Brainwarp 1.0 (featuring “Smart Smoothing" and "fixed foveated rendering")

The image shown was just an example. 2 views may still be used. Though there was a prototype hmd using 4 displays like the one in the image to achieve huge fov.

1 Like

With Amd have they made progress on Vega driver? It was in bad shape during last test.

Mvr is what StarVR One i believe is using to improve part of the lens distortion. Amd also has had this capability for sometime.

Like StarVR one a form of it can be implemented in tge hmd driver side. Not as good of course as direct support.

1 Like

@PimaxVR why can’t you use Motion Smoothing of SteamVR, and/or Oculus ASW?

great stuff. thanks for working on it.

Anything that helps us pump up the supersampling is devine, especialy when it’s a software update :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

It could be great for 4k users, but I don’t think that pimax team have some intentions to implement anything else for our device in future. I enjoyed a lot my 4k, but after a lot of promises to resolve issues like ghosting I do not trust this to happen. Personally I was interested to have brainwarp and motion smoothing too, but I know that it’s really improbable to happen.

If pimax doesn’t want to support 4k, why don’t they make 4k firmware and software open source?

I bought my 4k only a year ago and for that reason I’m thinking to buy a wmr device in future instead 5k/8k

2 Likes

The infiniteye HMD used 4 viewports to accomplish a better didtortion profile, and that was before Turing cards even existed, and wasn’t Nvidia proprietary. Nvidia had mentioned some of these features for Pascal GPUs and just never enabled them.

1 Like

Absolutely fantastic news, I can’t wait to beta test this on many games and hoping Vorpx becomes usable with this since it’s really needs it.

So @PimaxVR any ETA for this? One week, one month? Q1? Maybe any chance to see it working on CES with games like Fallout 4, The Forest or Project CARS 2?

This could be a complete game changer for Pimax 8k/5k, asking people to get a 1080ti minimum is simply not realistic.

8 Likes

@PimaxVR Any words on when the 5k color correction should come?

5 Likes

They have mentioned whay sounds like a v2 of the p4k. But brainwarp I believe needs dual panels.

I’m not sure about that. If I remember correctly, it’s only necessary an algorithm to control the display, but as I said I’m not 100% sure. But in any case, motion smoothing it can be possible on 4k too

I cannot comment on Pimax implementation, but what Motion Smoothing in SteamVR does is an extrapolation, not interpolation. The main difference is that TV can afford interpolation at the cost of additional latency, and I would imagine the algorithms to do that should be relatively primitive. On the other hand the extrapolation should take into the account the scene evolution and the tracking input and produce the extrapolated image (into the future).

5 Likes

I can tell you Philips, or TP-vision has done it so well, the input lag with interpolation on is hard to notice when gaming, around 50ms. That is casual gamepad gaming though and it’s maybe a different with competetive mouse+kb or VR gaming.

1 Like

Okay can we test the feature now?

1 Like

In last PiTool 95, I can see very big blur left and right edge easily in Fallout 4 vr, not sure they are testing 2 view port per eye or not, but lose much performance.

3 Likes

That is great news!

@Sean.Huang, for the “middle FPS mode”, I strongly suggest either 60 or 72 Hz. 60 is best for watching videos and 72 is best for watching movies which were originally recorded at 24 FPS.

My personal preference would be 72 Hz first, then 60, then 80. I seen no reason to implement 65 Hz at all.

7 Likes

@PimaxVR, in the Pimax Kickstarter marketing materials, Brainwarp is described as alternating between each eye:

Does that mean that Brainwarp will render 1 eye and use “motion smoothing” for the other eye (and on alternating frames use “motion smoothing” for the first eye and a full render for the other eye)?

Or does this announcement indicate that the original method had problems and a new technique was found?

I’m OK with either answer (as well as “it’s a company secret”), but Pimax did advertise the alternating eye approach.

The most important thing is that it offers an improvement in framerate with minimal artifacts.

6 Likes

Yes Im not sure why 65HZ would be one of the settings. I would prefer 60HZ for video as well

3 Likes