Bad graphics while playing Dirt 2.0

The game brings up an error box and exits.

You might also be able to try -Novr

1 Like

this game has a very bad support in VR , i used vivepro and 5k xr to play it , the same issue has been included, very hgih GPU usage and bad graphics .
another thing is , you must shut down the steamVR before you start the Dirt 2.0

1 Like

Yeah, the worst thing (for me) is all the tiny unreadable text. The graphics are pretty, but overall this game needs some work, to improve the VR experience.

My preferred driving game at this point is Assetto Corsa. (I tried the Project Cars 2 demo, but decided not to buy the full game.)

2 Likes

So it’s just bad optimization and have to wait for patches?

1 Like

I’m not sure I’d call it “optimization”. It seemed to be slightly better when I used Small FOV. I think the game may have trouble calculating the text size for a wide aspect ratio. This is made worse by the 8K “rainbow” G/RB subpixel pattern. I think it would probably be OK on an 8KX, so I will likely play it more in a year or so, after I upgrade my HMD.

I did play it a bit on my 4K flat monitor and it was quite pretty, but (personally) I think it’s not a great experience in VR at this point.

In particular, I think driving games in general suffer when the resolution is low, since you are always staring at the far distance. It’s much crisper on my monitor and no amount of VR super-sampling can match that.

3 Likes

For me this game use only 50% of gpu power and can’t give me even 72fps. If I get lower by steam super sampling, or pi tool render quality then it use even less power of gpu, like 20-30%. And I thought latest pitool beta driver push it to 100%. Need to try in other games.
Hellblade is using gpu all it needs. I found in dirt2 that I need to make higher settings, give some MSA and the it use gpu like 80%, but still between 36-72. Why I cant get ugly graphics with 90+ fps?

It sounds like there’s some sort of bottleneck, which is preventing the GPU from getting sufficient data to run flat-out. Try this tool: UserBenchmark: PC Speed Test Tool - Compare Your PC which is free and helpful.

If something is too slow, click on the associated ? in a circle icon in the summery web-page.

2 Likes

Hi guys , last 2 days I did some testing with fpsVR and finalized my settings Today.

My settings are : Pitool 1.25 , FFR on (balanced) steamvr 80 or 90% which gave me ~3750x3350 per eye, saturation +1, brighness -1, normal fov , 72 Hz
In game: ultra everything, exept shadow low, oclusion low, crowd medium, mirror medium, AA = CCMS, 16x textures filtering,
My average fps is around 68 , most time constant 72.
No problem with text with this res. everything is sharp and clear like in Assetto Corsa
Love this game , the best graphic among all sim racing VR supported tittles and all my telemetry devices are supported and works .
( gametrix, power wind, fanatec wheel with club sport v3 and 2 dof montion)

My spec : Strix 2080ti OC, i7 8700k, ddr4 3200hz, gpu utilization around 85~90%, cpu dips sometimes up to 14 ms.

6 Likes

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19410838#GRAPHICS_CARD
This test says that gpu gives lower than expected, but I think it’s still high enough.

You said you had a 1080Ti (far above), which you’ve probably had for at least a year or two. It might be thermally throttled. You should check your GPU and case fans, as well as the case vents, and clear out any accumulated dust.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure all versions of PiTool prior to 180 (if not including 180) are proof enough that getting 50% GPU usage in a game is not due to dust in your case fans…

Then I’m not sure what to suggest. Something appears to be bottlenecking your system.

1 Like

This game taxing my cpu (8700k) a lot , so meybe there is your problem…

2 Likes

To the OP and those with framerate issues. I have been testing each setting in the hardware settings file and recording it’s effect graphically and in terms of framerate impact. I’ve done the same with Nvidia control panel settings (those which impact VR) and pitool. There are certain settings which tank frames and don’t provide much in the way of graphics similarly to the OG Dirt game. I have also determined if suffering from CPU frame spikes due to the well reported USB polling issue, this can be successfully mitigated (without removing the input device!) by setting permissions of the exe file to administrator, it’s not completely eradicated but it no longer spikes so harshly or anywhere near as often.

I am currently finalising testing and will write up a settings guide like the first game to try help everyone with a Pimax headset get the most from this game. So far my progress in a nutshell: significantly better graphics than Dirt Rally 1.0 and still very playable using 90hz and smart smoothing with very minimal artifacts, text overlays readable and clear, if a little on the small side. Typical GPU usage 75-90%. Typical CPU usage 20-30% without a single thread above 60%.

4 Likes

I did a bit of Dirt 2.0 Racing the last couple of days.
I used to play Normal FOV the whole time, changed it to Large tonight - damn the sensation of speed just gets a lot better! Haven’t given Large much attention lately, but in race games especially Dirt 2 its really worth it to get even more speed sensation.
What are you all experiencing?

2 Likes

My experience is minimal. I have given up Dirt Rally 2 for the time being, due to unreadable (too small) text on my 8K. My plan is to try again and play it next year, once I have a 8KX.

The question is , what looks better , constant 72hz +FFR on vs 90hz/45hz+ SM ?
personalny I hate ghosting effect but also know that most ppl dont have RTX2080/TI to play with FFR

1 Like

@neal_white_iii, you mean the text in the Menüs? It’s seeems quite good for me, not sure if it is settings or the 5k panel…

2 Likes

Yes, some of the menu / UI text is unreadably small. It might be that it’s more blurry on my 8K vs your 5K+. I tried increasing the super-sampling very high, but the text was still unreadable.

1 Like