Biggest Fear : Pimax Software support

Hi, I’m new to the SteamVR scene so if I’m incorrect let me know!! :slight_smile:

Ok, so the Pimax headsets are ‘Brute Force’ solutions to the VR clarity problem. i.e. throw better panels with more pixels and a better pixel layout to fix (or reduce) issues with the 1st Gen headsets.

Don’t get me wrong, from the reviews, they’ve certainly hit on a good set of hardware that’s worth releasing.

BUT…

That Brute Force approach certainly requires a heightened software support so that the headset can deliver on a worthwhile experience. Current hardware just can’t keep up with that many pixels at a solid 90 frames / sec, not on some of the more demanding titles (ie. stuff that you need a PC for rather than an Oculus Quest, otherwise why would be bother :slight_smile: ). We’ll need those optimizations like ASW etc a lot more than a Rift would so that companies like Pimax can survive and we get software from developers to use (as theres a bigger market to buy those games making it worthwhile to do VR ports).

Now from what I understand, Pimax can’t use (and leverage) the SteamVR rendering control stack, stuff like the motion smoothing that came out recently. So all this has the be developed in house by Pimax?

How much effort is it to port that code into Pimax’s software stack? How open is stuff that Valve produces? (I’m coming from the Oculus camp which is a complete closed book).

While I don’t doubt that Pimax has some clever people, I’m guessing Valve and Oculus are the world leaders in this type of development.

My hope for the future VR development is that some of this becomes more modular. Stuff like lens distortion profiles / FOV / panel drivers, can be plugged into a common software pipeline that means minimal code input from hardware manufacturers. I think that’s the only way that this niche industry will ever progress, otherwise every manufacturer has to be another Oculus / Valve, good at hardware design / manufacturing / world class software development / support.

I’ve got faith (I’m in the pre-order group), I’m hoping just Pimax is up to the task to keep up on the software side, its what will make or break them (assuming they are able to put quality hardware in the hands of customers which seems the case so far, albeit slowly).

2 Likes

Pimax is not using steamvr solutions on their own will, meaning they will create all solutions themselves. Some kind of reprojection is already available in their render, but the most awaiting is ‘brainwarp’ technology which I hope will be released somewhere in 2019.

2 Likes