Backer 8KX initial thoughts

I had Mura with CV1, and very very very bad mura with Reverb. Bad mura is much much worse than screen door effect to me

1 Like

I used ‘Virual desktop’ and Half-Life Alyx for my comments:
Mura: I cannot see any mura at all.
Sweetspot: There is a sweetspot, but the transition is smaller compared to the 5K+ so overall the image quality is better over the full lens (better distortion profile maybe?), asked my son for his opinion and he agrees.
When I move my head around obviously the sweet spot moves, but you really only notice it on apps like Virtual desktop, Alex looks even except for some small distortion at the edges.
Colors etc: For a LCD panel the colours look pretty good with passable blacks - no big difference over the 5K+ but more pixel’s do help. I also own a Oculus DK2, CV1, Pimax 4K and Pimax 5K+. Even with a not ideal IPD, the more I use the 8KX the more I like it - really am loving the clarity compared to my 5K+.

9 Likes

@Wmacky:
The mura I see in the 8KX is rather subtle, and the SDE of e.g. the Index is way more distracting to me.

As I use the X more, the extra weight is taking its toll around my upper nose area. It becomes quite painful after a while - I can see why many have added counterweights. Obviously more work needed to sort this out.

2 Likes

Think of it as Pimax making your face VR ready :innocent:, sounds much better.
Maybe they could start a rhinoplasty side business.

So I have come up with a solution which works similar to the OEM where the headset is limited in movement which stops it pushing down on your nose/face.
Basically a small hole is drilled and a screw/nut inserted to lock it in the correct place, stopping the headset dropping down onto the nose/face. All the weight of the headset is now supported by the headband.

3 Likes

I don’t have a big nose - so it would have to be a radical rhinoplasty (total removal) :-).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.