Attaching A Boom Microphone For Voice Attack For Better Speech Recognition

Hi folks,
It is my understanding that on the pimax headset there are two headphone jacks. One on each side of the headset where the strap attaches to the headset. Is it possible to plug a boom mic into one of those jacks? I know that the headset has a built in mic but Voice Attack sometimes cant understand me so I was thinking a boom mic might provide more clarity. Wanted to know if that was possible before I buy a boom mic as they are a little pricey.

Boom mic needs an input.

The headphone jacks are outputs.

3 Likes

You’re probably better off using a ModMic, I guess… :wink:

They’re used by lots of YouTubers when recording VR gaming content.

3 Likes

Welcome to the OpenMR forum!

Only the vision 8k+ and 8kX have dual headphone Jacks. The other non vision headsets have a single jack. Being an owner of the original p4k headset it had dual head phone jacks with 3 band headphone jack on each side. While either would support stereo output. I tested a phone wired headset and no mic support

3 Likes

Did you use the microsoft voice training program multiple times? The more times you go through the training program the better Voice Attack will understand you. If you haven’t gone through it at least 4 or 5 times then I would try that before spending money on another mic.

5 Likes

When I used VoiceAttack I was using it with the Pimax 5K+ mic without issues, but as @acegamer says it took a while to get it right. Remember to actually use the Pimax 5K+ mic when training also (just show the desktop in SteamVR and read it out loud)… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I forgot to say that I have the 8K+. Currently using one of the jacks for the heaphones on my Vive deluxe audio headstrap. So I have the other jack on the other side still available. Wondering if I can plug a mic into it and make it work.

I have not done the microsoft voice training yet. I have been using voice attack for some time and sometimes it works great… other times not so much so… maybe I’ll run through the training first.

Oh yes, you definitely need to do the microsoft voice training. It will make a world of difference in how well voice attack understands you. Make sure to do it at least 4 times. The more the better.

Not likely try a cheap dollar store mic with ear phones for a cell phone. As mentioned tried it on the old pimax 4k. Spec wise it says both headphone jacks is for headphone audio.

Thanks guys… one more question… how do I get the Microsoft voice recognition training activity to show up in Steam VR?

I don’t recommend replacing the Pimax 5k+/8kX or similar microphone. Certainly not for speech recognition or communication with other players.

Like most microphones, its frequency response is reasonably close to flat, it is reasonably well positioned, and it does not have ‘breath’ problems like the Vive did. Microphones are generally easy to design adequately, unlike speakers, and quality specimens have been around probably since the dawn of radio.

If you have speech recognition problems with VoiceAttack, software issues, or poor choice of command verbiage, is more likely. Like others have recommended, run through the training a few times - though MSW offline speech recognition seems to improve with any usage anyway. Also maybe try adjusting the microphone volume/gain settings.

If you do not already have a complete VoiceAttack profile that you are happy with, try these. The command verbiage was carefully chosen to minimize recognition conflicts with any future situation that might arise. To use them, you might need to clone the repository to ‘C:\core\infrastructure\extendedInterface’ , as the profiles reference such things as sound files installed to that location.

2 Likes

Just use the desktop view on the SteamVR dashboard to view the desktop.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.