Are you going to get the 8K+ or wait for the 8K X?

Sounds very promising. Could we see some footage of the wireless solution? Mentioned previously:0)

1 Like

I ordered the 8kx with deluxe headphones. I’m looking forward to that.

1 Like

I have ordered comfort kit and additional MAS with the BF discount already to make the 8K sellable. But based on the latest news and delay, I’ll wait and see how they extend the upgrade deadline and depending on that will opt for going from my 8K to 8KX early 2020.

1 Like

8K X for sure. It includes an 8K+.

5 Likes

True, but you’re paying $300 more for slightly better resolution and reduced refresh rate. If I have to manually exit each game I’m playing to switch between 90Hz upscaled mode and 75Hz native mode, that would be annoying. Plus you’ll need a lot more performance out of your GPU for the native mode.

Both. First I will go for the sure, the 8K+ and wireless, extended cable, less price and January.

And then in April, I will sell the 8K+ (I sell very quickly the 8K) and buy the 8Kx when I have confirmation that all is working perfectly.

1 Like

Respectfully, it’s well worth the $300 premium to me.

1. It’s not slightly better res; it’s 1.5x the res, both x & y. That’s 3.7 m pixels vs 8.3 m pixels, which is more than double the pixels. That is very important in certain games, like cockpit game, where you need to read gauges and see faraway details.
  2. I’ll probably leave it in native mode all the time.
  3. Native mode apparently needs less GPU, not more. Less super-sampling is needed for native mode (since it’s clearer, you don’t high levels of SS to look good) and it’s running at 75, not 90 fps.
3 Likes

Ugh, I’m so torn now. I don’t wanna wait until March or possibly until god knows when, but I also don’t want to regret my decision if I go for the 8K Plus. The only reason I want a Pimax headset in the first place is the wide FOV. I’m pretty satisfied with the resolution of my Index and the 8K Plus should supposedly be the same or higher res than the Index. I’m also someone who doesn’t care for simulator games or reading details on dials.

I’m just gonna get the 8K Plus and then maybe do @Yen’s plan.

3 Likes

Maybe wait for reviews before you jump the gun.

3 Likes

At least they extended the upgrade plan but nobody knows till when yet. They certainly need to answer the question about wireless and/or extension cable on the 8kX in upscaled mode to prove it’s truly flexible enough to skip the 8k+. Until then they will see people holding on to their cash in the forums here over something their engineers should be able to answer in ten minutes if they are worth their salt.

I think Pimax won’t still exist by then.

The p5k+ and p8k are about the same resolution as the Index, to my eye (only with 5k+ on the Pimax side), and also according to extremely coarse bitmap_height/vertical_FOV calculations; And the p8k+ will be the exact same, because the input bitmap sizes remain the same as for the older devices, no matter how many more physical pixels the screens happen to have. As frequently pointed out: The p8k+ is essentially what everybody thought the p8k would be, until macro through-the-lens photography revealed the ugly truth about its screens.

Sure, the resampling could be perceived somewhat more pleasant in a way, compared to the “harsh” nature of the targetting-native-res older devices, even accounting for the supposed diffuser in the Index, but that’s dependent on one’s sensibilities: I, e.g, much as I hate aliasing, will take a hefty bit of of it any day, over even the tiniest hint of blur (and therefore have SteamVR’s: “advanced supersampling filtering” resolutely: off, for devices that run directly against OpenVR/SteamVR (last SteamVR beta patch notes suggest that up until only just now - even non-steamvr-native headsets, such as Oculus, WMR, and then one would reason also Pimax, have somehow had their images affected by that setting, btw, for games that go through SteamVR)), but am well aware that there’s a ton of people out there with the opposite opinion. :7

Personally I think if one already have one of the two older models, a sidegrade to a p8k+ is utterly pointless, and a waste of money, unless SDE is one’s single most important pet peeve. The X, meanwhile, should offer an actual resolution boost, and we wantsss it, preciousss. :stuck_out_tongue:

(That’s not to say the p8kX I have on order will necessarily actually end up replacing my Index, even with the x1.5 resolution upgrade; There’s still the same-old-same-old lenses, and the cascade of issues they bring with them, as well as the now gargantuan difference in refresh rates on offer, and a few other concerns… :7)

4 Likes

Super controversial but neither. I am unhappy with the back-light-bleed of my 5K+ and lack of 120Hz mode due to early model. I’ll wait for BLB measurements from people who receive the early models. And I am glad I waited. I knew it would be delayed

I hope people are happy

2 Likes

As an 8KX backer i will obviously receive the 8KX, and that would have been the one I would have chosen, if I had to. Having said that, at this point I would not have pre-ordered any of the two, but would wait for the first wave to go out and be received in the field and then see what people say. Imho the price is just too high to bet on it…

3 Likes

I have preordered the 8kx despite my better judgement. Hopefully pimax will exceed our expectations and deliver a finished product.

5 Likes

Preordered Pimax 8kX as fast as possible. Willing to wait a little longer for it.

Though I do want to receive it as fast as possible. I have mildly urgent simulation/desktop use cases for it.

3 Likes