Backer #441: Initial 8K-X impressions (Milopapa)

WOW thank you very much for this first impressions! Your enthusiasm is contagious and that is what we all need at the moment!
This is a long text for the first impressions. It is from the lenght more like a review, so i am very interested how long the review gets :wink: The more details and words the better :slight_smile:
You got me also very excited!!!
Enjoy your X!!!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the kind words - I’ll keep testing and sharing my impressions.

Latest one: levels look very similar to 5k+ in Alyx, which weren’t the best unfortunately. More gray than black - although I kept contrast at 0 for now. I’ll try later with adjusted contrast.

Also, I’m now trying to find the right supersampling values for IL-2… looks like 3000px won’t work for 75fps… it’s more like 2600. I’m just removing all mods to see how it works with vanilla. Already I can tell you that spotting is a lot easier now!

11 Likes

Best most details impression and easy to understand so far on 8KX. Can you watch some movies on Bigscreen and see how it go?

3 Likes

I did and I have to say, the clarity is stunning.

I could only get Whirligig to work (never used Bigscreen before and it was complaining about codecs), and even there I need to work on the black levels as while the background was pitch black, the video black levels were off - kinda like when you have the HDMI black levels set incorrectly on a TV.

Anyway, I was blown away by the clarity of the picture. 1080p content was not early enough to drive this screen, I had to pull out 4K sources for it to really shine (Dunkirk, 1917, Ghost in the shell and Planet Earth II was at hand). I have a 4K projector at home and I have to say, the picture looked very similar (minus the fact I was wearing a headset on my face and some glare due to the lenses). I need to spend more time with the colors as increasing contrast in the player just crushed blacks.

Anyone know how to adjust black levels in Whirligig? Or have a good player recommendation for playing 4K UHD mkv files?

More testing to come.

16 Likes

I generally use Simple VR Video Player. Iirc, I had trouble with 1917, so I used VLC Media Player and Virtual Desktop instead.

2 Likes

Virtual Desktop + MPCHC + MadVr + SVP
or
VorpX + MPCHC + SVP (best combo)

4 Likes

I have only used Skybox VR Video Player.

2 Likes

Nice. I also use Whirligig and have a home theater and also lots of 4K movies…so i am looking forward to watching and see how stunning they look in VR.

1 Like

Thank you very much for those movie impressions Milo. This is the one aspect of the headset that I was waiting to hear about. Glad to know movies look very clear. Really excited to watch anime on my 8K-X. Can you give some impressions on anime? You mentioned you checked out Ghost in the Shell…was that the original 1995 anime or were you referring to the live action ScarJo film?

I really would love to hear how anime such as Akira, Macross Plus and other spectacular anime films look on this thing.

2 Likes

lol I never thought the solution to anti aliasing could be to just tilt your head

2 Likes

Pimax forum users blowing things out of perspective? No…we would never …

i mean , sometimes our perspective can be a little distorted …

2 Likes

It only works in VR. :pi_thumbsup: Flat screens just show tilted jaggies.

3 Likes

you know what also works. crossing your eyes slightly to reduce sde.

(may decrease sharpness)

4 Likes

this methode is also nice to imagine more fov :joy:

If you get low fps just blink constantly

2 Likes

I only have the original GitS in 720p format, so I didn’t try but I’ll take a look. I don’t have any Anime I’m afraid… I could try some animated movies though, I have plenty of those with 3 kids!

1 Like

lol Blink Omg GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

3 Likes

why are you afraid of Anime? is it the tentacles?

2 Likes

Maybe there is something to that aspect of the recently unearthed (Valve) patent application about rotated screens, after all… :7

3 Likes

@Milopapa
could not agree more. absolutely best way to go for 2D movies. takes a bit of config though.

cyberlink is a more out of the box solution (including good sharpening and motion smoothing) and comes at least close, but has a mean prictag.
Check a trial or a „try before buy“

deo vr came a long way with mighty options, but there is a very noticable difference using applications for 2D that were intended for 3D (same with whirligig, simple player). Not exactly sure why this is the case but it feels like half of the resolution. Maybe because SBS based players basically cut the picture in half instead of doubling it even in 2d mode, but that‘s just a gut hunch.

2 Likes