Backed 8k, can I switch to 5k BE?

That sounds reasonable, but is it official? Has Pimax stated this anywhere?

I swapped down to the 5K+ and asked if the $100 voucher could be used to change my 1 base station pledge (75+10postage) to the full $300 base station and controller pack.
I would need to add $115 and was told they had no way of accepting additonal money and the exchange was not allowed.

@anon74848233 @deletedpimaxrep1 @Pimax-Support
Any chance to have more Info about the 5kBE?
I really would like to consider your offer and pay extra but so little is known about the device. When do you intend to send it to testers? I’m backer ~4700, how long can I wait to send back the survey? Is it likely to have conclusive Info during that timeframe in order to consider changing to the BE?

7 Likes

Also received my email. Leaning towards 5k+ would love more info on 5k+BE

1 Like

Yes you can~but please contact this problem via service desk.
Please contact our support team via service desk, they are handle this and will respond very quickly.

The service desk link : http://feedback.pimaxvr.com/

1 Like

Ah, just found the reference regarding the price for upgrading to 5K BE:

It is pointless trying [http://feedback.pimaxvr.com/ it times out

Thx, I did. Let’s see if they are able to provide any information regarding my questions

I was leaning toward the 5k BE based on the single review I could find of it. When I wrote to Pimax inquiring about the price, I was informed that it was $100 more than the 8k, but when I clicked on the link, it said “We have a surprise for you,” and I was charged $1. I felt pretty good about that, but I also asked about the resolution of the 5k BE because that is important to me, and the “information” I got was worthless. It boiled down to “Since all our products are excellent, we cannot provide any recommendation.”

Anway, I decided to roll the dice, but then I saw another link from someone who provided a straight answer from Pimax today that leads me to believe I made a mistake. Check this out: https://forum.pimaxvr/t/about-pimax-business-versions-and-models-for-the-upcoming-pre-order/9462

That leaves me with a much different impression than the article about the Pimax 5k being an underdog turned wolf, which had some favorable things to say about the 5k BE, although the person who wrote the article had only a very brief time with the BE.

The problem is that there are NO reviews posted by Pimax about the 5k BE at all. I’d at least like to see some comparison photos of gauges like they have for the 5k Plus and the 8k.

Has anyone else switched to the 5k BE? As much as I’d like brighter colors and more contrast, I’m nervous about going with a completely unknown quantity. Has anyone been able to compare the 5k BE to the other headsets?

1 Like

When I tried it out I personally did not enjoy it.
Good: awesome colors as expected
Bad: Very high screen door effect, very weird pixel pattern that accentuates the screen door effect.
That’s pretty much the main takeaways I had from trying the BE in skyrim and elite dangerous
I don’t personally recommend it over either the 5k or 8k

2 Likes

Oh, the BE isn’t RGB stripe? Screw that. I’m sick of Pentile and all its cousins ruining displays.

4 Likes

Link doesn’t work.Any chance you could repost please?

The BE is using the same Samsung phone panels as the 3Glasses S1

Here’s the link again. Sorry it didn’t work the first time – and sorry I took so long to reply.
https://community.openmr.ai/t/about-pimax-business-versions-and-models-for-the-upcoming-pre-order/9462

“whatever”? Also a Pimax headset".
In future (next Pimax generation), but also for this uprade in this topic?

Pimax does not want to answer this question.
Perhaps, they do not want to say something unpleasant to someone.
A expert said in a documentary (bublic broadcasting TV), If you ask for directions in China, it can happen that you knowingly get told the wrong way.
Why? Because he does not want to tell you that he does not know the way.
Not knowing something can be embarrassing for a Chinese.
Sorry Pimax stuff :slight_smile: .
If it is absolutely not possible (not to make possible) to use the $100 coupon (stretch goal) to upgrade from 8K to 5K BE, please make a clear negative statement.
But it would be very good PR, if that were possible. Thank you.

I asked in a support e-mail, Pimax ignores this question.
Never ask multiple things at once.
They do not answer the unpleasant things (strange, same thing on ebay).
But formally, they have “responded” to your request.

There was a time when I decided that I was going to “upgrade” from an 8k to a BE. (I later changed my mind and “downgraded” back to the 8k.) I was told it would cost $100 more to switch to the BE. However, when I clicked on the link, I message appeared that said, “We have a surprise for you.” The surprise was that the upgrade cost $1, not $100. I don’t know if they’re still doing that, but it’s worth checking out if you’re leaning that direction. (I didn’t get the buck back when I switched back to the 8k, but I’m not losing any sleep over it.)

OK, i did it.
Let’s hope it works. Thanks!.. if this is real. If not, give my my dollar back :slight_smile: .
But how should Pimax know, that my newly registered account belongs to my backer number?

I don’t think the fact that the upgrade page gives increments in $1 means that pimax only wants you to pay $1. When I upgraded to the BE on one of my headsets, I took it to mean that I needed to put a qty of 100 for a total of $100, not that they suddenly changed their minds and decided to charge me less.

This was behind the link in my “We are about to ship your Pimax Kickstarter reward!” email.
The only link in this email. If not, for what the “$1”?

I’m not saying it’s not to pay the difference, I’m saying you need to increase the qty to equal the difference in price, so if you’re upgrading to the 5K BE it would be a qty of 100, which would equate to $100 additional that you’re paying.