Best GPU for Pimax 8K VR?

Indeed dual 1080ti in sli might be great to a point; but your going to need a psu to match.

Where as Volta should require less power & offer the same or similar performance in 1 card opposed to dual.

2 Likes

Do you expect someone to answer this question here, before Volta has even been announced?

1 Like

I don’t know about that. I think mGPU in DX12 only supports 1 game, Ashes of Singularity. In DX11 you have limited SLI support but which engines/games even support it ? I think the list of games is extremely limited, only a handful. Unless some of the major engines start to support mGPU I think dual videocard is not really the way to go

1 Like

Depending on the exact specs 500W PS would be cutting it close for a 1080ti

Not sure on dx11 or 12. But games built with Unity 5.4+ & Unreal4 (not sure of version) game engines support mgpu sli & cf built in(also vr). That covers alot of games out there. Only game devs using engines outside these would need to know if game engine supports it. Wonder if cryengine has support?

To get an idea about power consumption (unless you can simply measure it on your setup) you can use PS calculators (just google “power supply calculator”). E.g.:
http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

https://seasonic.com/psu-calculator/

I did some evaluation recently for a new build with maxed out spec and 1080Ti and was comfortable with 650W PSU, so your mini-ITX may or may not cut it.

I don’t think that’s right. I’m pretty sure that mGPU (=DX12 and vulkan) is not support on any of those engines.

SLI en CF (=DX11) might be supported in some engines, not sure though, do you have any info on that ?

Heliosurge,

Here are the abbreviated specs of the GTX 1080 ITX and the GTX 1060 OC ITX 6Gb straight from the Gigabyte site:
Chipset
GeForce® GTX 1080 GeForce® GTX 1060
Core Clock
Boost: 1771 MHz/ Base: 1632 MHz in OC Mode Boost: 1746MHz/ Base: 1531 MHz in OC Mode
Boost: 1733 MHz/ Base: 1607 MHz in Gaming Mode Boost: 1708 MHz/ Base: 1506 MHz in Gaming Mode
(Reference Card Boost: 1733 MHz / Base: 1607 MHz)

Memory Clock
10010 MHz 8008 MHz

Memory Size
8 GB 6 GB

Memory Bus
256 bit 192 bit

Card Bus
PCI-E 3.0 x 16 PCI-E 3.0 x 16

Memory Type
GDDR5X GDDR5

DirectX
12 12
OpenGL
4.5 4.5
PCB Form
ATX ATX
Digital max resolution
7680x4320 7680x4320

Multi-view
4 4

Card size
H=37 L=169 W=131 mm H=37 L=169 W=131 mm

Power requirement
500W 400W

Obviously the 1080 is much faster than the 1060 and can run at much higher frame rates, has a 256 bit memory bus with better RAM and has many more transistors in its GPU (7,000,000,000) but the comparison in these specs lead you to think they are similar. The max clock for the 1060 is 1936 MHz according to advanced settings the Extreme Gaming Controller @ a GPU voltage of 1.24V.

Hence why I asked the question whether it could run the Pimax 5K

The most important metric to show the differences between them are the CUDA Cores:
1080: 2560
1060: 1280
and the 1080 Ti: 3584
The MHz only really matters when you compare the models with the same amount of cores (from the same generation)

1 Like

XabbuSwe,

You are probably right or why would anybody buy the bigger cards. I am certainly no expert but I was interested to note that both could run 7680 x 4320 (Display Port ??)

Like i said not sure on the dx12 but look up those engines & they support mgpu (cf/sli).

If you recall i posted a link on it awhile ago.

Thats max display resolution; not max recommended gaming resolution.

http://community.openmr.ai/t/amd-vega-crossfire-to-be-enabled-in-drivers-8k-pimax-useful/3048/6?u=heliosurge

Here is the link i posted before on those 2 game engines.

EDIT Actually it seems I was wrong here. Under DX11 I think that guy was right, because VR SLI seems to have been integrated under DX11 into Unreal engine and unity ! Unreal seems to support it since 4.16 !

EDIT 2 Hmm now I actuallly doubt that again … https://forum.unity.com/threads/is-there-any-update-on-supporting-vr-sli.452878/

EDIT 3 It DOES support it: Unity's Main Branch Now Supports NVIDIA VRWorks for Enhanced Rendering Features – Road to VR Unity as of version 2017.1.0b2 See also: VRWorks Support for Unity Now Available | NVIDIA Developer First official stable (non beta) Unity version that supports it is v2017.1 which was released in July

1 Like

Yeah its often hard to get straight answers on thus stuff. Though unity & unreal listed as partners or something to pimax.

Yes, I stand corrected, SLI config seems interesting. The only possible problem I see is that games might move onto DX12/Vulkan and there multi GPU support is still pretty non existent among the game engines. Who knows when this will change … It sure is a risk.

Presumably there’s a difference in GPU requirement in an incremental sliding scale?

1. Watching a 4K Netflix movie. (non interactive).
  2. 3D 180/360 SBS video playing in 4K.
  3. High quality VR PC game with 6DOF at 90fps per eye.

Am I correct in thinking only 1) is currently possible GPU wise? Or is 2) possible even now, as a 3D SBS 180/360 movie isn’t at the same FPS as a PC game? Thanks.

Risa2000,

No I agree not enough to run a GTX 1080 Ti but enough to run the 1080 mini-ITX or the 1070 ITX. If I go for the Ti I will need to get a new box and power supply probably along the lines that Heliosurge is recommending.

Heliosurge,

Thank you for the recommendations the Node 202 sounds good.

I also note that display res does not equal game res. The whole thing is a little confusing and requires in practice checking (but that only occurs after you buy the card) with your software and that varies from motherboard to motherboard and driver to driver.

Many thanks for your help

1 Like

It may be better to see what comes from the Nvidia next year, if you can wait :wink:
They will release the new Volta series of GPU’s, sadly no one knows when.

1 Like