Backer 8KX initial thoughts

So I have been using my 8KX for a few days, my initial thoughts…:(just don’t have the time to write a long review)
Please note that this is all purely personal, ‘your’ mileage may vary:

The Good: - Great clarity, and less lens distortion then my 5K+, certainly the best that I have seen in VR, although for me it is still not as good as it could be due to my low IPD (60mm).

Not So Good: - Sound is not good and as they only sent me the thin foam face interface it is just too big for my head with uneven pressure points (the whole thing wobbled on my head ) - see image below were it sat on my head with terrible light bleed from the sides. Gave up and swapped it out for my Vive/VR cover setup which was much much better as it wraps around my head - pressure more even + better sound.

The above setup is working quite fine for me. Will I keep it long term ? Undecided at this time.

16 Likes

Hello,

Thank you so much for the short review.

This will allow us to focus on these issues and have some improvements future.

The thin foam is quite tricky for every user, some reported is good to use, while some have the opposite effect.

Somehow, it’s good to hear the honest message from you.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

9 Likes

thanks for feedback, if you have time please answer these questions:

1. how is mura?
  2. how is sweetspot compared to your 5k+? Do you have both eyes focus at once issue? When you look aside how quickly does clarity degradate? If you tilt, move around HMD is side clarity gets better as same as in 5k+ or you can’t adjust HMD to have sharp image on the lenses sides?
  3. what’s about colours vibrancy, blacks & contrast, any difference between 5k+ & X? Any other HMDs you have/had?

@Teigue if the mura is identical to the 8k +, I can tell you that on my 1200 dollar monitor it’s more then 100 times more.

For me mura also is not distracting I used to it as used a lot of HMDs, although when I first time enabled Vive Pro it was afwul & too way prominent but once they updated firmware in 5 mins after enabling it was gone.

I didn’t try 8k+ & don’t have noticable or at least distracting mura on 5k+ & XR, probably on X in naitive it’s more prominent coz on scaled image it can be more soft

the only mura on an HMD, I’ve only seen it in the Reverb G1.

1 Like

on CV1 was a lot of MURA, I didn’t try reberb though, but almost ever OLED hmd has it, nowadays they do great work by software calibration on factory side.
If you have black loading game screen on Quest I bet you will see it if you will look for it, but it’s really tine & not visible in games

1 Like

I also think it’s often overrated.

i had the 8kplus,but the mura was very distracting on white backgrounds,it took me out off the immersion…

Mura or Screendoor artifacts?
How many white backgrounds do you encounter for how long while playing ?

Hello there,it was mura…

ingame let say i played contractors with a white sky it was very prominent and distracting…If you see it once,you will notice it forever…

i have never seen things like this in my 8k+

mura

this is not nice

4 Likes

I also notice mura with the 8kX, particularly when reading texts via VirtualDesktop, but also e.g. against the light cloudy sky in the Pimax Experience. But in games I usually don‘t see it, because the colors aren‘t bright enough. I still hope they can do something about it, we‘ll see.

3 Likes

It looks different on 8kX, more fine grained. And only visible against very bright backgrounds. (It is not like SDE though, more a random pattern and not color dot vs black but white dot vs almost white dot)

4 Likes

Thats why i also ordered a reverb g2 so i compare the brightness and colors with the pimax 8kx,this is for me a very important factor in a vr headset

2 Likes

I meant the choice of less bright colors in most games, not so much the headset colors, which are imho ok (with room in both directions, as expected for an lcd)

1 Like

what is that a picture of?

an older LCD Screen… for video projectors

its a pitty i dont have the old 8kplus anymore,then i could take a picture about the bad mura,maybe they could fix it still??

don’t scare me like that, I thought that was the 8kX. :scream:

2 Likes