Artifacts using DFR on 8KX with RTX3090

I’m extremely happy with the 8KX/3090 pairing so far, at those superhigh resolutions the big Ampere chip really hits its stride.

When enabling DFR, however, I notice horizontal grey lines rendered within the part of the image that is meant to be rendered at a lower resolution. Considering the small sweetspot of the 8KX, it’s actually a perfect match for DFR as moving the eyes outside the very center isn’t happening anyways.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon and found a solution?

This is with whatever PiTool version came prepackaged with PE and the most recent WHQL nVidia drivers.

5 Likes

Hmm thats interesting. I have yet to try DFR with my 3090. Which 3090 do you have?

3 Likes

Gigabyte Gaming OC with an excellent chip binning.

3 Likes

My EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming coming in 2 days.

2 Likes

Where did you get it? I’m jealous. That was the card I originally wanted but ended up getting an MSI Trio because it was more available at the time. Although I do already achieve 2040Mhz with my 3090 so it probably wont be much better with FTW3 Ultra unless I had a better motherboard.

Motherboard has nothing to do in regard to OC’ing a GFX card :wink:

2 Likes

The frequency under full load is considerably more dependant on chip binning than anything else with Ampere.

In many cases you can get higher clocks/performance by actually lowering the Power Target because the chip is already so far beyond its sweetspot.

On my RTX3090 Gaming OC (which accidentally has a top binned chip) I get stable 2.150 MHz when running my Index and a PowerTarget of 90% as it only taxes about 80% of the GPU.

On my 8KX I get around 1.9050-2.050 MHz at 100% load with a PT of 95%.

3 Likes

I get higher and much more stable clocks with 480 watt on the Rog Strix OC.

2 Likes

Yes because the Strix uses top binned chips AND provides higher power.

How high are your clocks under full load?

1 Like

DFR requires Eye tracking though, right?

1 Like

I’ll have a check later.

Yes, but so get the same artifacts using FFR as well.

1 Like

I got it from EVGA’s queue system. I signed up to be notified on the 24th (released day) @ around 1pm PST. They’re sending out special email link so you can purchase it without dealing with freaking bots. So, it really depends on when you signed up to be notified, the earlier the better. There are more people ahead of me and got their cards because they signed up at opening day 8am. I was glad I signed up. No other company does this for their customers. This is just for US customers though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.