Best games for 8KX?

I have much more than 10 VR titles but will list the 10 I am playing most atm.

ALYX -the current VR standard. Lots of community content.
CONTRACTORS - great shooter. Best firearm handling.
DCS -the reason I bought VR. uber sim.
IL2 - fills out my hanger. Especially love WW1 aircraft.
DIRT RALLY2 -favorite racer. Physics are sublime.
ASSETTO CORSA -for the rest of my racing fix.
IN DEATH - super bow shooter.
RUSH -who doesn’t want to fly down a mountain side in a wingsuit? What a rush.
DOWNSTREAM -kayaking the rapids. Really good water physics.
THE GOLF CLUB VR -bunker play more like chipping but the rest is close to RL golf.

10 Likes

wow you are a man of extremes.

2 Likes

Mongo like go fast…kill things :grinning:

3 Likes

Ok here we go. Opinion Time. I think while HLA is good and sets the AAA high bar for presentation and polish Its not as great as you make it seem. Hear me out… again OPINION ALERT

Not really. The way this game was designed it seems that each tiny area was developed by a separate team, because of this the levels feel far more linear and bite sized as compared to standard Half life where you could literally get lost for a bit. And each section feels a bit like a closed area.

When I first started HLA i was scared that I only had two pockets to hold things. But the more I played I realized not to worry because in each area(gameplay hubs) everything you need to survive is right there to survive and refill your health and ammo for the next one.

If there’s an encounter you may get to near death but there will always be one of those health machines in the same area. ( and only one) and if you see one of these I guarantee you there is a worm battery very close by ( and only one).

Again no, due to the Room Escape design approach I mentioned earlier, everything you need to “get over there” is usually within eyesight. Like oh there’s a locked door with a zombie behind it and a mail slot (which may as well have a place grenade here sign pointing at it) , maybe I need to through grenades in there (i’m making this up as to avoid spoilers), if only I had some. (turns 90 degrees .oh how convenient I’m standing right in front of a grenade dispenser in a subway ? what? :smiley: how convenient.

Where to start with this one. I was a little let down by this to be honest. I’ve always felt that the finger tracking on the index was a little gimmicky. But HL-A did nothing to sway this opinion. The only thing you can do with the index is crush cans and accidently squeeze grenades exploding your crotch in the process. I have played this with touch controllers and will say I actually prefer the way those feel . (especially since I have mamut grips, copying the knuckle controllers BEST feature)

Other than that there are some odd design decisions that I guess are ok, but kind of immersion breaking. The following arent that big of a deal as a modder could probably change it.

The way that you constantly have to pick up resin and through it over your shoulder. Pretty annoying/tiring after a while I would have preferred putting them to the waist as if I had a fanny pack. (Like Asgard’s Wrath)

Ove shoulder should be reserved for big guns and pistols should be on your hips like every other VR game. The menu system is usable for sure but I prefer the realness of sticking things to my body. Like grenades off of the chest.

I also don’t like how you cant use both hands anytime you want. Seems like a cardinal sin.

mmmmm I would say that was Asgard’s Wrath. That game blows me away i’m 60 hours in and no end in sight. I love the sound track to and have added it to my collection in spotify right next to Baldur’s Gate and Diablo OST and Streets of Rage etc:) The game has so many facets no part feels unpolished. Its clear that at least these guys worked on this game as if they were making a AAA title and were paid to do so. Walking Dead S & S also has AAA written all over it.

Anyway…that’s just like my opinion man. HLA is still one of the best games in VR, top 5 for sure, but I don’t think it’s undisputed champion.

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven’t tried it. TBH, I don’t think it’s the sort of game I’d enjoy. It reminds me a bit of Hellblade, which I tried, but never really got into it. Too much hack and slash. I generally prefer exploration to fighting, but I’m probably in the minority.

for me it was Lone Echo :slight_smile:

3 Likes

DL’ing Star Wars Squadrons.
I’m not sure that my Nvidia 1080 can handle it on the 8KX but I’m gonna give it a try! I can’t wait till the AMD graphics cards are available and there’s a good supply of the Nvidia cards. And then I’ll be able to make a choice about which card to move to from the 1080. In the meantime I’m hoping squadrons looks good and plays better!

1 Like

Best game for my 8kx because it is the only game is “waiting for shipping”

1 Like

Haha, yes!

Pimax, thank you for the most interesting game for me this year called “Waiting for 8KX Delivery” :beer: :partying_face: :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Yeah, I think Alex makes quite a few design errors. It feels weird why can’t I drop my pistol or switch hands, why is it glued to my hand? This has already been fixed in most other VR shooters.

Anyway, for me handsdown the best VR game is heavily modded Skyrim. It looks the best, is most immersive, and easily has the biggest scope.

4 Likes

Not really game but the biggest improvement/wow I have so far is:
Space engine
Also watching videos (VR and 2D on virtual screen).

Problem with games is that you are usually moving and on moving scene the resolution difference is somewhat diminished (the faster you move the less you perceive the resolution). Also you tend to focus on other things (like driving, dodging/shooting enemies etc.) so there is less time to enjoy scenery.

3 Likes

Robo Recall, HL Alyx, Star Wars Squadrons, Gloomy Eyes, Henry, La Camila, Raw Data, Beat Saber, Moss, Stormland, Paper Beast, A Fisherman’s Tale, Vader Immortal, Tetris Effect, Lucky’s Tale, The Blu, Hellsplit Arena, The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets, Google Earth, The Crow, Farlands, Dear Angelica, The Rose and I, Racket RX.

8 Likes

So after receiving BS and controllers, I gave a try to lab and the archery there is surprisingly good fun. Even without the weight of bow the sheer volume of fire tires the arm considerably.
Hellsplit arena is also good, I am looking forward to moving so I have bigger space for it.

Just managed to redeem Alyx, downloading as I write.

5 Likes

So what do you think?

people really sleeping on orbus vr. Its been updated constantly and I think its one of the best vr games available now. Its an MMO too.

1 Like

Keeping Both Eyes Aligned :tm: (hardest game I’ve ever played)
No Man’s Sky
Star Wars: Squadrons
Half Life: Alyx
Blade & Sorcery + Star Wars Outer Rim mods
DCS World
Elite Dangerous (I remember when this was number one, sigh…)
VTOL VR
Assetto Corsa
Seeking Dawn
Skyrim
Onward
Aircar
Gorn
Superhot

2 Likes

Perhaps it would also be useful to have best games for lower graphics cards and ones that require higher end graphics for a great experience. For NMS for example you need great hardware but Superhot lesser hardware is ok.

Here is an odd title to add to the mix. Vivecraft - for some reason this gives me probably the best sense of presence.

1 Like

Does Dirt Rally2 have native VR support? Thinking about diving in now we have clarity

2 Likes

Yes, Dirt Rally 2 is awesome in VR.

Another one for the list, Pavlov.

4 Likes

+1 for DR2.0 its great in VR. But another one nobody has mentioned here is Rfactor2 if you like driving sims. This is a circuit racing sim but has excellent VR support (I actually think it’s the best VR support of all racing sims on Pimax) - If youve never played it before opt in to the New UI beta on Steam as the old one is ugly and confusing for new players.

5 Likes