AMD RX 7900 XT VR issue with Pimax Home and SteamVR Home

Just a heads up that with the current Pimax Play 1.16 and AMD RX 7900 XT, for some reason, both Pimax Home and SteamVR Home seem to run the GPU at full utilization and causing quite a bit of heat build up.

This seems not to be an issue in VR titles that I have tested which run more around 90% utilization with GPU and HotSpot Temps sitting around 60 to 70 degrees. Pimax Home and SteamVR Home run temps more along high 70’s for the GPU and over 100 for the HotSpot.

VR aside from that, and not being able to turn my monitor off without it killing the connection to my 8K-X at the same time (have to keep monitor turned on), is running really well with good clarity and colour.

This is strange tho, running in VR titles leads lower degrees?

Hmmm. This is new for me!

2 pics

SteamVR Home on

and when it is turned off but SteamVR is still running and this is the same result I get in Il2 VR

The main concern is the GPU Hotspot Temperature at the bottom. This is the same for Pimax VR with Pimax Home turned on and then with it turned off.

I tried using Radeon Chill in the Game settings manu under SteamVR to see if that would help with SteamVR Home but to no avail.

The steam vr beta appears to have resolved this recently. Have you tried the beta release?

Thanks for that.

I have noticed the recent updates to SteamVR now seem to recognise the GPU capabilities of the 7900XT. Maybe with that, they have also fixed SteamVR home for the regular SteamVR version.

I am enjoying the 7900XT in SW Squadrons and Il2 Great Battles. It runs great.

Nice good to hear. I was previously using PiPlay version 1.13 now 1.14 without issues on my 7900XTX and 5K super. Performance is really very good since the July 2023 driver from AMD. Your 8KX is version 2075 I’m guessing as 2076 isn’t compatible with AMD gpu’s from what I understand. I really wish the 2076 version could work with my 7900XTX as it is completely capable of powering it but the firmware is incompatible according to Pimax representatives. I doubt the firmware will ever be made compatible so my brand new 8KX (2076)just sits on a shelf until I decide what I want from it other than a lesson in product research.

You could always plug in your 8K-X and give it a whirl with the latest drivers and firmware. Seems Pimax and AMD have come a long way in a short amount of time recently. Hope it works out for you but at least you have the 5K to fall back on.

Great headsets and I am glad I got the 7900XT as a GPU upgrade as Nvidia is not doping it for me in a few areas.

Yea I’ve considered it but I’m concerned about possible damage to the headset and/or borking up my Piplay software configuration and having to go through troubleshooting again. Maybe I’ll give it a go one day but no rush at this point after sitting there for nearly a year already. Was kinda hoping Quorra would chime in here with a glimmer of hope.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.