anywhere either.

Got one coming next week and I will update on whether it worked or got sent back.

2 Likes

Indeed “reasonably cheap” is very subjective.

Well, it also gives you the option of extending the X’s cable by a few meters… and it’s stable. Not cheap, but not huge either. I find the water block for my 4090 more expensive. Nearly 450 euros. :see_no_evil: crazy

Godd Luck!

3 Likes

Don’t put too much stock into the exact details of what’s been said to customers about this issue by Pimax and nVidia. This is a complex engineering problem, and we on the sidelines aren’t going to be told a play by play on the internal details of what’s going on. Is it nVidia’s fault? Are they fixing it on their side? Is it Pimax’s fault? Are they fixing it on their side? The answers to these questions are probably not simple, and it also may be a moving target as the two companies work on the issue.

What matters from our perspective is that they are working on the issue. I suggest that we let their engineers do their jobs and not second guess them from the sidelines based on the scant second hand information we hear about.

We should not assume that Pimax’s situation is actually the same as Varjo’s situation. It’s likely that they are both caused by the same changes nVidia made for the 40 series, but how exactly this affects their VR headsets doesn’t appear to be the same, and the remedies may not be the same.

The Aero seems to have been hit much worse by the changes nVidia made. Reportedly this caused problems that were immediately obvious and untenable across their entire customer base. In some ways this is actually better because reproducing the problem was easy and obvious. Whereas for Pimax the effects have been more subtle in most cases and harder to reproduce and analyze, seemingly only affecting a small portion of their customer base. That actually makes the issue relatively more insidious and difficult for Pimax to resolve.

That’s very interesting. I don’t know about “smoothing the signal”, but the presence of the repeater in the chain does clearly have effects on video transmission. It might be causing a different mode to be selected or something along those lines. This would be inline with the observation that this issue doesn’t seem to happen to all Pimax customers. The problem may only occur in specific scenarios, and the presence of the repeater may change the scenario such that it’s using a different branch of the code that avoids the issue.

That’s also inline with the theory that this may really be an nVidia issue and other companies are just implementing workarounds that avoid it. Their “fixes” may just be avoiding using the particular mode that has the problem. Putting the repeater into the chain might accomplish the same thing.

All of this is just speculation though, but it’s plausible. The upshot is that based on your results, experimenting with the Lindy repeater is worth giving a shot as a potential immediately available workaround.

I don’t think you’re right about this. This is almost certainly lag on the video side and has nothing to do with tracking. Specifically, it is a lag somewhere between reprojection of the frame and display on the physical panel. It becomes human perceivable by making fast turning head movements, but the lag is actually always there.

1 Like

FYI: I have the exact same “ghost frame” issue, Gainward 4090 Phantom, I7-13900K, 8kx. I didn’t have this issue with my 2080TI. When I swap the gfx cards and leave everything else untouched, the problem appears only on the 4090. I will issue a ticket to both nvidia and Pimax as suggested here.

2 Likes

Sorry but no, I have tested this. There is no lag in the video. Quoting my previous example, I flick a switch on my joystick and the switch in cockpit flicks with no lag. It moving my head causes lag in the tracking of that movement.

As such the whole video feed is not delayed, just head tracking movements.

1 Like

Maybe it is new chipset problem? I have z490 and 10700k and no this problem, I paly only ED and don’t now how about in other games, while the 4090 didn’t improve the fps at all in this game, same was 3090

1 Like