Can I please have my awesome 8k headset now please?

Maybe this will help
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/71nep4/pimax_8k_target_resolution_and_gpu_power_estimates/

1 Like

Maybe Pimax will pull somin crazy and integrate eye tracking directly into the Pimax 8k. Thus making foveated rendering more likely to be supported. It wouldn’t even be that expensive, as long as they went with Adhawk. Supposedly 20 dollars for both eyes, and it’s low power so the other modules can probably still be used with it. Plus we wouldn’t have to use one/two usb ports just for the eye tracking.

Yeah, fingers crossed for that one, indeed.

As for performance without FR… Well, when they demo’d it ages ago, they did it with a gtx 1080 laptop.
It was able to run several titles including for example project cars. so tbh I’m not too worried. The top end games like skyrim, fallout and such; yeah it is clear that not even a 1080ti is enough for those.

1 Like

That is a bit harsh, isn’t it ? I am wildly enjoying VR at the moment (save for the heat), but with a Rift & 980Ti.

But I guess you were talking about the 8K. So if I recall correctly it was MRTV who had the 1070 and that was just a bit too weak, but the 1080 would be a reasonable entry level to really play the ordinary games we want to play without too much sacrifice on graphics details (compared to the 1080Ti) ?

1 Like

Yes. I had the 8K in mind when saying that. It is merely my expectation. A 1080 will suffice for current games and experiences. But if you want to enjoy your VRrig for at least 2 years with the 2nd gen VR coming out in 2019/2020, you don’t want to purchase 1080s anymore right now. That money can be spent better. Why not wait for the 1180, coming this summer (it was expected to launch in last week of july, I thought). Or the 1180ti.

It is what I read between the lines of what SweViver is saying in his comments and what Heliosurge’s comments make me contemplate. If you also add up the comments made by many other commenters about the FOV and reasons for or against foveated rendering being required for smooth 8K experiences it makes me wonder if current high-ends should be the bare minimum.

I don’t believe a 1070 will do after 2018. Or just for low specs. Players with 1080 will enjoy right now, but when a real AAA title will come this end of year or 1Q2019, your 1080 is barely advanced enough. I don’t have proof. It is just my opninion based on the sometimes ‘nods’ people give in between some threads.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. If you have an 8K, then you will probably need to get the performance of at least the 1080 for the first months and when possible switch to a 1180/1180Ti as soon as your budget allows. And if you budget does not allow for all of that, then probably the sad truth is that there is no point in owning the 8K (well, you could stick to the 1080 but it will be a thorn in your flesh). To use Sweviver’s example, why buy a Porsche if you then will not be able to pay for the fuel (and the horrendous repair & maintenance bills).

That’s the reason why most of us don’t drive a Porsche, but a more modest car. Unfortunately the same will be true in smaller values with VR: if you can’t afford the entire package required to enjoy the 8K, you better settle for a decent PC and a Rift/Vive/Samsung.

2 Likes

Peice of string = so so long

I think a better analogy to the “porshe” is: why buy a house if you then can’t afford furniture :slight_smile: ?

Still though, it’s about return on investment. Some people here have bought a 1080or 1080ti for running the 8K… and by the time it actually releases we’ll likely have the next gen cards :smiley:

I really just hope I can run at least some of the more basic titles on the 1070 at the start so I can wait for a while longer till I upgrade.

Except that the furniture is more expensive than the house :wink:

My old Porsche just backfired at being called a “Porshe” :smiley:

2 Likes

Old is sounding nice. What year and model?

1 Like

Best car I ever had. 2004 Boxster S (986).
Sold it to live in Aus for 6 months.

Miss her so much. More than my PC.

2 Likes

Heh, that was a typo, sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I would rather keep my liquid oc 1080 and give Nvidia the middle finger when 1180Ti comes out, because in my estimations it will be only roughly 20-25% faster than the 1080Ti , not so much to give them your hard earned money…except if you have so much of it to use as toilet paper :grin:

And if enough people do the same, they will be pushed to pull out of their drawers the next architecture that they already have in sample for testing, but that they are keeping in because they feel no competition, but if VR people will make big voice, it will probably happen, and AMD has some interesting piece of silicon in the works too.

2 Likes

Same here, not looking forward to draining my 1080 for the little performance bump. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
Though, I spare no expense on toilet paper, gotta have the soft stuff :slight_smile: