Apparently 72 Hz refresh is good enough for mobile VR…

…so the Pimax 8K’s current limit of 80 Hz may not be so bad.

The Oculus Go only has a 72 Hz refresh, which seems to be “good enough” for a “fast switching” LCD panel:

“…its action stands out thanks to a locked frame rate of… 72Hz. VR experts may look at that number and scoff, as reps from both Oculus and SteamVR have long insisted that 90Hz is the frame-rate sweet spot for VR panels. But Oculus representatives insist that a slightly lower refresh rate will suffice for clear, comfortable VR action, and I am here to say that a full week of Go testing has proven this out.”

1 Like

Yeah I’m not that worried about 80-83 Hz

2 Likes

I’m also unsure its going to be a problem ,psvr 120hz is sickening for me ,vive 90hz (when it can) is great ,most of the sickness i get is through poor visuals and having better resolution takes eye strain away and less focus on frame rate .at least that’s my experience

2 Likes

This is for a system that doesn’t have room scale. If you want to move around in an environment you need 90Hz if you don’t want to get sick. This is why people with pimax 4k and old oculus dev kits don’t have motion sickness is because all the experiences are seated.

2 Likes

Well i walk around using razer hydra (more standing) & have done so with all three lg phones @60hz lg g2 /g4 & g6.

Some users here have been using psmove & nolo with the 4k. So not just seated but standing & some with a roomscale of sorts.

And as you can see Oculus with the Go is not clinging to 90hz. But even less than the dk2’s 75hz by -3hz.

Woodbine Mall in Toronto is still using dk2 on a motion platform.

Mobile vr is not good enough for pc vr. Jesus 90hz is barely enough.

Sales disagree. Lol. And as you can see evem oculus is driving 72hz on the go -3hz to dk2 & -18hz to cv1. :v::smirk::beers:

Lg phones mentioned are also lcd not oled
G2 res 19201080
G4 res 2560
G6 res 2880*1440

I believe atm only LG v30 is oled.

Though with PSVR at 1920*1080 at 120hz did feel a bit off using it after awhile in certain titles.

I have to agree. Motion sickness happens under combinations of multiple factors, not just refresh rate.
Point is in PSVR I got almost instantly sick and they got best refresh rate. Problem is when you enter in VR world if there is any latency or delay which is affecting your natural senses, especially in middle ear causing this discomfort. Seasick is the best example what is going on with a body.
In the end, you can train your body and reduce or even completely eliminate motion sickness with time. Also, pills for motion sickness helps too.

1 Like

This is a nightmare. You people are insane.

maybe just maybe or is it all a dream :japanese_ogre:

1 Like

Phantasm.

“It’s a dream”

Tallman “No it’s not”

Carful wit them balls ay :soccer::volleyball::basketball::rugby_football::8ball::football::tennis:

I’d love to see the INDEPENDENT research that states 90hz is a minimum requirement for VR. Just because the hardware vendors say so, has always sounded like “pushing their product” to me. 80hz I’ll wager will be just fine for the 8K, but probably not for the types that spend more time watching the FPS counter than the other 99% of what’s on the screen :wink:

3 Likes

Right, it’s only a number. The Oculus Go actually defaults to 60 Hz. You only get 72 Hz if it’s overclocked. It might be that OLEDs need a faster framerate than LCD panels, to prevent nausea, due to the differences in technology.

The only pertinent questions are: Do you get nauseous and are any games or apps restricted to 90 Hz?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the Santa Cruz 6dof system is also using the 72hz refresh rate. While not as good as 90, they pretty much have to compromise somewhere for a mobile GPU.

1 Like

You guys keep saying 90hz is a magic number for arguments sake. It’s about having as high a refresh rate as possible. The more dense the frames, the stronger the sense of physicality of the world. If I looked at a strobe going 80hz vs 90hz I’d see a substantial difference. The higher the frequency of the strobing light, the more it looks like it’s a solid beam of light. Less hz sucks for immersion. Slicing ten frames every second really is not good. The other half of the concern is about quality. Call me an immersion whore or whatever you like, but immersion is the whole point. Overwhelming the senses with visual and aural information to cross that line where the mind accepts a new space and new context.

1 Like

Yes psvr provides the best experience & oculus has stuck by their conclusions & made the Go 90hz. Lol

We know both of those statements are false. You were even the one that used Oculus’ conclusions as the it must be.

Oculus obviously has changed their mind. Sony bought the conclusion & said we’ll do 120hz and is no better.

While more is always seen as better; it seems res & refresh are a balancing act. Sure the 2 will meet in the middle somwwhere.

As was said independentl research is needed vs a company doing marketing research to sell a product.

After all no complaints during the demo about immersion.

The new Oculus gear may pose less of a threat than some seem to think. There’s more info here: Oculus reveals its next big VR trick: Wider-FOV lenses that automatically move | Ars Technica

The thing that caught my eye is that this seems to be part of a “five-year timeline”, which will finally introduce a 4K view for each eye and only 140 degree FOV.

That’s the kind of thing that makes me glad I’m getting an 8K.

1 Like

Respectfully, I disagree. It about having a sufficiently good refresh rate so that the VR world “feels real”.

I understand your point, more than most. Years ago, my “personal superpower” (or defect) was that I could EASILY see the difference between CRT monitor refresh rates: 60, 75, or 85 Hz. I astounded my coworkers by being able to tell them their refresh rate with 100% accuracy. No one else (of ~70 people) could tell the difference between 75 and 85 Hz, although some could detect 60 Hz monitors. The downside is that I found it draining to use the more common 60 Hz CRTs.

That being say, CRTs are very different from LCDs. I have no trouble with using a 60 Hz LCD monitor, because of the long image persistence. I’m willing to believe that 90 Hz is important for a rapidly flashing OLED screen, but an LCD screen might not have the same problem.

TL;DR I don’t think we should be too concerned with the current 80 Hz refresh rate, until the M1 testers have a chance to examine the units and give us a first-hand report. If they feel it’s an issue, Pimax will hopefully try harder to find a 90 Hz solution.

1 Like

** Moving this thread to General Discussions from Pimax 8K Catagory ** as this is not related to the 8K

cheers

Eno

1 Like