Cable Extension?

Wow, okay so you do have a 10 Meter extension working with the Large FOV at 90Hz reliably?!?

Please post exactly which repeater and which cable you are using.

Thanks!!!

2 Likes

Yes, briefly tested 90Hz on 5K+ large FOV and 82Hz on 5K XR large FOV, with PP on/off, FFR on/off. I don’t normally play in large FOV and only just set it up, so haven’t tested long term.

Both cable & repeater linked in my post above, but I’ll repeat here for clarity:
https://www.grooves-inc.com/delock-delock-11464-displayport-pin-displayport-pin-black-cable-interface-gender-adapter-delock-hardware-electronic-pZZa1-2097988011.html

The price on the cable varies a lot, I got it for $170 for 10m. The repeater ships international if you’re in the US.

This is pricey, but the cheaper optical cable on Amazon did not work for me and neither did the Startech repeater, or any passive F/F couplers.

For non-optical extensions + Delock repeater, this one worked for me, which gets you to +15ft:

For fully passive, this extension worked for me for +6ft:

With a doggie leash setup for retractable cable management, I’m almost at the point of ditching my Vive Pro wireless.

2 Likes

and also works with the Index

1 Like

I can confirm that the PiMax 5K+ is working for me at 10 meters with this somewhat less expensive cable:

In combination with this DisplayPort Switch:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=302&cp_id=30202&cs_id=3020210&p_id=24568&seq=1&format=2

I obviously dont need the switching feature, but it seems to work fine as an active DisplayPort coupler.

There are occasionally sparkles that I see on black screens but rebooting usually clears them up. I’ve been running with the Large FOV and 90Hz for a week or so with minimal issues.

2 Likes

Just an update. I finally updated to the latest Pitool (144) and my 10m delock cable no longer works at 90hz full FOV. I can only use it at 64hz small FOV with the delock cable and even then it only sometimes works. I had to switch to the 10ft cable matters one that many others have linked and that works flawlessly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1K1KDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Are You sure it’s due to PiTool version? Did You try the previous version again?

I’m on .144 and using my 5m DeLock without issues while I was having lots of issues previously on older PiTool version. Or at least I thought it was the reason.

For me, it turned out to be enough to switch to another DP port on my graphics card (monitor and Pimax swapped).

1 Like

Thats odd. Im not sure a new PiTool version can affect this though. Also, a 10 meter extension cable is way above the limits of what DisplayPort can handle (no matter if its an active powered cable or not). Most DP extension cables are max 3 to 5 meters.
Its quite amazing you got it working in the first place. I would suggest you stick to a max 5 meter extension (which makes the cable 10 meters in total).

As a side note, using HP Reverb I cant even extend the DP cable with 3 meters :slight_smile: DisplayPort cables are very sensitive…

Pimax did say they would look into a 2-3m extension cable, did that ever happen ?

On 144 here too and the 10m optical cable I linked still works fine FWIW. I have actually exceeded that length with some combinations, so 10m DP extension can definitely work. But it may be at the edge of the spec or even beyond, so it depends on exact gear.

1 Like

I agree that the PiTool update is not directly at fault. It was my first time updating PiTool since getting the headset months ago. The only reason that I updated to 144 was to use my new Index controllers. I was of the mindset that things were working very well with the PiTool that I was on so I was hesitant to experiment with new versions. That said, being my first update, the headset also received a firmware update when I updated PiTool, so my theory is that the firmware update and the ability to change refresh rates did something that made the headset more sensitive to the very long cable.

Fortunately I found that the much shorter 10ft cable was just long enough to get where I needed it to go, so that ended up being the solution to me. I also agree that sticking to shorter lengths is better when at all possible, but it sounds like some of us have some very unique setups that makes this impossible. Hopefully there will be some more affordable solutions for people in that situation in the near future. Until then, it sounds like optical cables are the way to go in situations where an extremely long cable run cannot be avoided.

1 Like

Benefitting information from this topic I also have success with 5K+ and 10 m extension cables. Using the DeLock repeater, UGreen USB extension and premium displayport cable.

Displayport cable im using
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Optical-Fiber-Cables-Displayport-DP-1-4-8K-60Hz-4K-144-Hz-32-4Gbps-HDR-MOUSHOU/223551278289?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=522300945559&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Works perfetcly without any problems.

1 Like

Can confirm, I am also using a 10m fibre cable with a DP 1.2 repeater and it works fine with large FOV @90fps

1 Like

I just set my 5k+ up yesterday, but it’s working fine with an Anmck brand 15m dp 1.4 fiber optic cable from Aliexpress and dp coupler combined with a cable matters 10m active usb 3.0 cable from Amazon. I’m doing 90Hz large FOV.

1 Like

I can confirm that I bought these and it works flawlessly in large FOV et 90 hz!

YIWENTEC Cable DisplayPort DP 8K 4K DP 1,4 8K @ 60Hz

Liwinting 10 Mètres Rallonge Cordon d’alimentation DC 1.35mm x 3.5mm Mâle à Femelle DC Plug Rallonge Cordon, Adapté pour Appareils Photo, Adaptateur Secteur, Caméra IP sans Fil, et Plus - Noir

YOU NEED TWO OF THESE, ONE FOR THE REPEATER AND ONE FOR USB EXTENDER

UGREEN Câble Rallonge USB 3.0 Câble Extension USB Mâle vers Femelle avec Amplificateur et Câble Alimentation Compatible avec Manette de Jeu Webcam USB WiFi ClÊ USB Clavier Souris (10M)

DELOCK 11464 DisplayPort 1.2 repeater 4K 60Hz

https://www.reichelt.de/displayport-1-2-repeater-4k-60hz-delock-11464-p214634.html?&trstct=pos_0

2 Likes

I have a solution that works as well using the Delock coupler and fiber cable, but do get sparkles from time to time - usually after long sessions. Resetting the headset usually clears it up, but its kind of annoying.

I’d like go get my hands on the Pimax 10m cable…

1 Like

Dose or do the repeaters induce lag, latency ?

1 Like

I haven’t experienced any latency with it… if someone else could confirm?

2 Likes

There must be some delay, but I suspect it’s less than a ms and certainly less than a single frame. The fiber cables convert the electrical signal to optical and then back again, which must take some time. The signal booster/repeaters may be closer to fixed real time, but again if there is any delay it’s less than a human can detect.

2 Likes